Torn between a Heritage and a Stratoliner - Page 6 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #76 (permalink)
IronButt

GeorgeC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Horse View Post
Slow down a little, your about to drop in to Harley ownership, not just buying a bike, but making it into yours. If you must change handlebars (how many miles have you ridden this bike) I suggest you get a set of take off original style bars for this bike and start from there. What ever you do make sure the present cables wit fit,, or cost of replacing them.
I guess you're right, I may be jumping the gun. I can go for a few rides first. Good call on the cables; Thanks!
GeorgeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #77 (permalink)
IronButt

Greg MacD wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
The Strat is such a strong highway bike, 1900cc of freight train. The Heritage is a really cool Classic bike, 2004.

The thing that gets me is, the Strat is less expensive to purchase, costs less to maintain and is more dependable. The Harley on the other hand, is cooler and more iconic.

What you guys and gals think?
Ride a Harley for 10 years and see what it is worth (dollar value), ride a Star for that same duration of time and take a look at their value and ask yourself what bike is the better "cost" value. Also think about the parts and their availability, in 10 years I will be able to buy a drive belt for my H-D, you might not be that lucky with the Star. I had this problem with my early Victory Motorcycle, just could not buy parts.....sucked!

2003 Ford SD 7.3L Diesel
Greg MacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #78 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
A lot of guys get heritage bars which are essentially baby apes and come standard on some of the police bikes. Also as a previous poster pointed out it appears the controls were mounted in an awkward position. It will improve the comfort if they are simply rotated to fit the normal extension of your hands so that you pull the clutch and brake levers straight back in line with your arms for better leverage. If longer cables weren't installed with the beach bars the cables will probably be fairly close to the right length as well for the baby apes fir close to stock also.

Last edited by coastie56; 12-01-2012 at 07:57 PM.
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #79 (permalink)
IronButt

GeorgeC wants to know Dino or Syn?
I rode the bike about 60 miles today; did not like the beach bars. Also, need to get a windshield, or... put on the fairing from my Roadstar. I put a Road Glide fairing on my Roadstar recently - nice setup!

Has anyone ever put the RG fairing on a Road King? It's basically the same as a Road Glide, right?

Also, my speedometer stopped working halfway through the ride - is this a common problem? Maybe a fuse??

2001 Road King
WTF
USMC 1977-1981 Semper Fi!
Southern California

Last edited by GeorgeC; 12-02-2012 at 12:00 AM.
GeorgeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #80 (permalink)
IronButt

RKC-Charlie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Easy yo see that the headlight opening will not match that RK's.
Your license is expired, sept 2012, if that is a recent snapshot..
Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #81 (permalink)
IronButt

Thundermug wants to know Dino or Syn?
Glad to see you finally made a purchase, it looks nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbob View Post
for me the question to ask yourself is a very simple one:

"when I walk into the garage and see my (insert brand name/model name here) sitting there, how does it make me feel?"
4 and a half years ago I bought a sporty. I still look at it and smile. Did I do that with the other (honda, kaw, yama) bikes I have owned? No.
I don't have a garage, I live at the beach, and there is some rust due to the salt air...but I still smile and feel good inside because that dark blue and chrome sporty sure does look good!

I'm sure the OP will feel the same way a few years from now...grinning, ya know?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #82 (permalink)
Premium Member

autoworker wants to know Dino or Syn?
These bars may interest you.
J&P catalog part #500-772 are beach bars that will fit your bike.They are not nearly as wide as the ones you have.

I have a set on a RK and at roughly 6' 3" tall I really like the way the fit me.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #83 (permalink)
IronButt

gb1500 wants to know Dino or Syn?
the thing is most street metrics don't have an engine performance upgrade world.... just the oem parts to fix em back up stock when something breaks....harleys have a universe of aftermarket upgrades to get it performing like you want it....and the great satisfaction of your new found power and much better if you wrenched it yourself.....you gotta think about the whole package...if you don't like to tinker and if your not a mechanic you need $$ for one...but now most harleys are very dependable if you dont mess with it and are happy with stock....but they can be made much more dependable with the right mods..and degraded with the wrong mods....if you just want to turn a key and not care whats going on down there that will hold you off for now...until you save up for that harley....of course!!
gb1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #84 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here is a pic of my RK with the beach bars, mine are (i believe) Burly Bikini Bars they are 36" wide at the ends of the grips. I'm at 6' and they are quite comfortable. I think where your hand controls are make for a funny angle and being uncomfortable. Then again, i've never liked the wide beach bars on anything but softails. Mine are not too wide pretty good for splitting lanes. Also have a Bob Dron /Ness Fairing, It doesn't have the coverage of a full windshield but i like it. I think it will help deflect the wind around my tunes too. I think i have a steel braided clutch cable that was on my bike i'd give you if you needed it. I don't think it was mint condition, clear outer sheath has some scuffs, buy you could have it if you were up Ontario way ever.

Tim

PS bike isn't sitting on lift straight lol they look crooked

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway

Last edited by 1bdBagr; 12-02-2012 at 06:18 PM.
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #85 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oh yeah, Pull seat off and unbolt dash/speedo assembly and make sure its all plugged in correctly and nothing was loose. Re-Check speedo....i've never had mine act up like that.
Second thing i forgot, putting the Road Glide fairing would be a good size project. Better to look into a batwing detachable type at least for ease of install and keeping the bike's heritage. Good luck
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement