Is the Road King an old man's bike? - Page 10 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #136 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC-Charlie View Post
10 year old thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Salty View Post
Oh well, we tried.
But Road Kings will never go out of style.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #137 (permalink)
No work, all play

oz.flhpi wants to know Dino or Syn?
The voices in my head argued about the Road King being an old man's bike.

Voice One said "This is what old people ride and they don't give a damn about what others think."

Voice Two said "Hey, old people don't have much time left and they don't give a damn about what others think. Ride the most exciting bike that you can afford."

I'm 66, but I don't consider myself old. Voice Two won me over. I sold my FLHPI and bought a BMW K1200R Sport.

Both Voices now yell Holy $#it! every time I roll the throttle, but I don't give a damn about what they think.

Oz
oz.flhpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #138 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mistert wants to know Dino or Syn?
Depends on your definition of "old."

I've been riding bikes since I was 13. Had just about all of the *** brands and even some american scoots. Started my Harley years with a shovel and have progressed upward (not that I didn't think my shovel head was the best ever), just leaned more towards bigger, faster, more efficient and more comfort. Going thru the Sporty's, a Super Glide, Springer and a Fat Boy I still wanted a ride that had the look of the "old Glide" the ones I used to see as a kid going down the dirt road in front of our house. Man, you could hear them coming a long ways off and I'd run to the side of the road just to hear and watch 'em go by. Wow, one day I was going to have one of those. Well when Harley first introduced the Road KIng, I said that was what I had been waiting for and in a couple of years I gathered up enough cash and traded in a Fat Boy for what I consider to be one of Harley-Davidson's major achievements, a Road King. I recently purchased a 2011 RK Classic and have been very pleased with the 103 and six-speed. I don't know how long I'll keep this one, hope it'll last me, hell, I'm only 63.
mistert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #139 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I should not say it

Last edited by smitty901; 12-10-2012 at 08:36 PM.
smitty901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #140 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
My first motorcycle was a bagger 1937 UL paid $35.00 for it rode it three years.I was 14 yrs old and certainly did not see a bagger as an old mans bike.Back then I like most all my friends saw a Harley Davidson motorcycle as a "Mans" bike.
Also met my first girlfriend that summer she took my virginity a summer to remember for sure!! Harleys and women seemed to go together.
Dog
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #141 (permalink)
IronButt

y-2-kid wants to know Dino or Syn?
is the road king a old guys bike?
i cant really say, i havent turned into a old guy yet, im olny 59 and i love my 01 "king"
but i can say i like the way it rides, the other bikes just seem to be too small. as long as your happy when your riding who cares what others think.
y-2-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #142 (permalink)
FNG :)

Hunter1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don`t think I` old but I guess my age says different. I`m 54 and have a RK but have seen all ages riding Kings. I guess maybe because you can put a w/s on them and hit the road or strip it down and go bar hopping they a very versatile bike.
Hunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #143 (permalink)
IronButt

Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I rented a new road king for a week last summer. Very nice bike, almost made me wish I'd gotten one instead of my roadglide. Very striking appearance also. Looks like a bike should. Well, that is unless you paint it some baby or robin's egg blue color and put a khaki seat on it. Only some hillbilly from the hills of NC or TN would do something like that
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #144 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The first Harleys to be around where we lived back in the 50's were baggers all solid colors,never saw a Sportster till the 60's,certainly nothing we wanted to ride.Not taking away from them it is how it was with the guys I knew.That look of a bagger burned itself in my brain the Road King fits the bill to a tee.The best thing is you can have the shield and bags off in a couple minutes like owning two different bikes
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #145 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
They are an excellent do everything bike. If Michigan didn't have such cold spring and fall riding seasons I'd probably put another 50k miles on one instead of trading for the Ultra which, with the extra protection, is the ultimate old mans bike. I found the Road King attracted a lot of compliments from the ladies so that might make it a young man's bike to some!
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #146 (permalink)
Cajun Peauxseur

BigD is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Like every other thread along this topic, I think it comes down to your riding style more than age. I added my Ultra to the stable at 38! That was also 115,000 miles ago. You cannot beat the touring frame for long-distance riding. It's also a great town bike. They're more nimble than you think. Go watch a police competition!

I see the RK as a Heritage on steroids!
2014 FLHTCUI "Black Betty" My black mistress!

"Baggers - they're not just for Paw-paws anymore"

My new year resolution: RIDE MORE!!!
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #147 (permalink)
IronButt

Topgeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by avangeline View Post
40 here and thinking about a RK for my next bike.

One thing to keep in mind is the RK is not a light weight. Once you learn the nature of the beast and get it and your riding skills to gel it's all gravy from there. If you are not used to a heavy bike go and give one a test ride.
Willie G mods in some places
American Custom Bomber slip ons
Topgeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #148 (permalink)
Banned

Blacklinebrett wants to know Dino or Syn?
They seem like old head bikes to me but not as severe as a trike

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Blacklinebrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #149 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Still got to make over 300 posts to even compete with the

"sportsers - girls bike thread"....

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/ha...ke-not-32.html

rkc
Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #150 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklinebrett View Post
They seem like old head bikes to me but not as severe as a trike

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
what is an old head bike?

IMO the bike that says "older mature rider" is the fully loaded Ultra Classic. The Road King picks up on the heritage of older FL's with the headlight nacelle. You want to think young and buck the trend, ride a bobbed rigid or softail, you want to be comfortable, carry some sh!t in the bags and ride cross country get a Road King (or any FL bagger) and screw what age appropriateness is.
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement