Torn between a Heritage and a Stratoliner - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #31 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don't think resale value should factor into your choice. Buy what you want the first time and you'll be happy for years to come. If/when you decide to sell then get what you can and move on. Motorcycles are not an investment.

Choosing which model Harley to buy depends on your riding style. If you plan on doing a lot of highway/interstate riding, especially two-up, then i'd suggest you go with one of the touring models, i.e., Road King, E-glide, Road Glide. These models have more storage and are smoother at highway speeds. The softail models, like the Heritage, are more buzzy at high speeds due to the balanced engine. Either way, i suggest you get an 07 or newer model. These have 96 or 103 engines with six speed tranny. You can find some great deals on low mileage 07-08 bikes now days.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #32 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

GeorgeC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Looking at an 02 and 04 Road King, don't these have 96 or bigger motors? What about the police bikes? Are they worth buying?
GeorgeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #33 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Looking at an 02 and 04 Road King, don't these have 96 or bigger motors? What about the police bikes? Are they worth buying?
They were pretty much all 88"ers till 07 cept for some cvo's ( limited edition pricey bikes) and a couple other rare exceptions. Thats the newer TC motor, b4 that the evos were 80.The cop bikes are nice IMO but it's all personal taste. Have you ever spent some decent time riding an HD? If not try to rent one for a day, might help your decision. For me, the fun factor on a HD beats most other bikes. They're just a blast to ride. As far as the 88", if you really want the bigger motor but your finding the best deal on an 88 and You really like the bike, a 95 or 98" kit isn't that pricey, especially if ya just want the cubes ( no cam, headwork, etc ) if you or a friend is a fairly competent wrench it's even cheaper , just be careful with performance work, it can become an addiction, a fun one but an addiction all the same.

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #34 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Another thing I noticed is that the Road King and other touring bikes have dual shocks, one on each side of the swingarm; isn't that a bit outdated? I remember the old dirt bikes from the 70's, then everything went to mono-shock.
The Heritage and Dyna's have a different type of swingarm; is there much of a difference in the ride, between the Dyna's, Heritage and the like?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #35 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
They all have 2 shocks. The softails (heritage, fatboy.etc ) have them mounted down under the bike horizontally and that kinda triangular swingarm pivots on em. The Dynas have traditional dual shock positioning. I've always liked softails but can't compare them to a dyna cause I've never rode one. My softail isn't the smoothest ride in the world but back then, 1988, the were solid mounted motors with no balancing chit like the newer ones so they're not really comparable. You should see if any of your local HD dealers allow test rides, I hear a few still do, to get an idea what you like best.

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #36 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

What about the Street Glide, is that a touring frame, like the Road King?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:45 AM   #37 (permalink)
Outsider

Half_crazy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Still haven't located the Harley Davidson website?

Click on this:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...torcycles.html

Point your mouse pointer at the words "2013 Motorcycles" on the top left in orange letters.

Suddenly it will all make sense... The bikes are listed by chassis...
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.
Half_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #38 (permalink)
IronButt

huskerbob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
almost everybody here is willing to "help out" a little George but it would be nice if you were willing to do a little of the work yourself.

the internet is a wonderful thing...........
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #39 (permalink)
Premium Member

autoworker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Go buy a Yamaha.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #40 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
SSG I knew wanted a Harley. He was a family man and responsible type person.
He saved his money and waited till he could buy cash and new. The day came he had the cash. At the last minute he changed his mind and purchased a Honda clone save about 1500 dollars.
He rode it a few days and then I never saw him on it.
I ask him about that.
" I screwed up Top it was not want I wanted" His wife said it was boring .Now I can't sell it and am stuck with it. "Someday I will have my Harley"
Old 11-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #41 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yep, after reading his response to my comment, as I had given him the benefit of a doubt, I realize he was trolling for and argument and decided not to feed him anymore. Guys just let it go, maybe it will go away.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #42 (permalink)
IronButt

TaylorMcStrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
SSG I knew wanted a Harley. He was a family man and responsible type person.
He saved his money and waited till he could buy cash and new. The day came he had the cash. At the last minute he changed his mind and purchased a Honda clone save about 1500 dollars.
He rode it a few days and then I never saw him on it.
I ask him about that.
" I screwed up Top it was not want I wanted" His wife said it was boring .Now I can't sell it and am stuck with it. "Someday I will have my Harley"
I've heard several versions of the same basic story. The guy likely peed away the $1500 he "saved" and is now stuck with something he's not happy with. It sits in his garage and costs him space and money to maintain and insure it. Why bother?

A motorcycle - ANY motorcycle - is a luxury item for almost any American. It's not like we use them as primary transportation like the Chinese and many Europeans.

I never understand why some people who buy luxury/adult toy items prattle on about saving a few bucks. If you want to save money, don't buy adult toys, and REALLY save your money.

My Harley cost me a lot of money. It's still costing me money. I've dumped the cost of another new motorcycle into performance upgrades, lighting, electrics, clothes, etc. I ride the crap out of it. It has paint dings, chips in the fairing, and road grime. I have loved every mile.

If you just want a garage ornament to show off to your golfing buddies, fine. Just accept the fact and move on.

....and you don't need to troll us here. Most of the guys/gals posting here are motorcycle RIDERS.
TaylorMcStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #43 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I have done research on the internet, however, I have learned more by talking to people and hearing their opinions. I currently ride a Roadstar, just thought it was time to add another bike to the stable.

For all the haters and arrogant members, why even read and post on a forum, if you're not willing to share information? Isn't that what a forum is, someplace to share information about a common interest?

The Harley website is fine for 2013 models, however, they do not go into detail on all the previous years and options, like 2002, 2004, etc...
Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #44 (permalink)
FNG :)

mark313 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Mark, To be fair, the V-Star 950 is a cheap, entry level, starter bike. You are comparing a $9,000 motorcycle to an $18,000 motorcycle. So the $18,000 bike is built better? I would hope so... Like comparing a Yugo to a Volvo.
Half Crazy,

You are exactly right! You can't compare those two. I was just trying to point out, maybe not so clearly the reason I went with the Heritage over the Roadstar or Strat.
mark313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #45 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
I have done research on the internet, however, I have learned more by talking to people and hearing their opinions. I currently ride a Roadstar, just thought it was time to add another bike to the stable.

For all the haters and arrogant members, why even read and post on a forum, if you're not willing to share information? Isn't that what a forum is, someplace to share information about a common interest?

The Harley website is fine for 2013 models, however, they do not go into detail on all the previous years and options, like 2002, 2004, etc...
Hi George.
Were not Haters, but we do get are share of trolls here trolling to start sh!t from time to time. I read your first post ad waited to reply to see if you were being serious and a troll, I feel that you are being serious so I will treat you as you are asking to learn.

In touring models (And the frames are all the same between the sub models) The twin cam frame started in 1999. The early ones had issues with the first cam design (The gear would strip the wood drift key). They changed to a spline in 2000 but the engine still has cam issues. Most of this was found to be oil galley issue with dirt from the 30micron filters Harley was using, they now use a 5micron filter. There was still and issue with the can spring tensioners, they would fail without warning. S&S came up with a gear drive cam system to eliminate the chains. In 2003, Harley changed the bottom end going from the "Timkin" three bearing flywheel set up to a two roller bearing set up. There both good solid set-ups, but the roller gave more movement to the crank and this made installing the gear set up more problematical, as the run out could chip the gear teeth. Harley fixed the chain issue in 2007 with the introduction of the latest twin cam the 96. The new cam chain tensoinors used oil pressure instead of springs and used a better nylon pad that did not wear out.

Now to your question about 2000-2004. Up until 2002 Harley used the Marrelli injection system, while it worked fine when it works, it is hard to fix and expensive to get parts for, many of these bikes have been converted to Carburetor. In 2002 Harley changed to the GM/Delphi system, and it is still in use today and it far easier to work on. 2006 was the last year you could get a Carburetor. So if your looking at a 2000-2001 be sure it has the carburetor.
Any of them you buy, be ready to change the cam system over to the new Harley system, you will need the cams, chain plat oil pump and so on, Harley sells it in a kit. (Assuming it has not been changed over). Be ready to install a true track (Again, assuming it does not have one) all the Harley tour bikes have an issue with tracking and this will correct it. I would also suggest having the front motor mount replaced, they usually wear enough in 15,000 miles to warrant replacement.

Try to avoid used bikes that have been heavily modified, it usually is a nightmare. The more stock the better.

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers (Hey, they were free)
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement