Is the Road King an old man's bike? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2003, 06:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
MilesOfSmiles

Is the Road King an old man's bike?

Or is it a transitional bike? Not for the young but not quite a geezer glide yet?

Is it a bike for the guy who is not ready to admit he's an old man?

What's your take?

BTW, I'm 50 and until recently, I rode RK's for the past 5 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2003, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

MountainMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hmm, if you are looking at it that way it seems to me that all Harleys are geezer bikes I mean look at the price tags...in order to afford one you need to have a decent economy. Younger folks with small kids need to prioritize family needs, while older folks are more at liberty to finally get that H-D they've always wanted.

I'd venture a guess that at least 80% of all H-D riders are over 40, and perhaps as many as 50% over 55.

Last edited by MountainMan; 09-03-2003 at 06:54 AM.
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
DR EVO

otterbob wants to know Dino or Syn?
im 28 and i think my next bike is a king classic. ive got a heritage now. sure id like to have a hot rod bike but only as a second bike. ive gotta have comfort, storage, and style. ive noticed lately on some rides ive been on how people seem to migrate towards the road king classic just to admire it. nobody i ride with owns a rkc , i definetly see one in my future
Old 09-03-2003, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Habanero Kid wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with FXRS. The average age of Harley buyers is 46 or 48!!!!!!!!!
I guess many have to wait that long to accumulate the 'disposable' income, so using that stat....I suppose all HD's are old guy bikes.

I like the RK myself, I'm also partial to the RoadGlide (Thanks, Mark !!). I'm almost 33, nowhere near old yet.....well ......if you don't ask my kids that is. I like to go go go on my bikes so comfort will be a priority on my next bike. If you want a true geezer bike, I think you need a goldwing.
Habanero Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

bruuuuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am 33 does that make me an old man?
Old 09-03-2003, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

sQuashed wants to know Dino or Syn?
40 here and thinking about a RK for my next bike. I must be closing in on Social Security
Old 09-03-2003, 07:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

DWhite wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think baggers in general are usually reserved for older guys. Personally I love the RK. For me there was no other choice. I am 33 years old. I bought my first RK when I was 29. I came off a Kawasaki Ninja zx7r. The differences were drastic but I sank into the RK and made it mine. Since I sold it earlier this year, I have not thought about getting any other single bike except another Road King. Now HD has thrown a wrench into the works and brought out the RK Custom. I have to make a decision now between the FLHR and the FLHRS. It is a tough one but I am sure the decision will be a win/win no matter what.
The beauty of the RK is you can load it up, put all your gear in the bags, throw the windshield on, put a tour pack on it and take out for a long trip. When you are home or in town, you can tear all that off and have a great looking bike when you go hopping.

Makes sense to me. Call me old

DWhite

Last edited by DWhite; 09-03-2003 at 07:40 AM.
DWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

RedBeard wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm an old fart (or so my wife tells me), and I'd rather have my Softail with a minimum amount of "stuff" hangin' off of it, and a maximum amount of chrome on it. To each his own, right?
RedBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

chops wants to know Dino or Syn?
A:
Yes, yes it is. You have to be ~50 (mentally or physically) to fully appreciate the baggers.

chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
geezer glides are cool

backinthesaddle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Started with a FXR at 33 but went to bagger's two years later riding FLH's and FLT's ever since.

Even now at 45 I kicked around getting a duece but decided on a used 2K 1550 Road Glide just last month. I love to carry my stuff with me.

As I got older the idea of having to carry stuff in a backpack or tankbag just didn't appeal to me. Harley baggers allow you to bring your jackets, rainsuits, bike covers, gloves, helmets , tools and other things without looking like you work for a NYC messenger service.

Maybe older just means more practical.

2 cents from a FNG to the forum
backinthesaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

SeaDog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Buy a chopper - it will bring much more happiness.
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

00Standard wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by chops
A:
Yes, yes it is. You have to be ~50 (mentally or physically) to fully appreciate the baggers.
I'm only 37 and appreciate my bagger! I always have my leather when it's cold, rain gear when it rains, a radio when I'm bored, and a seat I can put in 600 to 700 miles any day with no problem.

I'm pretty sure wurkenman would have something contrary to say about baggers being "an old man's bike".

AKA Scott
00Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

ksims1868 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Okay...I'm the youngest to chime in on this thread so far, and definitely the youngest person I know that rides a Road King. I am 26 years old and I absolutely LOVE my Road King. It rides smooth and looks even smoother. Sound through my Hooker pipes in unmistakably HD, and it can be ridden around town or on the freeway with ease. IMO - the RK is the Ultimate Harley Davidson. I don't want an Ultra Classic...I don't care for the fairing. I don't consider my RK an "old man's" bike...and I am hardly an old man...nor do I act like one.

On a side note...I DO also want to build a chopper. I had one just about completed in my garage, but had to sell it last week to raise some $$$ for the house. Hopefully I can get to building another chopper (likely a Sporty) in my garage once we move next month.

But I guess the bottom line is ANY bike HD makes can be ridden like a geezer or like a 25 yr old kid with a death wish.
ksims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

03glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your choice of bike is usually based on your type of riding. I bought my first street bike at 17. I put alot of long trips on that uncomfortable thing. My first Harley(sportster) at 23(lots of miles on that uncomfortable thing). I knew I like riding on long trips and several days at a time. I wanted a Road King at 23 but could not afford one until I was 27. Now I'm 30 and have an 03 EGlide Classic. I guess the point to all this rambling is the bike should fit your style not your age.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

gman116 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm 32 and didn't think I was riding a geezer bike (02 Road King FLHPI), but then I found my first grey hair on my head last weekend, now I'm not so sure. Is the bike ageing me or is it the fact I just got married two weeks ago?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement