V-Twin Forum banner

New Harley

4K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  hd107a 
#1 ·
Just bought a 14 Limited in the spring, this is my fifth new Harley. This is the worst experience I have had with a new Harley. Here are some of the issues I have had to deal with since I picked it up:
Infotainment system sucks.
They failed to put air in the rear shocks.
Chirping noises, some of the bolts weren't tightened.
Had to deal with at least 3 recalls on it, I am 2 1/2 hours from the dealer.
Had some extra lighting put on and they screwed that up, had to have them redone.
Have a high pitch resonating sound which they can't find, very annoying, I will find it.
I absolutely love the bike even with the problems I have had. I consider these minor issues although for the price of them they shouldn't be there.
At this point I wouldn't even consider a different bike.

#2 ·
Just bought a 14 Limited in the spring, this is my fifth new Harley. This is the worst experience I have had with a new Harley. Here are some of the issues I have had to deal with since I picked it up:
Infotainment system sucks.
They failed to put air in the rear shocks.
Chirping noises, some of the bolts weren't tightened.
Had to deal with at least 3 recalls on it, I am 2 1/2 hours from the dealer.
Had some extra lighting put on and they screwed that up, had to have them redone.
Have a high pitch resonating sound which they can't find, very annoying, I will find it.

I absolutely love the bike even with the problems I have had. I consider these minor issues although for the price of them they shouldn't be there.
At this point I wouldn't even consider a different bike.
And there in lies the real problem. Until we demand better, HD will keep feeding you WWII rations.

#3 ·
Love my 14 SGS, but I agree with you on the recalls. Taking mine in for its 3rd recall visit on Wednesday. Haven't had any issues with the Infotainment system, other than updates they take care of when it's in for recall work. Hope that high pitched resonating sound doesn't turn out to be a major issue down the road. When/If you find out what's causing it let us hear what you found.

#5 ·
The minor issues we all find on everything we purchase is the underlying issue of mfg in the USA, most assembly people have no pride in their work. Unfortunately, we are the cause of our problems. Robots, because of repeatability, are the answer to less defects, but humans still need to be the final eyes for quality. I am a production mgr and see this every day.
I love my '14 Limited and even the recalls don't really bother me as long as they are fixed and don't hide anything.

#24 ·
As long as the bean counters control the pocket book and until the engineers live in the real world these problems won't go away.

Sorry if this doesn't sit well with any above mentioned, but that's my take on it. The bean counters won't slow things down and the egos of engineers won't let them admit they make mistakes like anyone else.

Before anyone accuses me of not liking bean counters and engineers- you are absolutely correct.

I have seen too many good solid products cut to pieces by bean counters and ruined by engineers that are afraid to get their hands dirty or admit they made a boo-boo.

The things the dealer does before the customer picks up his new machine isn't the factory's fault. That is nothing more than laziness or incompetence by the dealership. Ripping the service manager a new one and filing complaints with the bbb is one way to go, or if possible, change dealerships.

#6 ·
my 2002 fxdx-t with 60,000+ miles has been worked on and highly modified by indies. I can't do it my self. It runs perfectly and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

#7 ·
Sorry to hear about your problems. Harley did make a lot of changes in 2014 so I'm not surprised there are some recalls and other issues. It's almost like buying a first year model - you have to expect some problems. Hopefully, you will get all the bugs worked out this first year and have many trouble free years after.

#8 ·
Sorry to hear about your problems. Harley did make a lot of changes in 2014 so I'm not surprised there are some recalls and other issues. It's almost like buying a first year model - you have to expect some problems. Hopefully, you will get all the bugs worked out this first year and have many trouble free years after.
That's a damn cop-out, more like a load of horsesh!t. That may have been true in the stone age, but now, with computers, technology, and whole departments dedicated to so-called quality control, any sh!t like this is inexcusable. Not to mention paying over-premium prices. HD has had that same fockin' platform since prohibition, calling any air-cooled Harley a "new model" is drinking kool-aid until your eyes leak.

#12 ·
Quality control and harley Davidson are not synonymous, and never has been. The only company that would sell you a brand new vehicle, the ink isn't dry on the contract, it won't start in the parking lot on it's maiden voyage and they have the gall to tell you it will ll be 2 weeks before the can look at it. And we accept that, thos is why harley is as it is. BTW, THAT IS A TRUE STORY, it was my first brand new harley. It hasn't gotten any better either. I got it home fixed it ans never set foot in that dealer again.
If you have ever .managed a business, or owned a business, you know what the current workforce is, they expected to get paid to show up,

#14 ·
man i'd love to have a nice new bagger. don't get me wrong i love my ole girl but, long rides or even just fall rides would sure be better served on a warmer plate! i could live with recalls, it's the dealer items that really let ya down. i dropped mine off at our dealer for an oil cooler install. they broke a bolt in the motor mount then actually had the balls to say,, "it was probably like that when we got it"... lmfao,, uh huh ok.. bye..

#19 ·
Don't get discouraged. There are always problems and there are success stories. You get the complainers and winers on the forum talking about their issues but seldom here the success stories.

I bought a 2002 Road King Thanksgiving day 2002 and have 200,000 miles on it. No major issues or even minor issues that weren't dealt with by the dealer in timely fashion. The first time the engine was out of the frame was at 160,000 miles and that was to upgrade the engine with a 103" stroker kit. Still going strong.

#17 ·
Chill man and get that new scoot. All these guys are internet BS artists and its all a ploy to keep assholes from buying Harleys. Every now and then one slips through but for the most part Harley owners are pretty cool folks and we're all happy as hell with our bikes.

#20 · (Edited)
Chill man and get that new scoot. All these guys are internet BS artists and its all a ploy to keep assholes from buying Harleys. Every now and then one slips through but for the most part Harley owners are pretty cool folks and we're all happy as hell with our bikes.
:hystria:.....Now that is some really funny sh!t right there.

Says he who has completely reinvented his "Harley" with aftermarket parts.

Buy that new scoot and tell us how it works out. That'll end all the internet BS.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&gws_rd=ssl#hl=en&q=harley+davidson+recalls

#18 ·
Most of the things I experienced are dealer items and not HD, note I said Most. Back in 06 I bought a new Ultra Classic and as usual they deliver it with a full tank of gas. The dealer fills up the new bikes at a gas station across the street. The last step for me to get the bike was for them to go across the street and fill it with gas. All of a sudden I hear the engine rev and the guy flies by me directly into the shop with gas pouring all over the place. He told me that someone forgot to tighten the nut on the bottom of the gas tank for the gas line. They got it all fixed and I rode away. I don't mind some of the little things although annoying, S**t happens and we move on. This with the gas line shouldn't have happened, I could see my new bike going up in flames and I hadn't even rode it yet!

#23 ·
Thanks guys--I feel a wee bit better.
:)
I will buy a Harley--just a matter of time.
Having a heck of a time deciding, though.
A used Streetglide, a Switchback or a Dyna Wide glide to play with. And then there is the one I first got a Jones for---'Fatboy'.
My Vulcan Classic LT is a good ride, but I agree that it doesn't have the same appeal.
However, yesterday on a 275 mile leaf peeping ride up north--the road, the wind on my top knot and view kept me from thinking too much about that.

#25 ·
Buy it and leave any worries behind. You can always sell it if you are not happy, everyone has to have an HD at least once so get on with it. Besides that, the cool factor is usually enough to offset any mechanical shortcomings.

They are also relatively easy to "customize" or make changes to, which is half the fun for many.

#27 ·
Hold your dealer accountable

When I bought my 2012 Ultra I had the "voltage regulator problem" about 3 months before the recall came out. I had the bike for about a month or so. Rode it to the dealership and had them put it right in the shop and replace it while I waited. They had to take the regulator off a bike on the showroom floor because they had none in stock and they ran the serial number to make sure it wasn't part of the recall. I had to get the sales manager and the service manager involved but I got done what I needed done.

#28 ·
Found a 2000 Fatboy with lots of extras. Showroom shape. Carbed, Pythons, new and better lights, highway bars, chrome swing arm, two piece seat, detachable rest...sounds sweet.
Thinking real serious. My machinist/mechanic son can't wait to get his greasy hands on it.
:)
Short money over a new one and a 40 year HD mechanic went over it.

#32 ·
So what's new.. I bought a new FLH in 74 and on my way home at the 12 mile mark I had a pushrod blow through the rocker cover.. Thank you AMF. Doesn't seem like things have changed that much since then... New technology is great but it does always work according to plan. I like my EVO's I think I'll stick with them awhile longer...

#41 ·
My new 14 Limited has had it's share of recalls and other minor annoyances but I still love it. I don't need or want the quickest or fastest bike out there, I want one that makes me feel good when I ride it and the Harley does that. I won't be upgrading the engine or adding a bunch of chrome, I will just ride and enjoy. It might be an old and tired design but it's just right for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.