V-Twin Forum banner

120R Road King Vs Vrod?

23K views 125 replies 30 participants last post by  dog155 
#1 ·
Anyone have any opinions on which one is faster? Some friends and I were just shooting the **** about it the other day so I thought I'd get the opinion of others.

Any ideas?

J.

#53 ·
Talking thru your ass is something you do well your damn self. First you post a clip from "youtube" claiming or shall I say bragging, that you beat a Destroyer, then turn right around and claim, it was a smaller motor, I was new to the track. Yes, it is nonsense. I suggest you take your own advice and keep your mouth shut with your 12 second run.

Originally Posted by FXDRYDR View Post
I beat that V-Rod -- http://youtu.be/cvg-ihcn8oE
No, he didn't. I'm pretty sure it was strokerjlk who posted about a bike with a lot of Destroyer parts. YOU should take YOUR OWN advice and keep your mouth shut and get the facts straight.

#62 · (Edited)
let me tell you all about my Stock old [1962] Iron head sporty that turned in the high 12's once at the Cordova Drag Strip, back in the late 60s, of course it was reworked by me BUT it was pure stock, no big bore, no stroke, no cams, not even the 4th P cam..how did I do it you say?? Glad you asked that question my good man, it was called Aluminum fenders, fender braces, motor mounts washers, everything that could be bought or made, and then there was the fiberglass gas tank, and I only weighed about 180 lbs. back then..low 13's all the time, then up popped the Kawi 3 cylinder 2 stroke 500cc motorcycle. as some wise person said, always somebody faster.:redrolf: but for what it is worth, it has been a great thread to follow along with.:clap:

#65 ·
You know Ironbutt it is almost comical they way you are to so many on this forum. It is obvious you don't know any better so why waste the finger strokes feeding your ego if that's what it is called.

Stay in your fantasy world of fast bikes Those of us that like talking and exchanging info in a civilized way will do the same. Too bad there has to be your types to deal with but we do. Your right about one thing these are discussion forums why don't you practice that instead of constantly stirring the pot.

#67 · (Edited)
#69 ·
Sorry V-Rod owners but read it and weep!

http://www.bikebandit.com/community/articles/motorcycle-history-honda-750-magna#.VCgEiPldVIF

Quarter mile in 11.29 @ 119.2?!?! I saw one for sale a couple of weeks ago, I'm gonna go see if it is still there and make an offer.

Hey HDNA, when did the V-Rod come out? How many years passed between 1983 and then? And the V65 will still :spank: a V-Rod!
My first bike was an 84 magna not a v65 it was a 700. That bike ran real well. No bottom enx all top end. 4500 on up to 9500.

#72 ·
No Kidding????

Funny, how you keep reaching for J@P bikes to compete here. This went from a "Harley" debate to every exotic J@p bike ever built. Including 4 cylinders? You must be googling your rub azz off. Some of us lived thru those times. Ain't much that's news about the Magna or the V-Max, but it obviously makes you happy.
Hell, HD products are literally the laughing stock of the industry and without the "myth", the cool factor, would have been defunct in the "AMF" days. You posting 30 year old designs shows just how pitiful and behind the 8 ball HD is.

I love the power band on V-Twins and won't own J@P sh!t, but I do appreciate them, I love speed/HP which has not been HD's thing previously, not even close, so, the V-Rod was thee perfect gift from Willie, a perfect fit, albeit a bit late. As far as who is/was first.......................:redrolf:

BTW, Look up the Nova Project next time you are trolling around. Note the time line as well. Note the platform, styling, placement of gas tank, ect.

#73 ·
Funny, how you keep reaching for J@P bikes to compete here. This went from a "Harley" debate to every exotic J@p bike ever built. Including 4 cylinders? You must be googling your rub azz off. Some of us lived thru those times. Ain't much that's news about the Magna or the V-Max, but it obviously makes you happy.
Hell, HD products are literally the laughing stock of the industry and without the "myth", the cool factor, would have been defunct in the "AMF" days. You posting 30 year old designs shows just how pitiful and behind the 8 ball HD is.

I love the power band on V-Twins and won't own J@P sh!t, but I do appreciate them, I love speed/HP which has not been HD's thing previously, not even close, so, the V-Rod was thee perfect gift from Willie, a perfect fit, albeit a bit late. As far as who is/was first.......................:redrolf:

BTW, Look up the Nova Project next time you are trolling around. Note the time line as well. Note the platform, styling, placement of gas tank, ect.
Man, look whose grumbling about *** sh*t now! Just like when the FXR came out, huh? I like BIKES, all types. ***, German, American, it doesn't really matter to me. The difference between you and me is that I haven't been co opted by Harley's Marketing department. I don't have any illusions about my FXR and what it can or can't do. You, however, seem to have those V-Rod blinders firmly in place!

The difference between you and me (I'm not gonna speak for everybody else here) is that you sneer at the rest of us, tell us how Harley's marketing department has brainwashed all of us SOA wanna be's, we're all a bunch of RUB's, blah, blah, blah, and brag about what a sweet bike the V-Rod is, and if only the "faithful" would stop shackling the engineers at Harley!

And in the mean time that 1983 V-65 will still smoke your beloved V-Rod. Every "exotic" *** bike ever built? LOL you might want to get out a little more there was nothing exotic about the V-65.

As far as being the laughingstock of the industry? I'll bow to your experience. You know way more about being a laughingstock than I do. :whistle:

#77 ·
My buddie threw another rod out the front of the case this weekend . ( he was actually racing )
So much for the billet crank support .
I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me .
Fragile POS

#106 ·
Holy crap, are you really that fockin' thick? Exotic is relative to "time", you are insisting 80's tech in not exotic NOW, well no sh!t. We have a 30 year gap their, but compared to an air cooled, push rod, 2 valve per, longazz stroked, 60 hp Evo? 30 years later.
For comparisons sake, the Evo has added a cam and 6th gear since. :redrolf:

#88 ·
Can I bring my 1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200, it runs 9.70s at 140 with 230 # 67 year old rider

#90 ·
Ha Ha nope! Too exotic with your 4 air cooled cylinders, 4 valve heads and what not. You are, however, welcome to drop that bike off at my house and leave it for a week or so. I even promise to front you the money for the rear tire that I would wear out in that week!

#91 ·
We even try to get our old 4 door pickups to go faster, when it is in your blood, it is in your blood. People want to race everything, lawn mowers, farm tractors, some people are just competitive.

#96 ·
Wow this thread took a shaaat fast. Anyway nothing but crickets from HDNA since the call out :-D

The whole purpose of the thread was to kind of get an idea how my bike would fare in a casual acceleration test on the street (well within the speed limits of course). We all know the VROD is the sportiest of HD's options and the RK is about the most 'old man' of the options.

Something about a white walled, spoke wheel touring bike pulling away or keeping up with a VROD. I love a sleeper!

Jim, great wheelie pic!

#110 ·
Note the all that non-exotic engineering some 40 years ago. Well before all your lovable V-4, j@p sh!t!
When it suits you that j@p sh!t is exotic, when it doesn't suit you it's just j@p sh!t, huh! Twenty years from now I'll still be riding my old tech FXR and I'll still be happy with the bike. I'm guessing you'll still have the same sh!tty attitude you have right now. Guess who's gonna be happier? :woohoo:

#123 · (Edited)
do you remember a guy named Potter that ran a Chevy in a Harley frame, they called him the Michigan Madman. he was at the old Suffolk, Va. Drag strip back in the early 60s when I ran there. crazy SOB, he would rev up the engine and kick the stand out from under it.

#126 ·
The Boss is a hoot, the 10.5 car sticky is no where near enough to keep it hooked but keeping it planted with a handful of throttle the near 600hp will put a smile on your face that can't be slapped off.

EJ was one of my hero's back in the 60's he inspired me back then so that I too had put a 283" Chevy in a Harley frame. Over the years he and I talked a lot about our adventures on and off the farm. I believe his book and video are still available I will sure miss talking to him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.