V-Twin Forum banner

Excessive mileage

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  93Horse 
#1 ·
I am looking at an 09 RK FLHR with 68,500 miles on it. It looks and rides like new. Also there is a two year HD extended warranty included in the price which is $10,500. This will be my first Harley so I am wanting to pick the brains of you experienced folk. What are your thoughts?

#2 ·
You can buy a new RK for around than 20,000. The bike in question has a lot of miles and is 6 yrs old. Kinda hard to be real helpful without seeing the bike in question. I'd probably keep looking.

#4 ·
I know when I bought my 2009 Electra Glide Standard I was considering a RK and they were both the exact same price new. I am in the process of trading this bike in now and am getting KBB trade-in for it which is $10,000. FWIW the bike is in excellent condition with 27,000 miles and it has a number of extras including ABS, cruise, heated grips, Stage one tune with TTS, 4-point docking hardware, oil cooler, additional gauges, etc. So I believe 10,500 for the same value bike with over double the miles and w/o abs etc is a bit high.

#5 ·
I would try to talk them down some. I just bought an 04 with 55k for $9000. See if they have service records, from what you said it seems to have been taken care of. If you get it just keep in mind you will probably be putting money into it in a few years, sooner if you ride it a lot.

#6 ·
There's a thread here called Has Anyone Sold a Bike Lately.
Point of it is that it's easy to get used bikes for a really good price.
That being said....a friend of mine recently bought a Heritage Classic with 110 THOUSAND miles on it.
I'll never understand it, except the price was good and the bike is in excellent shape and runs solid.

#9 ·
That could prove to be a deal maker.Might be worth it,especially if your short on cash and bike's broke.

#10 ·
I wouldn't be inclined to pay that much for a bike with that kind of mileage. You can buy a low mileage softail for $7k.

Many twincam engines last a long time, but some don't. Since this is your first HD I wouldn't recommend taking a chance on that one. If you plan on keeping it for a while 2 yrs warranty isn't enough.

If you decide that you want that bike, make sure you get enough warranty to cover the entire length of the loan. That way if it croaks, you're not making payments on something you can't ride. Good luck and be sure to let us know what you decide.

#14 ·
Thx for the heads up, there is almost the identical bike here on craigslist for almost the same price as well. I looked at it and it ran perfect in the driveway but the owner would not let me ride it because he had no insurance on it. So I am still looking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.