» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums
New User? Register Forgot Password

V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums

V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums (http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/)
-   V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk (http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/v-twin-forum-general-harley-talk/)
-   -   2014 Indian (http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/v-twin-forum-general-harley-talk/267066-2014-indian.html)

DLL66 08-13-2013 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guydoc77 (Post 2645081)
Bob and I test rode them together. We both rode the Chieftain model.
That was really the only one I was interested in.
I gotta tell ya, for the price(s) of the bike(s), there's a lot of bang for the buck.
The handlebars are already internal wired.
Levers and switch housings are already chrome as are the mirrors.
Chrome in all the right places on the engine and primary/transmission as well.
Only three colors. No biggie with me.
The bikes are very well appointed as they sit.
You won't have to spend a few grand chroming them out. They are already there, like a CVO bike is. So for the Chieftain, at 23K, with ABS and security stock and with a pretty good sounding stereo in the fairing with a hidden MP3 port, it's hard to beat the price.

As far as the ride. I also felt it rode extremely well. Very, very smooth. And the adjustable windshield is awesome I agree. With 4 inches of up/down travel, I managed to dial in the sweet spot that allowed me to look over the shield yet not have buffeting with my full face helmet. Very nice. The engine felt very strong and smooth at low revs and midrange. I didn't redline it like Bob did. I had no vibration up to about 4K. The bike did 85 mph without much of an effort and it was so smooth at 80 that it didn't seem like I was going 80. Also, I hammered it in 6th at about 58 mph. Pulled smoothly right out of the garbage can up to 75 or so.

Bob noticed valve train noise. I didn't on the one I rode.
The bike was very quiet except for when I shifted. There's a definite "clunk".
With the windshield adjusted just right, there was very little wind noise.
The brakes were very good. Smooth application and confidence inspiring.
The hard bags are a tad bit bigger than stock HD hard bags.

We checked out the cutaway engine closely.
Very similar to the X Wedge indeed as far as bread and butter construction.
I asked the engineer about adding Indian's "stage 1" exhaust.
He said that the ECM with it's wide band sensors will compensate for the exhaust. He also said that the "stage 1" exhaust will add some power. Wouldn't say how much though.
The engineer also seemed to think that there was a high likelihood of a proprietary tuning device down the road. He wouldn't commit to that and didn't say it in so many words but the feeling I got from him was that, yes, there would be one.

Lastly, a five year warranty.
Yeah, you read that right. Five years.
One year unlimited and four years extended service warranty.
No, you don't have to purchase it separately.
As far as the bottom line with the extended service portion, the marketing babe said, basically, it amounts to a $50 deductible.

I will seriously consider a Chieftain for my next bike.
This is a very hard to beat package as it sits.
And, if the aftermarket steps up, the fairly obscene price of parts and accessories will only come down. To me the extremely high price of the genuine Indian parts/accessories is an issue. We'll have to see what the aftermarket does to provide them with some competition.

Thanks for the review!

DLL66 08-13-2013 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgmfisher (Post 2643881)
So, let it go Ahar. What's wrong with a v-twin forum?? What's wrong with all v-twins?? There are basicly two kinds of riders anyway, those that ride v-twins and those that don't. Actually, I don't know where the bigest number of poser are, here or riding other v-twins. Not letting outsiders in is a big sign of insecurity. Who cares if a Honda or Kawasakis rider should chime in with something to say.In the wind.

Pops

This forum started out as HarleyDavidsonForum.com (or something close to it). It was forced to change its name and this is what is what is has become (v-TwinForum.com) That is why this forum is so heavily based as a HD forum.

Nitram_b4 08-13-2013 05:13 AM

I think they nailed it, wish they had a stripped down model in the 16,000 range tho

BVBOB 08-13-2013 08:32 AM

Say what you want about everyone wanting a Harley, how many generations will it take before people wise up that they are paying for what used to be and not what is now in the fact that a Harley off the showroom floor is a slow, overpriced, average quality piece of machinery. They will only get by for so long on their past heritage.
If there is one thing I noticed this year at the rally it was the huge number of Victory motorcycles along with a good number of every other manufacturer's presence.
While I don't expect Indian to take over the market I certainly don't see them folding any time soon either.
Could you imagine buying a new pickup and then having to change exhaust, air cleaner, probably cams etc just to make it an average powered driver?

<G Man> 08-13-2013 09:45 AM

Thanks for those first hand reviews guys!

I must say that I saw a lot of Victory bikes this spring in PCB for the Thunder Beach rally. I never saw one on a trailer though so they must not be making the cut. :)

I'm not in the market right now but I am interested in the new Indians and want to see where this goes.

BTW, I hold no ill will for anyone riding whatever they want to ride. No fanboi here.

sgmfisher 08-13-2013 10:15 AM

BVBOB, you have expressed in a much nicer way, exactly what I was trying to say. You say it so much nicer than me though. G Man , you also expressed the way I feel, only much nicer, " no fanboi" either. If I were to ever buy a vehicle that cost so much and had so many built in problems, I would probably persue the Lemon Law. Harley does have some endearing traits that I like, sooo I tolerate them. If it were to be my only transportation, I wouldn't touch one with a stick. As far as the board goes, all in all it is a pretty good board and is the source of some good information. Pettiness does get me down though, and for some reason, I some times respond poorly. In the wind.

Pops

hogcowboy 08-13-2013 10:59 AM

I probably shouldn't admit it but I've had two Electra Glides and never trusted either one to go more than 400-500 miles from home. And I put 66,000+ miles on the 85 I had. My Honda and BMW I wouldn't hesitate to go over 1,000+ miles from home and did. 44,000+ miles on the Honda and 63,000+ miles on the BMW. Something just always breaks or stops working on the Harleys. Not a confidence builder. And it's little things that I could always limp home with. That's why I'm watching what happens with these new Indians. I'd like to be able to trust a big v-twin. The only one I could was my VTX and I went and totaled it. Just after getting it all set up for touring better. I hope if nothing else Indian gets Harley to bring their reliability up a little.

guydoc77 08-13-2013 02:06 PM

I don't think reliability is a major issue with the late model Harleys. Sure some have some problems, but, by and large, you can put 100,000 miles on a stock HD with only routine maintenance.

The bigger issue is what Bob eluded to. The pre '09 baggers had their "wobble" issue for decades. And HD did nothing to correct it. To get any HD to look "completed" you have to spend about 5K in chrome and accessories which they will eagerly sell to you. Chrome switch housings, master cylinders, levers, mirrors. Bars are not internally wired. The non-CVO bikes have non-floating rotors (The Indians come with floaters standard). ABS is an expensive option on an HD, standard on an Indian. Everything from the shift pegs and rods to the foot pegs and floorboards is plain Jane on a new HD.

And then there's the power issue. Come on guys. You spend 22K on a new Ultra and it puts 68 hp and 80 lb/ft to the ground with a 96"? IMO those numbers are truly pathetic. And the great, highly touted 6 speed has a top gear that is, essentially, unusable on a stock bike.

As I stated in my other post, when you look at what you're actually getting and can ride off the lot with the new Indians, to me it's no contest. For someone who wants a very capable, reasonably powerful bike to tour with, I think that new Chieftain is a real winner. Time will tell on their reliability. Time will tell how the aftermarket steps up. Time will tell how the hotrodding potential develops. I'll be paying very close attention.

Veglia Borletti 08-13-2013 02:51 PM

The Indians are really Polarises. Polaris could have called it an "Indiana" and designed it to look the same. Indian, my ass. It's hardly an Indian.

Anyway, they are very good looking and highly desireable. But the aftermarket will be limited and they are all going to look the same.

I think they will canabalize the VIctorys. I don't think Polaris is going to sell very many Victorys now. Who would want a VIctory when you could have a Indian? VIctorys never were very good looking because of the Nessie look. I think VIctory, at least the Nessies, is dead.

No one is going to buy the Crackpots or Crapshots, or whatever.

HDNA 08-14-2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogcowboy (Post 2646313)
I agree with you for the most part HDNA except for one part. Indian has never really competed until now. They've been an also ran.

And still are an also ran, Polaris gives some creditability but they have yet to "compete" hogcowboy.
Hey, Indian was first on the scene, an innovator, a few years ahead of HD and the best selling bike in the 1900's. In all probability HD copied them. They didn't make it. They have been pulled from the fridge and heated up a number of times now. But it's over, they are stale. Somebody here posted that Polaris bought them to give their new designs a more credible badge. I think that's accurate. The "buzz" is working as this thread shows. It looks like a Victory the more I look at it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veglia Borletti (Post 2647738)
The Indians are really Polarises. Polaris could have called it an "Indiana" and designed it to look the same. Indian, my ass. It's hardly an Indian.

Eloquently put!

berserker 08-14-2013 05:45 AM

Who cares if it is an Indian or not? Do you like the bike or not? Not like Harleys is the same bike it was 50 years ago. Atleast the new Indians look like an Indian.

I also agree with Bob, you don't buy a new truck and then change everything out to get it to run right. Though the bike culture is more likely to customize.

As far as doing 100k with just maintanence. BS. Not sure if any bike is really like that, but it aint Harley. How many volt regs last 100k?

Half_crazy 08-14-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guydoc77 (Post 2647674)
The pre '09 baggers had their "wobble" issue for decades. And HD did nothing to correct it. To get any HD to look "completed" you have to spend about 5K in chrome and accessories which they will eagerly sell to you. Chrome switch housings, master cylinders, levers, mirrors. Bars are not internally wired. The non-CVO bikes have non-floating rotors (The Indians come with floaters standard). ABS is an expensive option on an HD, standard on an Indian. Everything from the shift pegs and rods to the foot pegs and floorboards is plain Jane on a new HD.

And then there's the power issue. Come on guys. You spend 22K on a new Ultra and it puts 68 hp and 80 lb/ft to the ground with a 96"? IMO those numbers are truly pathetic. And the great, highly touted 6 speed has a top gear that is, essentially, unusable on a stock bike.

As I stated in my other post, when you look at what you're actually getting and can ride off the lot with the new Indians, to me it's no contest.

Quote:

I think they will canabalize the Victorys. I don't think Polaris is going to sell very many Victorys now. Who would want a VIctory when you could have a Indian? Victorys never were very good looking because of the Nessie look. I think VIctory, at least the Nessies, is dead.

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting both sides of the coin... Right brain/left brain... logical vs emotional. Damned interesting.

One thing the Indian name gives Polaris is that people won't be saying "THEY'RE COPYING HARLEY".

PS: I'd like to mention (again) that Ness had nothing to do with the design of Victory motorcycles. Also that Vic and Indian are separate companies, they don't share any parts, and each is shooting for a different target audience.

Z16Monte 08-14-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Anyway, they are very good looking and highly desireable. But the aftermarket will be limited and they are all going to look the same.

I think they will canabalize the VIctorys. I don't think Polaris is going to sell very many Victorys now. Who would want a VIctory when you could have a Indian? VIctorys never were very good looking because of the Nessie look. I think VIctory, at least the Nessies, is dead.

If I had to choose between the Vic s and Pretendians,it'd be a Vic. Indians have never been my cup of tea.

Half_crazy 08-14-2013 07:29 AM

Question for the Harley loyal:

If the "Pretendian" would outperform and out handle the equivalent HD... and if it proved to be reliable... and if the aftermarket caught up with it some... and if the dealers got to be a larger network.. and if the horsepower potential gets tapped with the availability of hot-rod stuff... and if Indian continues to offer more standard features for less cost:

Would you still dismiss it and buy from Harley?

The reason I ask, I'm not a brand loyal guy. I buy what is closest to and most easily converted to be MY bike... to do what I need it to do and do it well. I'm just trying to understand (no clichés please).

Danglide 08-14-2013 07:30 AM

not likely to see one around here...400 miles to the nearest dealer in this country,unless you want to go to Calgary,AB.My nearest HD dealer is 30 miles away.several more within a few hundred miles of em.

Nice warranty on them,but what good is it if you have to go on a major trip to get to a dealer?