Fairing, windshield or bugs in the teeth? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy riding a bike with a fairing, a windshield or nothing at all?
I enjoy riding a bike with a fairing. 21 29.58%
I enjoy riding a bike with a windshield, no fairing. 14 19.72%
I enjoy riding a bike without a fairing or windshield. 10 14.08%
I enjoy riding them all. Makes no difference. 26 36.62%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

HogDreamer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fairing, windshield or bugs in the teeth?

When I first began riding bikes many moons ago windshields were not very common on most bikes. Riding with a windshield never entered my mind even in inclement weather.

Then later in life when windshields were readily available on bikes I got very used to having some protection from rain and bugs. Unless I was putting around town I really wanted to have a windshield.

When I finally got a bike with a fairing I found it to be even better than only a windshield. The fairing helps reduce the amount of air which flies up the sleeves of my jacket. Nice on colder riding days, not quite so nice on hot days.

I just wonder how many enjoy riding a bike with a fairing, a windshield or nothing at all. I personally know some who wouldn't ride a bike with a windshield and others who feel a windshield is fine but a fairing goes too far.
HogDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

JockWhisky wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like 'em all. Bugs are ok too. If there are enuf of 'em you don't have to stop for lunch. Another take on fast food.

Ride safe
JW
JockWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this? Homesick is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I've never owned a bike without, at least, a windshield.

But I'm all about the fairing. It's a windshield with gauges and pockets.

joe
Dispenser and Guardian of Same

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Hot Sparks wants to know Dino or Syn?
When i was younger i wouldn't be seen on a bike with a windshield., But now i wouldn't ride without one.
Hot Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I bought my Road King in '98, it was the first bike I had with a windshield. I always had it off around town. But after a using it a few times on the highway I got spoiled. Now the only time it comes off is to clean it.

I think Hot Sparks has got it right. When you're young you're just to cool for a windshield.
When you get older you don't care what people think...you just want comfort.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Weevil wants to know Dino or Syn?
Right now I ride without a windshield or fairing because I don't have the cash to invest in either. Doesn't bother me (most of the time). BUT, if I did have a the cash, you know there be one on the bike asap. Even have it picked out. The Dead Center Cycles Fairing for softails.

Fairing & Saddlebag Demonstration

Hey, you asked, right.

"Mouse Cam on Stilts"
My Garage

Last edited by Weevil; 02-12-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Barnacle Bill wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have nerve damage on the left side of my face and neck. Without a fairing, riding gets very painful from cramps. I can't drive my car or truck with the window down. So, yep I'm pretty much stuck with a fairing.

For every civilization there comes a moment when a stand must be made against tyranny
Barnacle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poser

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
If I will be cruising on major highways or if its going to rain then windshield on.

Otherwise, windshield off. If I had a bike with fixed fairing\windshield I would need another that does not have one.

That is one of the advantages of the RK's, easy on and off windshield.

I never considered bugs when deciding.

rkc
Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I've been riding close to 50 years now. I have always used a windshield on all my bikes. I have no objections to fairings either.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

BigPeet wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King Cole View Post
If I will be cruising on major highways or if its going to rain then windshield on.

Otherwise, windshield off. If I had a bike with fixed fairing\windshield I would need another that does not have one.

That is one of the advantages of the RK's, easy on and off windshield.

I never considered bugs when deciding.

rkc
That would be me also. Problem is, I'm not always at the house (where my windshield is), and in summertime Florida you never know when it's going to rain.

When they design a detachable, foldable windshield, that fits in your saddlebags, I'll be first in line.

I'd much rather ride around town with no windshield, but on the highway, at 300lbs and 85mph, areodynamic I'm not.

~Pete
BigPeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired TMCM(SS)

DoctorDee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nothing for me except riding glasses and maybe a face bandana type thing if it's buggy. Adding fairings, windshields, and whatever is too less a bike and too much an RV, IMHO.
DoctorDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
There was a time that I wouldn't have been caught dead on a scooter with a fairing. But 40 years down the road, I find that I would rather be behind one out on the slab. I still have a scooter that's open to the breeze, and it's real nice on a hot afternoon. But after a couple of hours I'd rather have the fairing.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Malx wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a quick disconnect windshield and a quick disconnect fairing. I prefer during the summer months to ride with neither. If I'm taking a trip then I will chose one. Once it gets cold in the Northeast then on goes the fairing as I think that gives me a bit more coverage. Bottom line is as long as I'm rolling on two wheels I'm happy windshield, fairing or none of the above
Malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

cata5803 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like all the above. I have two scoots, one with Fairing and the other a removeable shield. I rarely use the shield...
Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
46u
IronButt

46u wants to know where he is and how he got here
I ride my bike in all types of weather and would not be with out my stock or taller windsheild on my 02 ultra. All so with the stock windshield I can hear my radio better and much less wind. I am my concern is being comfort and do not worry the way I look as I ride for me and no one else.

There has been several time I am 3K or 4K from home and hit a hale storm and not a place to get out of it for miles like on my Alaska trip. Sure was glade I had my lower fairings and wish I had a taller windshield other then stock. All I could do to keep from getting the **** beat out of me was speed up and get behind the windshield. This could all so happen just a few miles for home and what does a short or not windshield to? But that is my 2 cents worth.

46u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement