V-Twin Forum banner

120R Road King Vs Vrod?

23K views 125 replies 30 participants last post by  dog155 
#1 ·
Anyone have any opinions on which one is faster? Some friends and I were just shooting the **** about it the other day so I thought I'd get the opinion of others.

Any ideas?

J.

#2 · (Edited)
My opinion: V-Rod. I own a tweaked 2012 that eats my brother's heavily worked 110 RK. (I also used to own a 2010 103 Police RK). The 120 would have more grunt, but I give the V the edge based on power-to-weight ratio.
No matter how you cut it, an RK is heavy and spins slow. Over 800 lbs. if I remember right. My Vrod weighs about 600-610 with a titanium exhaust that saves 34 lbs. from stock.
For what it's worth, I don't think a 120 RK could run with my 1000 Ducati dual spark twin SuperSport, either, based on the same premise.
And are you asking "faster" or "quicker?"
I suspect the V would take "fastest" honors. Mine does an honest 140-plus. Not sure about the RK. It might win...

#3 ·
I've owned 3 VRods, own two Road kings now. I've had a few built bikes and CVOs. It's the usual story again, kinda sport bike Vs cruiser. The VRod comes on the cam about 4500 RPM and pulls like a tractor til the 9500 RPM limit. I would suspect a little off the line advantage to the heavier RK but when you hit power band on that VRod, the telephone poles go by like picket fence posts.

#6 ·
Anyone who has ridden both a V-Rod and RK knows this answer. For those who haven't, google 1/4 mile times for both. GENERALLY speaking, the RK is a 14 second bike and the V-Rod is a 12 second bike (Both Stock). There are ALWAYS exceptions. Performance mods can shave almost up to 2 seconds off of either.

Disclamer: This is in no way meant to reflect on the integrity of either bike. The RK is all about many things, but not speed. The V-rod is all about speed. These comments are relative to Harley Davidson Motorcycles only.

#7 ·
The question is a 120R vs a V-Rod. A 120CI vs. 76Ci stock motor.
I would guess a 120R would put out about 130HP as a bolt in, no extra work. A well tuned stock can put out around 110HP on stock form. A stock V-Rod is around 673 wet weight. The Dresser is around
811(RK) to 911(EG) wet weight. A stock V-Rod can with a good rider run around 11.60 - 11.80. Andrew Hines took a stock on a ran 11.20's. Put the $$$ in to a V-Rod that you have in a 120R and on the drag strip it wouldn't be close. My friend did his own V motor.
SE heads, Jones cams and a D&D pipe. Using a master tune, tuned at Zepka H.D. It put out 145 rear wheel up. It was tuned by a tuner who was taught by Doc. They are both good motors, each in there own way. It is all in what you want. By the way, my friends motor is stock bore and stroke. Whatever you have, ride it and enjoy it.

#9 · (Edited)
I bet you would...

If you're riding a V-Rod and come across a Road King with a 120R like this one... don't f**k with him:

11.20s on a bad day with an average rider.

I saw a V-Rod do 11.20s once, but it had nitrous on it.

#10 ·
We were comparing a stock or relatively stock (pipe/air filter) Vrod vs. a built Road King with a 120, which as an average would have HP in the 130-140 range depending on other modifications. I understand they are two totally different bikes and it's a tough comparo but still fun to spit ball.

I personally think the Road King would beat the Vrod (1/4 mile) and so does the calculator posted above using 110HP for the Vrod.

#13 ·
We were comparing a stock or relatively stock (pipe/air filter) Vrod vs. a built Road King with a 120, which as an average would have HP in the 130-140 range depending on other modifications. I understand they are two totally different bikes and it's a tough comparo but still fun to spit ball.

I personally think the Road King would beat the Vrod (1/4 mile) and so does the calculator posted above using 110HP for the Vrod.
The V has at least 110 and more on the ground generally, you are seriously saying the 120R has 130-140 on the ground??? Seriously? Go back to your "calculator" with rear wheel numbers. Not to mention the V was specifically built to launch very well and run the 1/4 mile more than nay other stock bike built to date, a nice advantage. Those big, heavy traditionals are not. The power transfer on the V is also smooth and instantaneous. The one piece engine/tranny and lack of all that mechanical drive train pays big dividends. My money is on the V. The big twins are lucky to see 1 HP per inch, (on the ground) let alone 1+. There alre also at laest 3 versions of the 120R, and they get less dependable and reliable the more radical you go. The V is an easy 100,000er.

#15 · (Edited)
I've run 2 Vrods at the track on my 98. Beat a squid who was running in the 12s. Squid had a pipe and dunno what else.

Took a whoopin' from a guy running 11.3s consistently. Had a loud pipe, a slick, number plates, struts on the rear. No clue what - if any - engine work was done and he wasn't saying. However, I think it was probably stock except for the above.

IMHO the power coming on higher in the rev range is a huge advantage at the track. Our lower range torque is a hella more fun on the street. OTOH, it can require more finesse at launch.

A wise Cajun once said, "If you spinnin', you ain't winnin'."

Rider skill is the biggest element of successful ass-whoopin' up to a fairly competent level, IMHO. With the power Jim's making, and his skill level, I'd put $$ on Jim over an average Vrod rider. BWTFDIK.

Edit - No offense meant Jim, I only bet on sure things!:D

#42 ·
IMHO the power coming on higher in the rev range is a huge advantage at the track. Our lower range torque is a hella more fun on the street. OTOH, it can require more finesse at launch.

A wise Cajun once said, "If you spinnin', you ain't winnin'."
Rider skill is the biggest element of successful ass-whoopin' up to a fairly competent level, IMHO.
Well said-
Both bikes can be 11 or 12 second bikes depending on rider, clutch, tire, gearing, etc.
All things stock, I take the VRod over the 120R Glide as I have played with a Screamin' Eagle Rod long enough to practice stop light launching way up in the revs, release that clutch, and let that baby fly to appreciate their power upstairs. Once they start motoring, they really start motoring and don't stop.

#16 ·
I'd like to have my feeling hurt. I own an 11 Dx vrod and it ain't stock. It doesn't have nos or turbo. It's stock bore, stock stroke. It's just a race if I lose then fine I'll shake your hand. No problem! I'm running all motor like I said. It don't put out 110 hp though. It actually puts out the same hp as your bike. Enough with the rant, now back to the topic. In stock form vs rk with 120r same class rider with equal skill close to same body size. I'm gonna say close race. The vrod is made to run 1/4. It hooks and books. Rk with 120r is a torque monster that hits its stride really fast. Considering that both riders can ride their respective bikes well, I think weight is gonna be the deciding factor but not by alot. Now if the 120r was in a dyna class bike things could very well be a different story.

#24 ·
If you actually have to think about that? You guys have never raced have you lol the v-rod enjoys about 3# less per hp than the land barge, sorry RK. With a 130hp 120r, plus the gearing and rpm advantage of the v-rod, maybe close for 60 feet then......
Me on a v-rod you on a 120R road king, I'll be waiting at the end for you. Not to mention, the v-rod will be running happily along long after the 120R is scrap metal

#26 ·
Agree with some here, a lot depends on who's riding what. No doubt the V-Rod will rev but a 120 has a lot of grunt in the right hands would be a formidable foe. If going quick was a 120 inch owners focus the RK would more than likely be built to do just that. You never know till lining up.
Comparing these two machines could be talked about forever the proof comes on the asphalt.

#29 · (Edited)
Rider is always the big X-factor. That's a given. These discussions have to assume equal riders, no break downs, no missed shifts and equal lights. Otherwise the variables are endless.
That leaves 3 big variables besides weight: pure usable power, the ability to transfer it cleanly and a chassis built to deliver it.
IMO, since they are launching at power, wide open or so, rpm's and which revs higher is a moot point, huge torque is great, but doesn't win many races past 60 feet.

I don't know about others experience, I do know, since adding the V-Rod, every Evo or TC owner I've come across, who has a cam, exhaust and K/N filter claims they are a V-Rod beater.
(Ohhhhh sh!t, I forgot the "hyper-charger"):hystria:
I've heard it many times, "It'll beat that V-Rod". I just laugh and say: "think so?". Truth is most have no clue as to the HP and how well it delivers it to the rear. Nor a clue as to what the TC actually delivers, even with that awesome $300 hyper-charger!

#30 ·
beech bend race track. Bowling Green Ky .9/26-9/28/14
bring em out and lets see how fast you are on the v rod .:whistle:

#31 · (Edited)
HDNA, excellent anology, of the mindless set of the majority of TC Riders, back in the early 80's, there was a 10.??? Second harley at the local track, one night a relatively quiet Z1 lined up with him, the Z1 won the race, the harley rider was pissed a street bike beat his racer.
In any class of racing, even AHDRA, the smaller engine gets a first light, giving even more advantage to the vrod. In a heads up grudge race, it's same light.
Sure wish I could come to bowling Green this weekend, I would like to watch same races between harley's

#32 ·
HDNA, excellent apology, of the mindless set of the majority of TC Riders, back in the early 80's, there was a 10.??? Second harley at the local track, one night a relatively quiet Z1 lined up with him, the Z1 won the race, the harley rider was pissed a street bike beat his racer.
In any class of racing, even AHDRA, the smaller engine gets a first light, giving even more advantage to the vrod. In a heads up grudge race, it's same light.
Sure wish I could come to bowling Green this weekend, I would like to watch same races between harley's
There is no AHDRA anymore .
Index racing, sportsman class's everyone is trying to hit the same Index ( ET) .400 pro tree.
Bracket race . Or Eliminator class as it's called in AMRA ( run a .500 staggered tree)
Heads up .... Well it's heads up. .400 pro tree .
V rods have a V mod class . Heads up .
V Rods run whatever they can fit into. A stock v rod is either going to have to run E class ( dial in ) or maybe if its a light rider , try to run the SE 11.50 index class . They ain't really that fast stock .
Then when you beef the crank support and use good rods , they still only will do 200 hp and stay together for a season .
That kinda the cut off point , unless you got big pockets for spare bullets . Then anything goes .

A 10.something Harley race bike against a 9 sec street bike in a heads up race isn't a very good analogy .

Now a 10.50 Harley race bike against a 9 sec rice street bike ,both running the 10.9 index . Now we got a rider race .

#35 · (Edited)
For the record: I don't like v-rods, but you can't deny the fact that they are quick. Comparably prepped, they are quicker than any harley, no matter how much grunt you have, grunt moves mountains, it doesn't win races, for so many obvious reasons. Now who is going to mention the current diesel trucks?
I'm not speaking of a specific engine or bike, stuff your pride back in. I'm sure your bike is quick. But apples to apples, prep a vrod, as yours is prepped, what is going to happen?
As I've said before, comparable power outputs, 50% more rpm's and 300# lighter, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure a winner here.
I used AHDRA, as a reference damn, sitting back waiting on a typo are you? Is that all you can add?????

#39 ·
No the typo was the the best thing you added to your post .
This is my buddies v rod . It makes 135 hp @ 1450 cc on my dyno . it's basically a destroyer motor . ( without destroyer heads and throttle body) . Has destroyer cams and more compression than. Destroyer . A stage 1 v rod makes a average 112 hp on my dyno .
My buddies bike run consistent 11.50's. that's why I say a light rider might run 11.50 on a stage 1 v rod , if they are a good rider .
Most run in the mid 12's
Cruzmisl
My bagger runs 11.2 @ 124 mph currently .

#40 ·
Jim, that's a great time! What kind of power you laying down? I know it's probably buried in another thread somewhere but easier to ask.

Terry, what's your issue anyway? No one is worried about their pride except for you.

Furthermore, the question was bolt on vs 120. Not, if you match modifications, which one is faster because then there's no discussion.

#43 ·
One Your bike ?
Nice looking passes . Nice job
Sounds like an air shifter on the first video .
Hard to see anything in those videos .

#46 ·
And the arguments live on with no end in sight. We are all cavemen at heart my club is bigger than yours mentality. Well I've got a big club and use it often not so much to brag about how fast/quick it is but to put it simply, please this ole boy.
So many on the forums will never understand that. It is all about keeping up with the Jones or feeding that black hole of an Ego. So what if you own a Glide, Rod, Busa or whatever floats your boat for a two wheeler enjoy it.
Never forget there will always be a faster machine out there no matter who's name is on the tank.

#47 ·
I bet you that I can beat your 427 boss hog with nitrous!

(just give me a "little" head start start...then forget to start it...then put on your helmet...and then count to 10).

rkc

#48 · (Edited)
LOL!! You just can't help yourself.

That clip is from 05 or 06 and about the second time I'd been to a track. That motor was a 98" @ around 105/105 and sure, 11.99 is no great time - but so what?

You talk thru your ass then criticize others over things they do but you won't/haven't or can't. Guys like you wouldn't be viewed as you are if you learned to keep your mouth shut when when you don't know what you're talking about.

EDIT: This was directed to HDNA - I forgot to quote his nonsense.

#51 · (Edited)
No great time? 11.99 isn't even thinking about being serious in this discussion.

Talking thru your ass is something you do well your damn self. First you post a clip from "youtube" claiming or shall I say bragging, that you beat a Destroyer, then turn right around and claim, it was a smaller motor, I was new to the track. Yes, it is nonsense. I suggest you take your own advice and keep your mouth shut with your 12 second run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.