OK guys saw this bike ... what do you think? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

TenMidgets wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick03 H-D View Post
Also need to check title/vin number, my son-in-law sold one that looked identical to that one a few months back that was a rebuilt wreck with an aftermarket frame..not saying this is it but check to be sure because it was sold to an indy dealer in that neck of the woods.
Thanks I think I am going to pass on that one. It is always good to leave the dealership,sleep on it, and give things more thought and research.

Now that I think about it an look at some pics The Shield was very very cloudy and "weathered" for a low mileage bike. They said they could polish it out. Something does not "smell right" . My shield is clear as new and I have 12K on mine and it lives out doors during the day at work most of the year in rain and shine. .

KBB does not use mileage ratings either because they claim that can be tampered with easily. Sometimes you get an instinct about a bike and have to share and get some thoughts. I am not impulsive. I have been looking at HDs here and there for about 10 months fully enjoying my current ride. Every once in a while one catches my eye and stops me enough to look deeper.

Thank you all for your input.

Last edited by TenMidgets; 01-16-2013 at 11:50 AM.
TenMidgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

Gaff wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I buy my bikes I buy what I want.
88, 96, carbed, FI, 5 speed, six speed, I'm not all that impressed with any of those variables.
If the bike is the bike for you (or of your dreams) buy it.
Just move on. If you listen to every one not only would you not have the bike, but most likely any thing you have in life.
I think it's an awsome low milage very well taken care of bike that I would jump all over.
And for the spoke wheels, deffinately, but I'm a spoke wheel guy...
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
When I buy my bikes I buy what I want.
88, 96, carbed, FI, 5 speed, six speed, I'm not all that impressed with any of those variables.
If the bike is the bike for you (or of your dreams) buy it.
Just move on. If you listen to every one not only would you not have the bike, but most likely any thing you have in life.
I think it's an awsome low milage very well taken care of bike that I would jump all over.
And for the spoke wheels, deffinately, but I'm a spoke wheel guy...
YOu are right in many ways.. However Everything we have is paid for and with cash which means a whole lot more thought is placed into every purchase because $325 a month for 4 years is an easy decision. $12,000 withdrawn and placed in an envelope on a table changes the game.

It is because I listen to people I discover things I did not think of. I am never in a hurry as long as I am comfortable with what i have. Buyer's remorse whether from making payments after a couple years or impulse buy is something I don't experience. Especially on something that is a luxury.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

Hot Sparks wants to know Dino or Syn?
You should go look at the 08,
Hot Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenMidgets View Post
YOu are right in many ways.. However Everything we have is paid for and with cash which means a whole lot more thought is placed into every purchase because $325 a month for 4 years is an easy decision. $12,000 withdrawn and placed in an envelope on a table changes the game.

It is because I listen to people I discover things I did not think of. I am never in a hurry as long as I am comfortable with what i have. Buyer's remorse whether from making payments after a couple years or impulse buy is something I don't experience. Especially on something that is a luxury.
I agree, paying cash is the way to go. Part of that is that it makes the purchase REAL. Listen to what others have to say but in the end you should go with your gut.

The right one will let you know and there won't be any questions about it.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

fatclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
I own a 05 and I love it, but I've done some upgrades, no way I'd pay over 10K for an 06, to many out there for sale. I would look at the 08, they had the 96" motor, 6 speed (althou I don't care about that) wider rear wheel, hydralic cam tensioners, better heads and bigger oil pump.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

tmsimmon wants to know Dino or Syn?
Silly question, have you tried to offer blue book value?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
tmsimmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsimmon View Post
Silly question, have you tried to offer blue book value?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Not a silly question. I didn't...I don't feel comfortable making an offer on a bike I am not all in on emotionally.

If they take it I am screwed. So I offer $10,500 and they take it but I find a bike like the one in Charleston for $1500 more. newer, nicer color, better condition. Better value from private seller who would appreciate cash. I want a good bike first then a good deal. there are a lot of good bikes with bad deals and bad bikes with good deals. It's the good bike along with a good deal many here found and enjoy. Unless money is not an object to the sale. In that case there is no buyer's remorse. It's all relative.

I am not so sure about the initial bike and a few here got me thinking which is exactly why i come to this site and hope after I finally find one if I ever do, there will be some catching up to do on the mechanics.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

Gaff wants to know Dino or Syn?
My problem is I do get emotionally attached to certain bikes, wich has got me in the past.
Cash is the only way to buy a bike...
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

Well it's six months later. Still shopping. Dealer still has that bike on consignment and a Red Road King classic I like. They were asking 11999 for each. My bike whoesales KBB is 4500 plus 30% of accessories. So around $5500.

He wants $6000 for the 06 (or the RKC below) with my bike in trade (07 V star 1300 with $4K functional (rather than show accessories) Claims FB has Stage one kit , python pipes, SERT. I cannot verify the SERT But Stage I is all I would buy. Don't need to be scissoring the crank.

SAME deal for the 04 RKC Both have EFI The Road King has 3600 miles and looks brand new. Not a mark anywhere. completely stock. Has Stock plus shown Pillow seat and back rest. Belongs to 70 year old. on consignment. Looks great in Black but the Red is all that is available.
I like the RK better but the book is a lot lower and the Fat Boy likely will have better resale customers if I tire of it.

Have not ridden either because I was not ready to buy.

Here is a pic of the RKC Friggin FIRE engine red.

I guess it's a testament to the Yamaha with all the bikes I have test driven I still have it. Also ironic that i have come full circle to the first bike I looked at when I started this quest. Learned A LOT about the HD motor and drive train in the interim.

Last edited by TenMidgets; 06-26-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

TacoBellMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
They do have kits for wire wheels to make them tubless. I like spoke rims myself. The stock fatboy rims are fugly IMO.

Decent price for the bike tho. I think for $12k you could get a much better bike tho.

EDIT: (Didnt see page 2)

I would get the RK. Fire engine red is WAY cooler than white.

Last edited by TacoBellMan; 06-25-2013 at 09:00 PM.
TacoBellMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I'd pay $300 to get rid of the spoke rims. But I would try telling him to do it for free. They will just sell them. I don't spokes because they need to be maintained, and cannot be patched on the road.

As for as buying in cash, I don't think a business in good shape should care. It all goes in the bank. Last bike I financied, I left the dealer a few minutes after closing, and it was ready the next morning, with the extras I wanted. They make money interest. That is one of the reasons people loan money.

I see I didn't pay attention to the dates.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
I'd pay $300 to get rid of the spoke rims. But I would try telling him to do it for free. They will just sell them. I don't spokes because they need to be maintained, and cannot be patched on the road.

As for as buying in cash, I don't think a business in good shape should care. It all goes in the bank. Last bike I financied, I left the dealer a few minutes after closing, and it was ready the next morning, with the extras I wanted. They make money interest. That is one of the reasons people loan money.

I see I didn't pay attention to the dates.
LOL....Yeah I Know. I take a L o n g time to make a decision. I just got off the Victory train yesterday and looking back at harley.

This is an Independent dealer/Shop selling consignment bikes...The mechanic is a 30 year Harley mechanic. The owner is a 30 year former Metric dealership owner and mechanic. I would take any bike there for mechanical work. The metric mechanic has been schooled on harley motors and is amazed at how easy they are to work on compared to metrics...(but also understands the frequency of maintenance is a factor)

I already have a "Victory"....um sort of. So why pay $6000 more for another 25 HP? It's not a Harley. There is no Factory trained Vic mechanics even at the local Victory dealer! Not that there are Yamaha mechanics at the local YamaHonzuki Dealer. Yeah lesss maintenance, More reliable. Never had a failure of any kind. But the only two bikes I would consider are either a Harley or FJR. Shyte or get off the cruiser pot.

I know more about the HD motor than I did six months ago. Cam tensions, Compensators, Stators (why did they bury those?) Cam plates, Cam bearings (and the expensive removal tool) Scissoring cranks..63 gaskets and O Rings..What did I miss...?

Compared to metrics, easy to understand Parts ARE cheaper. Labor rates are the same. So given an actual cash value of my bike at $5000 I would be paying $11K for either bike. Still doesn't seem like a great deal for an 04 Road King especially. even with 3600 miles.....am I on the right page here?

Last edited by TenMidgets; 06-25-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBellMan View Post
They do have kits for wire wheels to make them tubless. I like spoke rims myself. The stock fatboy rims are fugly IMO.

Decent price for the bike tho. I think for $12k you could get a much better bike tho.

EDIT: (Didnt see page 2)

I would get the RK. Fire engine red is WAY cooler than white.
Yeah not fond of the white or spokes (since I recently removed a nail from my Yamaha, patched it and moved on) . From a financial standpoint the 06 Fat Boy makes more sense for the same money as an 04 Road king. Custom. But the Road king has been babied. I have a feeling the FB was ridden hard with a SERT and Stage I.

NADA has them both Valued the same.

KBB has the 06 FB at $1500 more retail and $1000 more wholesale.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Don't see alot of guys with velcro tennis shoes.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement