Paint clearcoat absorbing moisture : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

brother wants to know Dino or Syn?
Paint clearcoat absorbing moisture

I have a 06 EGC and every time the paint gets wet it turns cloudy untill it drys. Any one else have this problem.
brother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Y2K
IronButt

Y2K wants to know Dino or Syn?
No but I've waxed the paint on my 2000 many times in the last 172,000 miles.

I'd clean it real well,maybe even a light rubout with an ultra fine compound like Meguiars paint cleaner and then wax it real well with a good carnauba wax.
That should seal it up and make it shine.

Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

werdna65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Clear coat or any paint is basicly sealed when it's sprayed, It sounds like you need a different type of wax or to strip the wax you have off and start over. if you are using a detailer they are mainly silicone and can react with some waxes and can cause the cloudy look your seeing
werdna65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

hardheaded wants to know Dino or Syn?
yes i would clay bar it and start over with some good wax.
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I have a vivid black 2004 Road King Custom which came with leather bags. I replaced them with a set of new hard bags in August 2004. The bags will get cloudy when wet but not the tins.
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

werdna65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I thinks I get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Salty View Post
I have a vivid black 2004 Road King Custom which came with leather bags. I replaced them with a set of new hard bags in August 2004. The bags will get cloudy when wet but not the tins.
I think I know what you mean now, I forgot till you said the ABS does it but not the tin work, I have a 2011 RKC and the cold water from the outside hose does make it "Cloud over" for a brief time maybe 1-2 minute. Not sure why it does but it clears up, thinking that the Metalics they are using? or they still use Lacurer paint could possibly be that.
werdna65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

The bike is waxed a lot and kept covered under my carport. You shouldn't need wax to stop clearcoat from absorbing moisture. But also your gauges shouldn't get full of moisture all the time also. Maybe it's a water based clear coat to keep the tree huggers happy. Also so like salty says, it's the bags and trunk not the tins. Merry Christmas everybody! I'm at work and having fun.

Last edited by brother; 12-25-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
not sober all the time

What color brother? Merry Christmas back to you.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

It's a redish marune with light small green flakes. I don't know the name though.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother View Post
The bike is waxed a lot and kept covered under my carport. You shouldn't need wax to stop clearcoat from absorbing moisture. But also your gauges shouldn't get full of moisture all the time also. Maybe it's a water based clear coat to keep the tree huggers happy. Also so like salty says, it's the bags and trunk not the tins. Merry Christmas everybody! I'm at work and having fun.
that might be part of the problem, you could have to much wax build up, should not have to wax that more than a couple times a year at most
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

It's been waxed alot because I ride a lot and the clear coat they have now scratches if you sneeze on it, so I wax it to get the scratches out.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
not sober all the time

I can assure you, too much wax isn't the problem on mine.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Larbaldi wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother View Post
It's been waxed alot because I ride a lot and the clear coat they have now scratches if you sneeze on it, so I wax it to get the scratches out.
Waxing DOES NOT remove the scratches ... it merely fills the scratches ( small voids ) with wax to give the illusion of a smooth ( perfect ) surface. Yes, too much wax is/can be a problem but I can't attest to the fact that it's what is causing your cloudiness ... I know that when I've sprayed in high humidity situations I've gotten a cloudy haze in the darker colors ... I recommend that you stop by a body shop ( or automotive paint store ) and talk with one of the paint techs who should be able to shed some light on your situation.
BUSHTEC QUANTUM TRAILER ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
AMA MEMBER / ABATE MEMBER
Larbaldi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.