Torn between a Heritage and a Stratoliner - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Premium Member

HogDreamer wants to know Dino or Syn?
I purchased a Stratoliner in '07 when I couldn't convince the wife that the extra money for a Harley was worth the price if admission. "Both have a motor and two wheels" she remarked "but the Harley cost $5,000 more". Hard to argue with that line of reasoning so I bought the Star.

I too was looking at either a Heritage or the Stratoliner when I got the Strat. I actually did like the Stratoliner. The 113 CI motor was awesome, the handling good and the brakes were excellent. I didn't like the limited amount of space in the saddlebags but with an added trunk-bag, it was livable.

The wife and I did find out we enjoyed taking long trips with the Strat. So much that I decided the lack of storage was going to become an issue down the road. I started dreaming of an Ultra taking the place of my Stratoliner.

Which is exactly what happened one year later. I took a killing selling the Star but I got what I really wanted after all; a Harley. I tried to be satisfied with the Stratoliner, I really did. I kept trying to tell myself that the Strat was a better bike for a less expensive initial cost but I still had this pull that I'd rather be on a Harley.

Course it didn't help when EVERY time someone found out I rode a motorcycle the first words out of their mouth were "is it a Harley?". That is no joke either. When I'd tell them "no" you could almost sense a look of pity in their face at my answer. Didn't matter if they rode a motorcycle or not which seemed quite strange to me. Guess that shows how strong the mystic of Harley really is.

Probably the good thing about owning the Stratoliner for that one year was I now knew that a Heritage wasn't enough bike for what I needed a bike for. I rode a friends Heritage once when I had my Strat and the brakes on the Heritage compared to the Star were terrible. That extra disc up front makes a huge difference in braking power.

If I was going to replace a Stratoliner and not go with an Ultra I would have chosen the Road King. Same touring frame and you get the extra braking capacity up front. The Brembo brakes on the touring bikes are great! The 103 may not be quite as powerful as the 113 but after a little while I'd don't think you'd miss the 113. The drive train on the Harley is much smoother than the Stratoliner so that's a huge plus.

I don't think the Stratoliner was any less expensive to maintain. I remember to change the transmission fluid the exhaust had to be removed. At least that's what the dealer told me so I took it in to them to accomplish that task. More dependable? I don't think that's true either. I've got 78,000 miles on my Ultra and haven't had any issues other than a couple bearings going out.

Good luck with your choice. The important thing is to get what YOU want, period. If you really think a Stratoliner will make you happy, go for it. If you know you really want a Harley and you're compromising, you'll probably regret your decision.
HogDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Premium Member

nutdriverss wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would go with the metric and put harley decals on the tank. You can chisle off the plastic stratoliner emblems real easy.
nutdriverss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

GeorgeC wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like the Fatboy, Heritage, Road King and Road Glide.
Not really familiar where these fall, as far as touring or non-touring. I want a bike I can take a long trip on.
Don't like the Dyna; always liked the look of the old FLH.
GeorgeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

huskerbob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
for me the question to ask yourself is a very simple one:

"when I walk into the garage and see my (insert brand name/model name here) sitting there, how does it make me feel?"

if the Strat makes you feel good and you're happy you have it, then that's the bike for you.

if on the other hand, every time you look at it you wish you had gone for the Harley, no amount of money saved will make that empty feeling go away.

Since there's no REAL reason to own ANY motorcycle other than the way they make you feel, don't obsess over the money. get the bike that makes you happy.

Make your decision with your heart, not your wallet.

It's entirely a personal choice but I have a sticker on my helmet that sums it up for me.

It reads.............."No matter how much you polish that, it still won't be a Harley!"

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by huskerbob; 11-27-2012 at 05:38 PM.
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

GeorgeC wants to know Dino or Syn?
So what's the difference between the Heritage, Fatboy and Road King?
GeorgeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

DueceDog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Years ago I had a couple of Harley's. Marriage, children, life kind of took over for a while but I always knew I'd have a bike again. Fast forward to 10 years ago and the lust for a bike was raising it's head, big time. I decided that I should be a rational man and not spend the kings ransom to satisfy my lust. So, I bought a Honda Sabre 1100. That bike was a loads of fun to ride, never gave me a lick of trouble, and was many times mistaken for a Fatboy. I put 3 different exhaust systems on it trying to get it to sound 'right'. I kept telling myself that it was a great bike....and it was. Finally one day I just heard this voice in my head saying "No matter what you do to it, it will never be what you really want!"

A month later I was riding my new Harley, and couldn't have been happier. Still am. Oh yeah, the Honda was sold for a 50% loss.

Long story to say, go with what YOU know to be in your heart. It's the only way you'll be genuinely happy.

This is the day I brought the Harley home. See my 'Fatboy' in the background.

Vietnam Vet
PGR rider
DueceDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Outsider

Half_crazy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
So what's the difference between the Heritage, Fatboy and Road King?
Ya know... since you're sitting in front of a computer connected to the information superhighway... there's always the Harley Davidson website.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US

There are reviews and comparisons all over the web as well

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...out-90133.html

Maybe a little effort on your part?

What makes you think you want one of these two bikes? You really don't know much about them.... Knowledge is power.
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.

Last edited by Half_crazy; 11-27-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Half_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

FLHTDan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceDog View Post
Years ago I had a couple of Harley's. Marriage, children, life kind of took over for a while but I always knew I'd have a bike again. Fast forward to 10 years ago and the lust for a bike was raising it's head, big time. I decided that I should be a rational man and not spend the kings ransom to satisfy my lust. So, I bought a Honda Sabre 1100. That bike was a loads of fun to ride, never gave me a lick of trouble, and was many times mistaken for a Fatboy. I put 3 different exhaust systems on it trying to get it to sound 'right'. I kept telling myself that it was a great bike....and it was. Finally one day I just heard this voice in my head saying "No matter what you do to it, it will never be what you really want!"

A month later I was riding my new Harley, and couldn't have been happier. Still am. Oh yeah, the Honda was sold for a 50% loss.

Long story to say, go with what YOU know to be in your heart. It's the only way you'll be genuinely happy.

This is the day I brought the Harley home. See my 'Fatboy' in the background.

That is one sweet looking bike!!!
FLHTDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I think you should buy the Yamaha. Take some of the money you save, go to the doctor and have him give you some 200 mg Ibuprofins and 100 mg viagaras. one will treat the stiffness in your neck as you snap your head every time a real harley rumbles past. The other will give you the stiffness you would have needed to deal with all the "problems" that appear when you ride a real Harley!
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

RKC-Charlie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fatboy and Heritage is same frame, different wheels. The Heritage adds windshield, different seat, saddlebags and different handlebars.
Road King is a touring bike, king of the road, no doubt.
All three bikes are great for long touring rides, however. Keep kicking tires until you get happy with a bike, then buy it.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
FNG :)

mark313 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Started riding again at 51 bought a VStar 950 which served me well for a year. But I realized I am needed more. Thought about a roadstar or a strat but I really wanted a Heritage so I bought a 2012 and never looked back. I have found the Heritage is about 100lbs heavier than the 950 but handles like it is 100lbs lighter and is better balanced than the 950. I also appreciate the fact that what plastic on the 950 is metal on my Heritage, and the Heritage is all about quality. My yamaha was a decent bike, but my Harley is a great bike and I am thankful that I, too like the others have stated took the leap and bought the Harley because I know I would have regretted any other brand. I do love my Harley!!
mark313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Outsider

Half_crazy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark313 View Post
My Yamaha was a decent bike, but my Harley is a great bike
Mark,
To be fair, the V-Star 950 is a cheap, entry level, starter bike. You are comparing a $9,000 motorcycle to an $18,000 motorcycle. So the $18,000 bike is built better? I would hope so... Like comparing a Yugo to a Volvo.
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.
Half_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #28 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think because you are on a Harley forum your looking for that little push,what are the boys on the Yamaha forums saying let me guess.Since I have been riding Harleys since 1962 and know them inside and out can only give one educated answer.HD
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

ultraplusrotax wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I do think the Harley is the way to go!
Anyone trying to argue must know that GeorgeC is not interested in H-D. He is just putting oil on the fire .
Goodbye GeorgeC , make a comeback when you have a driverslicence.
ultraplusrotax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

RKC-Charlie wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree , you are likely are smack on with this comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement