Do all Harleys hold their value about the same? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2004, 12:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hardass

Lardog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just a little actual data to show the difference within a single product line...

Code:
04 Retail   00 KBB Retail   Difference

FXST		
$13,695       $13,520         1.28%
               FXSTB		
$14,995       $13,780         8.10%
               FXSTD		
$16,795       $15,600         7.12%
               FXSTS
$16,495       $15,470         6.21%
               FLSTC		
$16,995       $15,730         7.44%
               FLSTF		
$16,245       $15,990         1.57%
This shows that over the last 4 years, the FXST holds its value best (within the Softail line only), with the Fat Boy a close second. Goes to show that it is not just the higher end bikes that best hold their value.

The only thing it doesn't consider is the actual MSRP of the bike when new in 00. With that data, many, if not all, would have likely increased in value.

Last edited by Lardog; 05-05-2004 at 12:33 PM.
Lardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2004, 01:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I read an article how HD wanted to attrract the 20s crowd. Most twenty year old can't afford 17+. I think making it so yiu could buy sporties at msrp a little easier would help some. Maybe media campaign. But then you will piss off the older riders, if you call it a young persons bike.
Some of it is just generation thing.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

I don't think you going to see the increase in value thing much. If you you do need to consider the extras, which you never get all your money back on.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 05-05-2004, 01:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

King Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mine increases faster then yours does cause it's mine!
King Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 03:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
In disguise

FXR2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Ghost
I just picked up a 04 Sporty, with the redesign of this bike, would it hold a better resale or am I in the same boat with other sporty owners?

I would think that the new Sportster, with all the improvements would hold its value better than previous years, and also serve to devalue previous years as well. Good for you, not so good for those owning '03 and earlier Sportys.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

hoggboy03 wants to know Dino or Syn?
if you want a bike that holds it value. softail with b- balanced motor. ever thing else seems to lose value after a couple years.
hoggboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

OldBoy99 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXR2
There's also been a lot of speculation lately on whether Harley has seen the best days, as the baby boomer generation ages and the younger riders don't focus on Harleys as much. The MoCo is trying to figure out a marketing strategy/product line that will perpetuate their business and hasn't really come up with a formula just yet. Buell didn't do it and neither did the V-Rod.
Put a V-Rod like (i.e. water-cooled with lots of power) motor in a sport-touring chassis (with maybe some other improvements such as ABS brakes and electrically adjustable windshield) and this "younger" rider (age 33) would be all over it. Of course, keep the styling pure Harley
OldBoy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

supersport wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy99
Put a V-Rod like (i.e. water-cooled with lots of power) motor in a sport-touring chassis (with maybe some other improvements such as ABS brakes and electrically adjustable windshield) and this "younger" rider (age 33) would be all over it. Of course, keep the styling pure Harley
The day H-D turns their touring line into boilers, is the day I start looking at a used air cooled variant for a second bike. That is, if I can ever afford to do so.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Why would you be against progress? Do you really think air coolded is better? Your just spouting rhetoric. Something is wrong if you don't want a better product. The best thing that will happen to Harley is when its riders die.
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 05-05-2004, 09:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
In disguise

FXR2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy99

Sounds like a hit to me. Something like this is exactly what I'd think HD would make. How about resurrecting the FXR frame and putting in a V-Rod motor? Listening, Milwaukee?

And at age 33, you shouldn't be allowed to call yourself "OldBoy".
Old 05-05-2004, 09:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
Fashion Conscious

luke611 wants to know Dino or Syn?
After riding a V-Rod for the first time last Saturday, I'd have to say that that engine in a Road King would make me seriously consider trading. Loved the power, didn't love the styling/riding position.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

Karl Scott wants to know Dino or Syn?
I own a v-rod, and I love the styling, position and performance. I also love Road Kings and Fatboys and a buncha other Harleys, even though they just aren't close to the v-rod for speed and handling. With the right pipes they even sound pretty bloody good. As for holding value, well, that wasn't my main concern, but as long as it's better than a Yammy...

DownunderV
Karl Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:08 AM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

col_kurtz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rode a friend's V-Rod. Daaaamn!!!! That is the longest First gear I have ever seen!!! I was at 65 and the tach was at 5K and had 4K more till redline. I ran out of road before I could stretch it out. Don'r care for the positioning either but that Revolution engine in an RK would be incredible. I love the air cooled engines but I can also appreciate a Harley liquid cooled with the juice this one has.
Drago's Dragula 2:1 with 2.55" baffle
Andrew 37H Cam
48mm Throttle Body
108 HP/106 TQ (may be subject to change)

- Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft and the only one that can be mass produced using unskilled labor. - Werner Von Braun
col_kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:38 AM   #29 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Dealer had a v-rod with dresser hard bags and a fairing with a low cut windshield. I thought it looked good. Also the one on the part catalog looks good. I think need to give them some time to see some customs.
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 05-06-2004, 07:57 AM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

OldBoy99 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXR2
And at age 33, you shouldn't be allowed to call yourself "OldBoy".
"OldBoy99" is a reference to my first HD, a 1999 Heritage Springer Softail, a.k.a. "Old Boy" because of its nostalgic styling.

It is kinda misleading.....maybe I should change my user name
OldBoy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement