Nitrogen : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Nitrogen

I bought a Triumph America this weekend and now I am on Ray Price's daily mailing list instead of just a special events list. I don't know how long he has been doing this:

SERVICE IS FULL OF HOT AIR!

Don't forget to take advantage of our January Nitrogen special! For $5 per wheel, we will purge and inflate your tires in about 15 minutes.
Because nitrogen causes greater tire stability you'll start to see less rolling resistance, heat build-up and wear! Click the image for more information!

http://www.rayprice-hd.com/default.asp?page=service

Anyone ever try this?

Seek the truth. Only then will justice and mercy be yours. Do not make religion your trade nor piety a profession.
Fred1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

LOHAWG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Snake oil salesman and carpetbaggers.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

KEYBEAR wants to know where he is and how he got here
In 2005 I bought a new Ford Mustang GT-500 (A Shelby) and was told the tires had Nitrogen in them tires . (and only use Nitrogen) After 3 or 4 months during servicing the car I found air in the tires ? I made some calls to well known performance shop owners asking about Nitrogen . Yes Snake oil to the normal person . If you drive over 150 MPH for 500 miles most weekends you can benefit from Nitrogen .
KEYBEAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Apparently this is becoming popular.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/wh...led-tires.html

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

werdna65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEAR View Post
In 2005 I bought a new Ford Mustang GT-500 (A Shelby) and was told the tires had Nitrogen in them tires . (and only use Nitrogen) After 3 or 4 months during servicing the car I found air in the tires ? I made some calls to well known performance shop owners asking about Nitrogen . Yes Snake oil to the normal person . If you drive over 150 MPH for 500 miles most weekends you can benefit from Nitrogen .
First of all I worked in a goodyear tire shop and I would have to wounder what "I found air in the tires " means. You can't tell by just looking that there is Nitrogen in the tire. There is No color, smell or sign that says I'm Nitrogen. If the dealer told you it was in them, you would have to go on good faith that it's in them. Some believe it's snake oil and you will never change their minds, IT does work, but not the way you may like to think, The benifet are, Less heat, no decrease of air pressure( if they're purged right, Less rolling factor, all this adds up to longer tire life. Again if someones believes it don't work, you will never get him to understand why it works. Nitrogen is Oxygen free AIR made by voltage and will not increase the tire pressure when they get hot, with that being said does the tire manufactor figure that into the tire when they build them, I could never get a straight answer from Goodyear. But my tire seam to last and wear good and I will keep on using it.
werdna65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
A fool and his money are soon parted.
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRider View Post
A fool and his money are soon parted.
He-he....
They've evidently never heard that one in Illinois.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Dools103 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with Werdna65, I have it in my wife's car and over the course of two sets of tires, the pressure has stayed stable which to me means better wear with proper rotation and alignment, so if you take care of your equipment it should extend your tire life, not saying better gas mileage just one less thing, that we all forget, to check, tire pressure
Dools103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Bear64 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1369 View Post
I bought a Triumph America this weekend and now I am on Ray Price's daily mailing list instead of just a special events list. I don't know how long he has been doing this:

SERVICE IS FULL OF HOT AIR!

Don't forget to take advantage of our January Nitrogen special! For $5 per wheel, we will purge and inflate your tires in about 15 minutes.
Because nitrogen causes greater tire stability you'll start to see less rolling resistance, heat build-up and wear! Click the image for more information!

http://www.rayprice-hd.com/default.asp?page=service

Anyone ever try this?
did you buy a new Triumph America or a used one? how do you like it? I looked at them several times, would like to add either a America or a speed master to my garage if I could afford it, as for the Nitrogen in your tires, I don't think I would worry about it for a motorcycle...

USN 7/23/57-1/8/65

Man is a two-legged animal without feathers.
Bear
Bear64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

lumpy38 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I use helium in my Electra Glide tires, it handles like a Sporty now.

BTW .... nitrogen is nitrogen and "oxygen free air" isn't air .... duh.
.030 Cometic + .010 in the hole = .040 squish
SE Fatshots - 15 discs closed ends
83/83 tuned at BigBoyz
lumpy38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Just an FYI but air is 78% Nitrogen, My tires are filled with 78% Nitrogen.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

aubeagle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer- View Post
Thats too funny but true. I do HVAC work so i have plenty of nitrogen on hand. It's nice that the pressure stays the same no matter what the temp is. So yes i put it in my Dyna and my car, Oh can't forget the 1989 3500 chevy.

S.
Ported MVA's
Crane 296-2
Woods lifters
SE Roller Rockers
HPI 55 tb
Marren 5.3
Injectors
VH Propipe
T/max
aubeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

werdna65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer- View Post
Very true, but it's the other 22% that make the tire presusre increase or decrease with the heat of the tire. Nitrogen has been around for 100 years in some use or another. Like I said some people will never believe that Nitrogen does work, and we can
werdna65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by werdna65 View Post
Very true, but it's the other 22% that make the tire presusre increase or decrease with the heat of the tire. Nitrogen has been around for 100 years in some use or another. Like I said some people will never believe that Nitrogen does work, and we can
I'm not saying it doesn't work however I do believe it is has been around in some use or another for about 13 Billion years. Just saying.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Inspector 12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
In our circle track racing days we used nitrogen in our race tires and to run the air guns used in pit stops. Our tire pressures were very consistent and it was funny how our opponents tire bleeders were hissing like a pressure cooker while ours were silent.

I run it in my bikes and cars since Costco does it for FREE here in town, I figure what can it hurt.

06 Street Bob, SE 120R, VH Propipe HO, SERT, 139.92 hp, 133.70 tq.
Inspector 12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.