Chassis stabilizer : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

rayo1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Chassis stabilizer

What effect does a chassis stabilizer serve?What will you gain or lose in corners or curves. I had one installed, now it rides like it may be a bit off center or rides as though its not quite level.
rayo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

FLHTDan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo1 View Post
What effect does a chassis stabilizer serve?What will you gain or lose in corners or curves. I had one installed, now it rides like it may be a bit off center or rides as though its not quite level.
There are a couple different types out there. Not sure which one you have.
Could it have been over tightened?
FLHTDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I am going to have the Harley dealer double check it. I had them install it. What is its primary purpose? I had high speed wobble I was trying to correct. The main cause of the wobble was the oversized tire. (200 as opposed to the OEM 180 on the rear). however w/the 180 it still acts as though it may want to wobble. was hoping the stabilizer would correct the problem.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

FLHTDan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
I am going to have the Harley dealer double check it. I had them install it. What is its primary purpose? I had high speed wobble I was trying to correct. The main cause of the wobble was the oversized tire. (200 as opposed to the OEM 180 on the rear). however w/the 180 it still acts as though it may want to wobble. was hoping the stabilizer would correct the problem.
Oversized tire can be a problem. The sidewall could be touching somewhere and not noticed after reinstalled. Rear tire could have been installed off center a bit?
What year/model is your bike.
Neck bearings, swingarm bearings, tire pressure are things that need to be checked. Spoked wheels need to be true and cast rims should be balanced.
FLHTDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I have a 2011 street glide. Is there really a external stabilizer made for the newer chassis? My thinking was that it would help. Just my thinking maybe?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have a 2011 street glide. Is there really a external stabilizer made for the newer chassis? My thinking was that it would help. Just my thinking maybe?
I don't mean any offense, but I have to ask.

If you don't know the purpose of the stabilizer, why did you have one installed?

If you were trying to correct a problem that you say was caused by upsizing the rear tire, why not change the tire back to the right size?

What does "may want to wobble" mean?

Here is a product made for your chassis.
http://www.true-track.com/tt_20-00-09.html

Here is some good info (browse the site a little) about this particular stabilizer and what it does.
http://www.true-track.com/tt_faqs.html

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

The slight to ooh **** wobble is present with the correct wheels and tires but somewhat intermittent. I was hoping to correct the problem.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

carvmann wants to know Dino or Syn?
Progressive stabilizer

I bought the kit for my 2008 Ultra and according to the instructions it can be misleading. The instructions states to verify your allignement before the final link is to be attached. At this point it opens up a can of worms that no one has explained. If according to your shop manual you use 42-47 ft lbs in torquing you bracket to the frame it does not tell you what the other side was torqued at. In other words you have to re torque both sides which opens up a bigger can of worms. Reading the shop manual to properly do the alignment may take hrs providing you have the HD tool which cost about 800 bucks. I also understand that the brackets ( both sides) thats being torqued down is very critical on the way you bike handles. Am I missing something here?
carvmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

RASNHAVK wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the Alloy Art Stabilizer installed on my bike, however my bike came with it already so not having much experience without one. But what I do know is I am still battling a wobble when cornering on long bends. Seems like if I throttle through the turn more it evens out a little but the ole lady sometimes gives me a squacking in the ear when were already doing 70-75 and I continue to roll on. I do also have a 21" tire in the front and my bike is a 2006. So maybe I should look into bushings and other things before throwing more $ at a new stabilizer. Not much help on your topic but just some insight on the fact I have the Alloy Art and I still have a wobble.
18" Renegade rear
RaceTech Springs
Alloy Art TRX stabilizer
Arch Audio Amp
Arch Audio 6 1/2" speakers
TW54G
Gear drive
95"
104.98 HP
107.35 TQ
RASNHAVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I must be lucky. I have a 2002 fxdx-t and cruise the hwy at 80 and have had it up to 105 when I chickened out, the bike had more to go. I have never noticed a wobble of any kind. Would the touring bikes wobble because of all the wind intereference with fork mounted fairing and those big ol' saddlebags? Is there an inherent defect in Harley design that causes the wobble and therefore business for TruTrak?

The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy. -Charles de Montesquieu
Fred1369 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

MacETAC wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you don't have the nice pump for the rear air shocks, get one... Check the pressure... You may be too light in the rear, which will create a handling problem that feels like it is in the front end... Had a similar issue, which was rear shock pressure... Go by the instructions in the bike maual, for correct pressures, due to weight of rider, and such... I'm 280 and run my rears at 20+ psi... Check it out, and let us know... I may make another suggestion...

MAC
Maitre de Acquisition Creatif
(Master of Creative Acquisition)

"They's somethin 'bout that boy jus' ain' right"...

2004 RK Classic (Ruby)
TMax EFI Module w/ O2 Sensors
S&S Power Tune Headers
S&S Power Tour Mufflers
TMax High Flow Air Cleaner
(Further mods TBA)
MacETAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

MacETAC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Crap... Depending on your build, personal in respect, the forks may be too soft too... Mine were screwed beyond compare... I went to a set of Progressive Heavy Duty fork springs, and actually have Lucas 20w50 synthetic motor oil in the forks... It rides like a dream... Just believe me on this... Suggested by a friend, and local Indi owner, been running this for 2+ years...

MAC
Maitre de Acquisition Creatif
(Master of Creative Acquisition)

"They's somethin 'bout that boy jus' ain' right"...

2004 RK Classic (Ruby)
TMax EFI Module w/ O2 Sensors
S&S Power Tune Headers
S&S Power Tour Mufflers
TMax High Flow Air Cleaner
(Further mods TBA)

Last edited by MacETAC; 01-28-2013 at 01:58 AM.
MacETAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Poser

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Wobble on a 2011?

that's not right. I thought they had a better frame and shouldn't need a stabilizer.

What is your "high speed wobble"? Is it a constant wobble at high speed?

Did they properly balance that tire?

Did it not happen before the larger tire was installed?

rkc
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Agree with the suggestions above but the most critical thing that is almost always missed is the fact that the bike cannot handle properly with worn out rubber doughnuts/isolators at the rear swingarm bolt. These doughnuts are easily replaced and they have been updated by Harley. They compress over time (approx 20 thousand) and allow for lateral play in the swingarm. When I replaced the mounts on the front with a urethane and new doughnuts my bike again handled "like new". Most of the aftermarket stiffeners work, my Progressive worked as well, but what they are doing is covering up the symptom of the sloppy mounts. They are about 48 bucks a piece and need to be replaced anyway so why not save some bucks and see if it works. You can always try a stiffener later. Of course I am assuming the newer bikes still use the doughnuts or similar on the rear of the frame. I realize they now have 2 on the front for a 4 point mounting system. BTW I have used the progressive front springs for many thousands of miles on my old Gold Wings (Heavy Fairings!) and highly recomend them. As far as torquing the frame swingarm bolts, piece o' cake, just have a friend hold opposite nut solid with a socket and 1/2 inch ratchet. Than switch tool and retorque other side. Take the time to watch the Glide Pro videos for some invaluable advice, also info on frame alignment with common tools!
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

2010hdultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
Re: Chassis stabilizer

My buddy that thinks he knows everything, kept telling me when i was looking at my 2010 ultra, dont forget youll need a stabalizer if you get that bike. He also said the front forks were air suspension with resevoirs in the bars. I started doing some research and what i was finding is the new frame and swing arm design that they changed to in 2009 stiffened the whole bike up alot compared to the pre 2008 models. S no need for a stabalizer. But who knows someone could have engineered one since i looked back in sept 09...
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement