» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums
New User? Register Forgot Password

V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums

V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums (http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/)
-   V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk (http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/v-twin-forum-general-harley-talk/)
-   -   2014 Indian (http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/v-twin-forum-general-harley-talk/267066-2014-indian.html)

Gunny4Sawx 08-05-2013 01:14 PM

Anyone know if it will be sold in Cali? I'm just wondering if their motor is C.A.R.B approved. The website sent me to a dealer in Vegas.

HDNA 08-05-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berserker (Post 2627106)
Yes, Willie is the ambassador of style now. :cool:

I don't care. That sounds pretty emotional to me. How many engines has Harley gone through? Besides, it really just comes down to if you like the bike or not. I really don't care about the rest.

Do you like the bike or not? Should be what you think about when buying.

Obviously not. It's an old and tired look IMO.

Harley engines have always been a work in progress. In the family, if you will. There is lineage there, updates and changes over time. Never a completely different power-plant and/or manufacturer from one release date to another. Big difference there. You always knew who built it and where it came from. The only real exception is the Revolution and that was marketed as a whole different animal, not coming out as replacing the traditional and both engines were available at the same time.
Indian is a whole different story, including outsourcing the engine to S&S, off the rack.

vanslam 08-05-2013 03:52 PM

Being a former owner of a 1948 Indian, the experince of that bike means a differnet thing to me than a modern crusier with chrome. When riding that bike, with the left hand throttle, right hand spark advance, kick starter, foot clutch and right side hand shifter, it was all about the experience tying me with the machine. Sure it wasn't easy to ride in the beginning; but, I got use to it and was paid back by many enjoyable miles. The procedure to start the bike was simple; but, needed to be followed or the bike just wont start. It was a simple bike at its essence that wasn't really fast, handled just okay, stopped when given enough room and not all could or would want to ride; but, that was its part of its charm. It was a bike with character. Ridning this bike made me smile with out the chrome, heavy torque and horsepower marketing blast from the manuafacturers. Of course I own a touring Harley, and enjoy that very much. But, I always think about riding that old indian and know that I owned and rode something special. And before you ask I sold the Indian to a guy in Austriala who had to have it. Sometimes I regret it; but, at least I know what a real orginal Indian is all about and can tell you that the new Indian isn't really the same. Sure we have changed and technology has come a long way; but, is progress always a good thing? So the Indian has changed owners again and is getting more modern becasue thing have changed; but, the real question is if the real essence of that simple Indian bike is still there? I think not. So in closing, yeah I have to give props to Polaras for keeping the Indian name alive and lowering the price of the bikes; but, for me an Indian motorcyce will always be ones made from 1901 to 1953. Oh by the way the original Indian motorcycle they show in their website that they compare to the new one is either a 1948 or 1949 indian chief. Here is a video I made and posted on youtube of the Indian. I think you may get a better apppriecation for the bike and what I am saying. Oh and by the way if I had $20 grand to blow I get another old Indian; however, I would not turn down a free new one. LOL.

derryberryc 08-05-2013 04:52 PM

I hope it spurs harley into a time where they see quality control needs to be addressed or they will lose some market share. It's interesting how this thread has evolved into harley losing, not indian winning. It's like a boxer who loses to an underdog, he lost not the underdog won.

berserker 08-05-2013 04:56 PM

I'd like to see someone kick over a big ass engine. I have no desire for hand shifter either, there is a reason why they are gone.

filterless 08-05-2013 05:14 PM

the new motor actually kinda looks like a flatty, it would have been a nice
touch if they finned the rocker covers. bet it doesn't idle down to a nice
lope, harley would seal the deal if their motors kept that quality.

couldn't afford one even if i wanted one, a new harley either. no worries
tho, i like my ride and there's enough in the budget to keep it running for
a long time.

sgmfisher 08-05-2013 08:47 PM

Kick over is no problem. That's why they make a compression releas, or compression releas cams. As far as shifting, hand clutch and hand shift is not a biggy. Not if you have ever done it anyway. I always liked HD left hand shift and shift gate better than the Indian no gate lever. Their idea of the oil tank being integrated in to the gas tank was a pretty neat idea though. In the wind.

Pops

Nitram_b4 08-05-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgmfisher (Post 2628922)
Kick over is no problem. That's why they make a compression releas, or compression releas cams. As far as shifting, hand clutch and hand shift is not a biggy. Not if you have ever done it anyway. I always liked HD left hand shift and shift gate better than the Indian no gate lever. Their idea of the oil tank being integrated in to the gas tank was a pretty neat idea though. In the wind.

Pops

Yup until your brother takes your bike and puts gas in the oil like my father's brother did :)

sgmfisher 08-05-2013 09:18 PM

If my brother did that I'd have to kill him for being stupid. The cap said OIL right on top of it for krist sakes. In the wind.

Pops

T.W.Dustin 08-05-2013 11:09 PM

I will stick with my Road King but more competition is a good thing. I wish them well.

HDNA 08-06-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derryberryc (Post 2628354)
I hope it spurs harley into a time where they see quality control needs to be addressed or they will lose some market share. It's interesting how this thread has evolved into harley losing, not indian winning. It's like a boxer who loses to an underdog, he lost not the underdog won.

That's because they have owned the heavyweight market forever. Harley has had much stiffer and more technical competition shoved up their corporate azzes for multiple decades now. The predictions of their demise are also forever and date back to the dinosaurs. No pun intended!!!

DLL66 08-06-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDNA (Post 2628226)
Indian is a whole different story, including outsourcing the engine to S&S, off the rack.

The current Indian engines are not S&S. This is from Indian's FAQ page.

What kind of powertrain does the new Indian Motorcycle® use?
Did you build it yourself or buy it off the shelf?

The 2014 Indian® Chief® is powered by the all-new Thunder Stroke™ 111. The new engine delivers an incredible 119 ft/lbs of torque and features styling that pays tribute to legendary Indian Motorcycle® engines of the past. Engineered and developed from the ground up by Indian Motorcycle, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Polaris Industries, all engines are manufactured at our Osceola, Wisconsin facility.

berserker 08-06-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDNA (Post 2629242)
The predictions of their demise are also forever and date back to the dinosaurs. No pun intended!!!

What do you consider the 60s? History can repeatself. If something can happen once, no reason it can't happen again.

Why would HD riders want a nostalgic looking bike? Since they are into the super modern look.:yikes:

BOUTYM 08-06-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLL66 (Post 2629290)

The 2014 Indian® Chief® is powered by the all-new Thunder Stroke™ 111. The new engine delivers an incredible 119 ft/lbs of torque and features styling that pays tribute to legendary Indian Motorcycle® engines of the past. Engineered and developed from the ground up by Indian Motorcycle, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Polaris Industries, all engines are manufactured at our Osceola, Wisconsin facility.

Should be interesting to see how well they hold up. Typically with anything new and exciting I wait and let others feel the pain first.

HDNA 08-06-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLL66 (Post 2629290)

I am well aware of the new engine and it's origins. I was speaking to their long and disrupted history. As I said, yet another company building Indian engines.