Recommend a cell phone handlebar holder - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahar View Post
are you familiar with the concept of distracted driving, IMO there is NO reason to have a phone (smart or otherwise) anywhere near your attention zone.
I tend to agree, my advice is put it in your pocket, got enough assholes in cages trying to kill you because they are to busy texting to have enough concern for any rider's life.
In case you have not noticed, you hit a nerve
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

patched wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sorry, I don't even own a cell phone, certainly don't need one on a scooter
patched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitram_b4 View Post
I tend to agree, my advice is put it in your pocket, got enough assholes in cages trying to kill you because they are to busy texting to have enough concern for any rider's life.
In case you have not noticed, you hit a nerve
Who me???

how could that possibly happen?
That's why people with no sense of humor have an increased sense of self-importance

I'm only responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.

I used to think I was overreacting, then I realized it was just a normal reaction to an abnormal amount of bullsh!t.
Ahar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

monkeyboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ahar, you never cease to amuse me. Welcome back!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

sportcruiser wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahar View Post
I've been calling those driders, they drive their bikes like they're still in a car.

I always counted it a plus when I got lost.
Best part about riding with a GPS is geting lost, then using it to figure out where you are so you can get home. I find a GPS far less distracting than trying to glance at a map, or use a sextant as I am sure some of you do.
sportcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcruiser View Post
Best part about riding with a GPS is geting lost, then using it to figure out where you are so you can get home. I find a GPS far less distracting than trying to glance at a map, or use a sextant as I am sure some of you do.
My variation on this is to follow whatever roads look good without wondering where I am or where I am going and when I am ready to go home, I just press the "go home" icon on the gps and viola, it directs me home. I've never been "lost" but there have been many times when I only have a vague idea as to where I was. A variation on this is when I am on a long trip and I know what general direction I need to go that day (north, south, etc) and just follow roads in that direction that pique my interest until such time as I want to head directly toward wherever I am staying that night.

I find I can take my eyes off the road (in either the car or on the bike) for about a quarter of a second without endangering me. I would only travel a very short distance and I've already scoped out those next few feet of road to make sure nothing can come into my path for that quarter to half second. That amount of time is more than enough to get whatever info I need from the gps. One of the features I like about the gps is lane assist. It helps me to not take my eyes off the road for a longer period of time to read the road signs on the freeways to determine what lanes I should be in. Occasionally the lane assist will put me in a wrong lane but then one of two things happen. Either I figure it out and change lanes, or the gps recalculates and puts me back toward my destination.

And if a kid of mine had just learned to ride or drive, I would make sure he or she always went out with a cell phone and gps (or using the gps in the cell phone is good enough). They are both safety devices as far as I am concerned.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
My variation on this is to follow whatever roads look good without wondering where I am or where I am going and when I am ready to go home, I just press the "go home" icon on the gps and viola, it directs me home. I've never been "lost" but there have been many times when I only have a vague idea as to where I was. A variation on this is when I am on a long trip and I know what general direction I need to go that day (north, south, etc) and just follow roads in that direction that pique my interest until such time as I want to head directly toward wherever I am staying that night.

I find I can take my eyes off the road (in either the car or on the bike) for about a quarter of a second without endangering me. I would only travel a very short distance and I've already scoped out those next few feet of road to make sure nothing can come into my path for that quarter to half second. That amount of time is more than enough to get whatever info I need from the gps. One of the features I like about the gps is lane assist. It helps me to not take my eyes off the road for a longer period of time to read the road signs on the freeways to determine what lanes I should be in. Occasionally the lane assist will put me in a wrong lane but then one of two things happen. Either I figure it out and change lanes, or the gps recalculates and puts me back toward my destination.

And if a kid of mine had just learned to ride or drive, I would make sure he or she always went out with a cell phone and gps (or using the gps in the cell phone is good enough). They are both safety devices as far as I am concerned.
like I said, some opinions may vary, and that is definetly a variation, but don't expect me to believe that quarter second of distraction from the road.
That's why people with no sense of humor have an increased sense of self-importance

I used to think I was overreacting, then I realized it was just a normal reaction to an abnormal amount of bullsh!t.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #23 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Let me be sure I am reading this correctly.

I see post after post on here about "dumbass cagers" on their phones" trying to kill us, but now "we" have our own phones on the handlebars. "We" are using the same excuses that the "dumbass cagers" use to justify why we are giving our attention to an electronic device instead of the road...and "we" think this is a good idea.

Well I am an idiot, I've been finding places incorrectly, by figuring out where I am headed more than a half a second before I get there.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

glasspilot wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm considering one of these to mount my Droid 3 phone, not to use it for calls, but to use it as a MP3 player. Plug the cord between the phone and my AUX port and listen to my favorite talk show podcasts! (Clark Howard, Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers!)
glasspilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasspilot View Post
I'm considering one of these to mount my Droid 3 phone, not to use it for calls, but to use it as a MP3 player. Plug the cord between the phone and my AUX port and listen to my favorite talk show podcasts! (Clark Howard, Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers!)
Click and Clack are on XM satelite radio now, they run old shows in the afternoon, I'm finely getting caught up.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
put a cigarette lighter gizmo on the handlebar so I could plug my 4G Android into it and listen to Pandora. I thought I was getting too much noise from the Fatcat so I bought a Supertrapp Supermeg. Now there is too much wind noise on the highway. I experimented with several different ear phones but nothing blocked out wind noise. But the Garmin GPS works just fine.

Seek the truth. Only then will justice and mercy be yours. Do not make religion your trade nor piety a profession.
Fred1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

semw wants to know Dino or Syn?
I didn't mean to start a debate about calling on cell phones or texting while riding. I already use my cell to play music while riding and would like to use WAZE on my cell for GPS. There are so many mounts out there, and the price ranges from $30 to about $120. J & P alone has a bunch to choose from. I was just looking for some recommendations.
Thanks to all who responded.
semw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

fatclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
I often wonder how we did anything or got anywhere without cell phones or gps. My phone stays in my pocket, pipes are too loud to hear it ring anyways. I dont own a gps and some how I've traveled half the US on my bike and in a truck. When I'm on my bike I can't say I even miss the radio.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by semw View Post
I didn't mean to start a debate about calling on cell phones or texting while riding. I already use my cell to play music while riding and would like to use WAZE on my cell for GPS. There are so many mounts out there, and the price ranges from $30 to about $120. J & P alone has a bunch to choose from. I was just looking for some recommendations.
Thanks to all who responded.
You didn't start the debate, I'm the asshole that did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclassic View Post
I often wonder how we did anything or got anywhere without cell phones or gps. My phone stays in my pocket, pipes are too loud to hear it ring anyways. I dont own a gps and some how I've traveled half the US on my bike and in a truck. When I'm on my bike I can't say I even miss the radio.
Exactly what I want to know, how did I navigate over 500,000 miles on just the bikes without a magic brain telling me where I needed to go. Have enough people telling me where to go. I understand I was lost for alot of those miles, but I always found my way to somewhere.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
I have never had a hands free device for my mobile phone for either the car of the bike because I don't want to talk while driving or riding. I found long ago that talking on the mobile phone was much more distracting than talking to someone in the car. I don't want to even know if someone is calling. I'll find out when I'm not moving. That's ok with me.

That said, I repeat what I said before. I believe the gps is different. It helps to keep my eyes more on the road in front of me and not looking for street or traffic signs.
Seems to me if you are looking for a sign you are more likely to see another vehicle pulling out in front of you than if you are looking at a GPS. While it had nothing to do with a GPS or cell phone I was recently involved in an accident in my car with a bus. I was not seriously injured nor was I charged, the bus pulled out in front of me, but I can assure you that these things happen in a nano second. I had no idea what happened and really have no memory of what happened prior to coming to my senses. Fortunately the bus had cameras inside and out that recorded everything and cleared me of any blame. A quick glance at a GPS or cell phone is all it takes to end up in an accident. If you use a GPS, and I sometimes do, use your radio if you have one or ear buds or some other device so you can hear the voice prompts rather than looking at the screen.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.