Broken tranny dipstick, yuck! - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

Inspector 12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The problem you are experiencing is the main reason that neither of my bikes have transmission dipsticks in them. Soon after buying both bikes pulled transmission dipstick and cut them off and put the plug back in. Keep a dipstick near where the bikes are parked so I can check it as needed but no dipsticks in the trans any longer for me.

06 Street Bob, SE 120R, VH Propipe HO, SERT, 139.92 hp, 133.70 tq.
Inspector 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

alexlivetoride wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just an update, I GOT IT OUT! LOL

I spent an hour here and there, suck all the fluid out with a suction pump so I can see things better, still can't find the broken piece. When I was about to give up, I use a coat hanger and bend a little elbow at the end, took the broken piece out. Thanks god 1000 times. The broken piece probably sit there for a while, no grinding, the end broke flush so I don't worry.

FYI, even they call that a tranny pan in the parts microfiche, it is actually an engine oil pan, the tranny drain passes through the pan, anything drop in the tranny will not go to the bottom pan, it stays in the tranny housing. I was reading a lot of dipstick corrosion problems and fell in tranny, I am going to cut the rest of the dipstick and use it as a cap, keep a spare one just for checking tranny level.

Thanks everyone trying to help, I am a lucky one this time!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 12 View Post
The problem you are experiencing is the main reason that neither of my bikes have transmission dipsticks in them. Soon after buying both bikes pulled transmission dipstick and cut them off and put the plug back in. Keep a dipstick near where the bikes are parked so I can check it as needed but no dipsticks in the trans any longer for me.
What? We're supposed to check that stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlivetoride View Post
Just an update, I GOT IT OUT! LOL

I spent an hour here and there, suck all the fluid out with a suction pump so I can see things better, still can't find the broken piece. When I was about to give up, I use a coat hanger and bend a little elbow at the end, took the broken piece out. Thanks god 1000 times. The broken piece probably sit there for a while, no grinding, the end broke flush so I don't worry.

FYI, even they call that a tranny pan in the parts microfiche, it is actually an engine oil pan, the tranny drain passes through the pan, anything drop in the tranny will not go to the bottom pan, it stays in the tranny housing. I was reading a lot of dipstick corrosion problems and fell in tranny, I am going to cut the rest of the dipstick and use it as a cap, keep a spare one just for checking tranny level.

Thanks everyone trying to help, I am a lucky one this time!
Glad it worked out.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement