Close call, but avoided it and the flying debris - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
still want a phone holder?

The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy. -Charles de Montesquieu
Fred1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

semw wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1369 View Post
still want a phone holder?
I much more closely watch my air buffer zone now. I also will not be last in line stopped on the freeway. Iíll split lanes to make sure that does not happen to me.

I would like to mount my phone on my handlebars to use with the WAZE app as a GPS. I already use the phone for music while riding and sometimes it would really be a help to have GPS.

i must say i found your comment unhelpful and rather condenscending.
semw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Premium Member

lumpy38 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good job avoiding disaster or death, obviously you were focusing your full attention on operating your scoot and what was happening around you. As far as the comment from Fred1369 goes ..... I'd ask the same question. I translated it as ... "What would have happened if you were playing with you phone at that time?"
.030 Cometic + .010 in the hole = .040 squish
SE Fatshots - 15 discs closed ends
83/83 tuned at BigBoyz
lumpy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

TenMidgets wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have accelerated out of more pucker moments than brake. Msot people don;t realize the throttle is a much better option in many cases. Instinctively people will grab a crap load of brakes. Cars will STOP in an intersection when they are in trouble rather than power out of a situation.

Nice to read this stuff. We can amaze ourselves in pucker moments like these. I know I have and my skillset sucks after 35 years. I will never "believe" I can ride.
TenMidgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Clueless bitter old man

Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by semw View Post
I much more closely watch my air buffer zone now. I also will not be last in line stopped on the freeway. I’ll split lanes to make sure that does not happen to me.

I would like to mount my phone on my handlebars to use with the WAZE app as a GPS. I already use the phone for music while riding and sometimes it would really be a help to have GPS.

and now I must say, for another opinion, I found Fred's comment insightful and thought provoking.
That 1/2 second where you recognized the hazard gave you time to respond to that hazard and not just react. Can you say with absolute certainty that your eyes would not have been focused on the device on your handlebars instead of on the road? Can you absolutly gaurentee that your eyes will not be on that device the next time it happens?
I'll bet your betting they will.

I'm only responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.

I used to think I was overreacting, then I realized it was just a normal reaction to an abnormal amount of bullsh!t.
Ahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
I much more closely watch my air buffer zone now. I also will not be last in line stopped on the freeway. Iíll split lanes to make sure that does not happen to me.

Just getting across that dicking with a phone while driving is a dumb idea.
But I do have a question for you , if you would be so kind. I tried using my phone to play Pandora but even with changing to a quieter exhaust pipe and sticking ear buds in my ears there was still too much noise from the highway to make it worthwhile. In town it is OK. How do you get around the highway noise thing?

The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy. -Charles de Montesquieu
Fred1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:

Not for anything But I listen to music while I ride, and take calls and listen to GPS voice navigation all at the same time while my phone is tucked way deep in my pocket through wired Klipsch earbuds. I use an International version of the Galaxy Note 2 phone and I do not need to see the screen at all while riding. Ever. Voice Navigation is always clear and precise. Interrupts the music and when on an unusual incoming call it remains in the BG giving accurate prompts.

No need to mount it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
In town it is OK. How do you get around the highway noise thing?
Get a good set of earbuds and use Triple flanged ot better yet Comply tips. The isolation from the outside will scare you it can be so good. I take one out at lights and all stops to ensure I hear any unusual skidding or sirens. I run after market pipes as well which is why I began using them in the first place.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
Premium Member

lumpy38 wants to know Dino or Syn?
In my state it's illegal to be wearing 2 earbuds/plugs or anything else in your ears while driving. Regardless of whether it is illegal or not, my common sense tells me that it simply is not a good idea while operating a motor vehicle especially a motorcycle. I'm sure it's one of the many reasons why I'm still alive. (knock on wood)
.030 Cometic + .010 in the hole = .040 squish
SE Fatshots - 15 discs closed ends
83/83 tuned at BigBoyz
lumpy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Re: Close call, but avoided it and the flying debris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahar View Post
and now I must say, for another opinion, I found Fred's comment insightful and thought provoking.
That 1/2 second where you recognized the hazard gave you time to respond to that hazard and not just react. Can you say with absolute certainty that your eyes would not have been focused on the device on your handlebars instead of on the road? Can you absolutly gaurentee that your eyes will not be on that device the next time it happens?
I'll bet your betting they will.
Guess I'm lucky i didn't spend a 1/2 second glancing at my speedometer.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 01-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Re: Close call, but avoided it and the flying debris

Quote:
Just getting across that dicking with a phone while driving is a dumb idea.
But I do have a question for you , if you would be so kind. I tried using my phone to play Pandora but even with changing to a quieter exhaust pipe and sticking ear buds in my ears there was still too much noise from the highway to make it worthwhile. In town it is OK. How do you get around the highway noise thing?
I use Tunz molded earbuds. They are comfortable, reduce noise and let important sounds in.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Clueless bitter old man

Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club
[QUOTE=semw;2216590]Guess I'm lucky i didn't spend a 1/2 second glancing at my speedometer.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Motorcycle.com Free App[/QUOTE

If it is taking you a half second to "glance" at your speedometer, you might be right.

I'm only responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.

I used to think I was overreacting, then I realized it was just a normal reaction to an abnormal amount of bullsh!t.
Ahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement