arrrgh! put a small scratch on front fender : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mrafx wants to know Dino or Syn?
arrrgh! put a small scratch on front fender

So I decide to cobble together a propane smoker from some parts I canabalized from a worn out charbroil gas grill.

I go to set the drill down on the floor and as I am not paying attention to where the bike is in relation to the table I am setting at, the drill bit catches the front fender and put a nice scratch on my front fender.

boo whoo who. This is only the second brand new vehicle I've ever bought myself for myself, the first was last years 2012 Sportster 48.
Whata dope!

it's not to bare metal, at least it does not look like it. maybe I can polish it down/up/out some. black bike so maybe it won't show up too much with a little buff work.

Last weekend, I took an older Trans Am to Ronald McDonald House in Cleveland, I was making breakfast for the guests there. afterwards, pictures were wanted and when I went to move it back from the circular drive, I curbed it! Arrrgh! There went $300. or maybe $1200 if I have to refinish all four wheels so they color match.
Never done that before to any car.

Crappy weeks worth of days.

oh well still felt good to help do something for people at RMH.

The kids like the smoker we made and can't wait to try it. So, that should be fun being up late and early with them tonight/tomorrow.

Hopefully its all past me now and back to good times and rock and roll.

Last edited by mrafx; 05-26-2013 at 04:39 PM.
mrafx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u wants to know Dino or Syn?
Teaching your kids how things work and now to work with their hands to make their own, sharing your time and prize possessions to help charitable causes are worth way more than a pristine blemish free front fender. Congratulations on your choices and enjoy that smoker with your family.
jammer45u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
I did the self inflicted scratch/dent a long time ago. Brand new 91 FLSTF. First new Harley. I got it home and decided the front brake lever was not in a comfortable spot. Grabbed a phillips screwdriver and didn't cover the tank because.... well why would I right? I'm only slightly loosening 1 screw and slightly repositioning a lever, right? Well I put the screwdriver on the screw and the screwdriver musta had a little oil on the handle because she slipped out of my hand and popped up in the air and dropped straight down tip first on the right tank half near the cap. Put a dent with a scratch in the middle of the dent on my 1 hour old bike. I left it as it was to remind me what a jack ass I was.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
First scratches always hurt.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Do what thou wilt.

black05flhrci wants to know Dino or Syn?

I don't know.

In a way, it is good to get it over with.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

thanks for sharing your own mistakes. makes me feel a little better knowing I am not the only one.

I scratched the front fender of my moped when I was 14 the first day I had it, still have that moped today and wouldn't trade it for the world due to the memories from back then.

maybe this bike and the cars will be the same.

stuff isn't as important as people, but i do like and respect and worked hard for my stuff!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
FNG :)

RoadKingTerry wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did mine with my riding mower, clipped the left bag with the discharge chute... Was a $250.00 repair...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
RoadKingTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

immo wants to know Dino or Syn?
some folks can't have nothing.
immo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

lonslo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dont fret it, in a few years the whole thing will be on a shipment of scrap metal bound for the recycle center and they wont even notice. I have actually adopted that attitude and life is so much less stressful.. Remember , it is only a THING .
lonslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

ampster wants to know Dino or Syn?
ditto here...

Within the first couple of weeks I had my 2010 FLHTC in Nov 2009, the very first "add-on" I did was that windshield trim that screws onto the outer fairing with three screws, right below the windshield.

Outer screws went on OK, the inner one was putting up a fight and for some odd reason when I went to pull the screw driver off the screw I was still putting some pressure on it and it slipped.

It still has that 1" long squiggly scratch right below that center screw. Figured why bother attempting to fix it, maybe if I leave it there then that might offset any future bad mojo that might happen!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Kenney wants to know Dino or Syn?
Small scratch is OK, you just have the wrong story to go with it.
Stopped at this bar for a drink and these two dudes get into a knife fight in front of my bike -----etc.
I was riding along doing about 80+ when I started to pass this pickup truck. The driver (a woman) leaned out and spit out a mouth full of chaw landing on my front finder ------ etc.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I like the idea of a better story... unfortunately i can't tell a good story!

as for leaving the scratch to ward off any further ones, thats a good idea.

left the scratch of the front of my 81 slo-ped too, no one made that ugly blue color back then either.

LOL.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Kenney wants to know Dino or Syn?
So how about this one?
Thought of this one after I had posted.
"I was at this Biker rally and this really HOT striper / pole dancer was demonstrating her new “Lap Dance”. To my surprise and or good luck she was using my front finder for this demonstration. Durring this dance, unfortunately her G string slipped and she scratched my finder".

Old 05-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

qtrracer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
So how about this one?
Thought of this one after I had posted.
"I was at this Biker rally and this really HOT striper / pole dancer was demonstrating her new “Lap Dance”. To my surprise and or good luck she was using my front finder for this demonstration. Durring this dance, unfortunately her G string slipped and she scratched my finder".
I'll buy the fender
Old 05-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Back in the late 90s at was at my local dealership drooling over all the bikes I couldn't afford. Old guy there was picking up a brand new Ultra classic. He walks over to the service counter and picks up a hammer. Walks back over to his new bike and puts a small dent in the front fender. I almost $hit my pants. He tells the service guy "glad I got that over with."

Although I would never do that to my own bike, I can understand the reasoning. After that first scratch/dent you tend to adopt the "just ride the fukker" mentality and not worry so much about the small imperfections.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement