Beginner's advice - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

luvmy09 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've had many Honda's and Harley's including a Honda 550-4 and a sportster. The easiest bike of all to control was a 1984 FXR. Eventho it has the same motor and trans. as the touring bikes it was very easy to handle. I believe someone your size would do fine with an older FXR or FXD.
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

cvaria wants to know Dino or Syn?
The basic idea here is to get use to riding not look cool.

Have you taken a msf basic rider course? If not, I recommend it.

I took it, I hear the stuff that i learn in the course my head before I do stupid stuff. Probably saved my life at least 3 times. It usually turning and insane iphone wielding drivers not paying attention that you need to worry about.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by cvaria; 01-10-2013 at 08:05 AM.
cvaria is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

FLHTDan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie-eh View Post
hello, im new to motorcycles but have always been captivated by them and plan on getting one after i receive my full licence.

i was just wondering what a good begginers bike would be, not too expensive seeing as though im quite young, but a quality bike and one that would fit a 6 foot 6 rider like myself without too much customization if any.

cheers
I would agree with all the others on a cheap metric. If you're 6 1/2 ft. you are going to need some leg room. If you can find a bike that has forward controls on it that would be a plus.
FLHTDan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

sportcruiser wants to know Dino or Syn?
Consider a Triumph Bonnevile. Not real tall, but a great starter bike. At 6'6" you could also consider a dual purpose bike. They are inexpensive, will accommodate your height, and will survive being dropped.
sportcruiser is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

sire86 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaria View Post
I'm astounded by the stuff people are saying.... xl 1200s and such. Do that if you want to die or get hurt.

Get an old honda shadow 500 or something from low powered the 80's. It'll be cheap. It will teach you how to work on a bike. You can drop it and not feel (really) bad. You'll also be limited on speed... you can learn to turn and ride in traffic safely. Most motorcycle accidents are single vehicle incidents involving speed and or turning. Search YouTube for "crash mullholland". Its better, IMHO, to start out with a low power bike than end up under a parked car or laying on the side of the road.

I started out with a $900 old shadow. I had to restore it and learn to ride it at the same time. Twas a crash course in bikes. I moved up to an 883 after three months. I'm moving to an older fxr when I find one in good shape

Hey nothing against metric my first bike was a Kawasaki but it seems a little extreme to say a new rider can end up under a car or worse!!! Because of the bike.If you speed on a metric nothing can happen ??? WTF. google" crash mullholm" geez what u putting in his head? A Dyna is a great handling bike a lot of seasoned riders I know started with sportsters you your self traded up in only 3 mos. the guy is 6' 6..... Newbie, test ride a lot of bikes see what feels right,take MSF course read books,Ride like a pro is a good start and what ever you choose to buy ride very carefully take it slow you'll be ok
sire86 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

FXRS84 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Get a bike that will do a good job for you, you have to be comfortable on it, so that you can pay attention to learning to ride. Nothing wrong with metric, don't worry bout the image, just bout learning bikes, what you want in a bike, an how to ride.
FXRS84 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sire86 View Post
Hey nothing against metric my first bike was a Kawasaki but it seems a little extreme to say a new rider can end up under a car or worse!!! Because of the bike.If you speed on a metric nothing can happen ??? WTF. google" crash mullholm" geez what u putting in his head? A Dyna is a great handling bike a lot of seasoned riders I know started with sportsters you your self traded up in only 3 mos. the guy is 6' 6..... Newbie, test ride a lot of bikes see what feels right,take MSF course read books,Ride like a pro is a good start and what ever you choose to buy ride very carefully take it slow you'll be ok
I said that because people are saying stuff like buy a 1200 or dyna. The poor guy will end up dead listening to that kind of nonsense.

I dont care about the whole metric / american yada yada... metrics are cheap, reliable, and great starter bikes.

I watched every single crash video I could find... over and over again. To bring home the reality of riding.

I'm not sure how you turned it into a bike related issue but it's not. Way to show off those critical reading skills.

I upgrade once I felt confident. I still have my shadow and I still ride it on long runs because it gets better gas milage than my 883. 50% more. Its much smoother and easier to ride. The 883 is more fun around town but, not for long hauls.

Im looking for a 1991 or older FXR OR a 87/88 super magna (that still has 2nd gear) to try to get the best of worlds.

His height is not an issue its better that he live and get the basics down than lose control of a larger bike and not live. If I scared him.... good. He should be scared. You gotta respect the bikes.

This guy was lucky...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYxU...e_gdata_player

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1357790912893.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	75727  

Last edited by cvaria; 01-09-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Absolutely buy rice and don't spend too much, but just make sure it's mechanically sound and it fits you physically. Some guys like the idea of riding bikes but when they get out on the road they're just not comfortable with it. Take a riding course and hone your chops for a year. There's no shame in riding rice and they're cheap, relatively. My 1st street bike was an 82 Yamaha 650 Maxim and it was a fun bike at the time. If your set on an HD, just give yourself a year or so on a cheap, used metric, if for no other reason it wont piss you off as much if you happen to add some dents n dings, cheaper to fix if need be, hopefully that need wont arise but they're cheaper to buy as well. I don't know if HD still does this but back in 88 they even gave me a good trade in rate on my Yamaha when I bought my HD

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaria View Post
I said that because people are saying stuff like buy a 1200 or dyna. The poor guy will end up dead listening to that kind of nonsense.

I dont care about the whole metric / american yada yada... metrics are cheap, reliable, and great starter bikes.

I watched every single crash video I could find... over and over again. To bring home the reality of riding.

I'm not sure how you turned it into a bike related issue but it's not. Way to show off those critical reading skills.

I upgrade once I felt confident. I still have my shadow and I still ride it on long runs because it gets better gas milage than my 883. 50% more. Its much smoother and easier to ride. The 883 is more fun around town but, not for long hauls.

Im looking for a 1991 or older FXR OR a 87/88 super magna (that still has 2nd gear) to try to get the best of worlds.

His height is not an issue its better that he live and get the basics down than lose control of a larger bike and not live. If I scared him.... good. He should be scared. You gotta respect the bikes.

This guy was lucky...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYxU...e_gdata_player

Yea you gotta respect all bikes, I don't care what anyone rides. You seem to be bent on implying the guy could get killed on a 1200 or Dyna ,your words... and safer on a lighter bike??The point I'm trying to make is not about what type of bike ( read my last sentence check your reading skills) but more about training,rider skill,instinct what ever you want to call it, a new rider or any rider for that mattercan get hurt or killed on any type of bike with out basic skills.Metrics may be a little lighter,less power but go to hot into a turn, any type of target fixation,incorrect braking any type of situation we all encounter and the result to the body is the same,unfortunately .
Old 01-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
FNG :)

newbie-eh wants to know Dino or Syn?
thanks for all the advice you guys, all the info was extremely helpful. Feels a lot like a community or brotherhood (not excluding female riders) with HDs and motorcycles in general and im excited to get involved in the HD community
newbie-eh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie-eh View Post
thanks for all the advice you guys, all the info was extremely helpful. Feels a lot like a community or brotherhood (not excluding female riders) with HDs and motorcycles in general and im excited to get involved in the HD community
Good luck enjoy the forum
Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sire86 View Post
Yea you gotta respect all bikes, I don't care what anyone rides. You seem to be bent on implying the guy could get killed on a 1200 or Dyna ,your words... and safer on a lighter bike??The point I'm trying to make is not about what type of bike ( read my last sentence check your reading skills) but more about training,rider skill,instinct what ever you want to call it, a new rider or any rider for that mattercan get hurt or killed on any type of bike with out basic skills.Metrics may be a little lighter,less power but go to hot into a turn, any type of target fixation,incorrect braking any type of situation we all encounter and the result to the body is the same,unfortunately .
we agree on training etc... not on the type of bike... i got it. I ran ito a guy on a naked honda silverwing 650. it was huge and the guy was 6 foot and some change. he was happy and said he only paid $400 for it.

would you give a ferrari, porsche (not a boxster), or a top-end corvette to a 16 year-old for a first car? no, because death and/or destruction would follow, abruptly. too much power and speed, not to mention the cost.

you want this guy to live and show up at a rally or group run, right?

Last edited by cvaria; 01-10-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Blacklinebrett wants to know Dino or Syn?
It's riding a motorcycle not flying a space ship. And I would expect an adult to ride within their limits, just because you have power doesn't mean you have to drag race. My 1st was Harley dyna and short of a couple goofy footwork stop signs which you'll have either way , all was fine. Guys want to sound big time and experienced by saying you newbie can't just do what I do you gotta start on a weenie bike , you'll kill yourself on my big boy bike. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Blacklinebrett; 01-10-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Blacklinebrett is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Bad, bad little harley riders, you guys keep recommending rice send in your man card

Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Heck why not recommend a moped.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.