Brit looking for advice on a trip across US - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #31 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I think you're on to something there Chief!

I believe a bunch of likkered-up Brit soccer hooligans and equally likkered up rednecks could do some serious damage and be highly entertaining in the process! Only thing missing might be a few Ozzies for good measure.

Probably do us all a world of good as a break from the PC BS that's killing both our countries. Hope those boys get here fast.
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #32 (permalink)
IronButt

BUBBIE wants to know Dino or Syn?
IF ME,

I'd postpone that vacation Ride until very end of mar into april.
Much more enjoyable for the weather...

Have you thought Maybe to Buy bikes (used) then sell when finished?

Could be possible...

MIGHT be a way for you.

Just THOUGHTS

signed....BUBBIE
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #33 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
I live in south MS and also spent 15 years in New Orleans. It's possible in February and also early March to find temps in the high 20's and up all along Interstate 10 for most of your route. In TX, LA, MS and FL panhandle, it happens frequently although usually doesn't last more than a few days.

I've ridden to Daytona at the end of Feb many times with temps in 30's the whole way. Also lots of options other than I10 depending on how much time you've got and how much sightseeing you want to do.

New Orleans has changed a lot since Katrina. You need to be aware of your surroundings and stay alert after dark. Course that's true in any big city now days.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #34 (permalink)
FNG :)

Jonny_Cannon wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet - it may be a bit north, but I would suggest Arches National Park, just outside of Moab, Utah. It was one of the best spots I've seen, and it's not too far off I-70.

Cannon
Jonny_Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #35 (permalink)

Thrust wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don't think the law lets us buy bikes as we have no permanent address and anyhow the reason to do the trip in February is that Harley hire is less than half price for a one way trip to FL as they need the bikes for Daytona.

Normally Harley rental is unbelievably high - at that applies worldwide plus they try to sting you $600 for a one way drop off.

So the other issue is it has to be dropped off by 16 February meaning some long days - but I'm used to that.

This wont be a once in a lifetime trip as I've ridden (and driven) in the US before so I'm not worried about missing some bits - I'll be back!

I will try and post a route via Google maps that maybe you could comment on.

And of course if any of you are sort of I-10 ish based it would be neat to meet up - I'll speak slowly but drink quicker!

Last edited by Thrust; 12-13-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #36 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Chief Davis57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrust View Post
Well it looks like I will be doing the ride solo now!

I don't think the law lets us buy bikes as we have no permanent address and anyhow the reason to do the trip in February is that Harley hire is less than half price for a one way trip to FL as they need the bikes for Daytona.

Normally Harley rental is unbelievably high - at that applies worldwide plus they try to sting you $600 for a one way drop off.

So the other issue is it has to be dropped off by 16 February meaning some long days - but I'm used to that.

This wont be a once in a lifetime trip as I've ridden (and driven) in the US before so I'm not worried about missing some bits - I'll be back!

I will try and post a route via Google maps that maybe you could comment on.

And of course if any of you are sort of I-10 ish based it would be neat to meet up - I'll speak slowly but drink quicker!
Perhaps it would be possible to rent the bike from the other side of the worst of it and ride in from there. Remember our micro brews here more resemble your pub varieties than our mainstreams do. Best of luck. For me just trippin down to San Diego from Sonoma (above SF)along the coast is enough of an adventure. Any one that does cross country has my respect...
Chief Davis57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #37 (permalink)

Thrust wants to know Dino or Syn?
Proposed route?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...f86c4e63&msa=0
Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrust View Post
Weather wise, this is the best possible route for early February. Anything is possible but the most likely places to get some nasty weather is in Arizona and New Mexico. Do enjoy New Orleans. It is my third favorite city in America (New York and San Francisco are the other two).
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #39 (permalink)
IronButt

BUBBIE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
Weather wise, this is the best possible route for early February. Anything is possible but the most likely places to get some nasty weather is in Arizona and New Mexico. Do enjoy New Orleans. It is my third favorite city in America (New York and San Francisco are the other two).
Living below this planned route in So. East Az, close to NM....I'd say the Az route will Not be as cold as the others toward the east are, NM and Tx. I have seen Az being into the 70's during this time of year here. Yes still cold mornings and evenings though.

You are on the lowest ride across without getting into Mx. My thinking, IT will be the Best route for you. Good choice.

signed....BUBBIE
Old 12-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #40 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Good on ya Thrust! It'll be a hell of a fun trip.
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #41 (permalink)
IronButt

WEINERDOGBONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
The route looks good. You're going to have fun.
WEINERDOGBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #42 (permalink)
Swamprat Rider

JayFL459 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If go this route when get to Lake City, FL Jump off I-10 at Exit 303 Hwy 441 will buy coffee lunch whatever, and if interested in getting to Daytona a far shorter and more scenic way than staying on I-10 to I-95 South will be glad to put you on the right path to get there ..
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #43 (permalink)
IronButt

Thundermug wants to know Dino or Syn?
Jay, I think his route showed him taking A1A down to St. Auggie...then to Orlando.

Last edited by Thundermug; 12-12-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Thundermug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBIE View Post
Living below this planned route in So. East Az, close to NM....I'd say the Az route will Not be as cold as the others toward the east are, NM and Tx. I have seen Az being into the 70's during this time of year here. Yes still cold mornings and evenings though.

You are on the lowest ride across without getting into Mx. My thinking, IT will be the Best route for you. Good choice.

signed....BUBBIE
The cold parts of the southwest don't bother me, I've got enough heated gear. It's when it gets windy or stormy that I don't like it. The wind can be real nasty.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #45 (permalink)
IronButt

GaryInSanDiego wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't forget to wear your lead-lined chaps from LA to San Diego. They're getting ready to re-start San Onofre. You'll pass right by it.
GaryInSanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement