Looking for advice from yankees : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

IrishStash wants to know Dino or Syn?
Looking for advice from yankees

I tried posting this question in the "appropriate" (see obscure/ignored Northeast) forum and got no response. So I am hoping someone can give me a word of advice. A couple buddies and I are planning a trip to Laconia this year and are planning on camping (in the north east they call it "tenting"). From our research looks like we will be shooting for reservations at the Pine Hollow Campground, interested in feedback if this is a good choice, or if there are better options. Looking for something close to events, comfortable and at a decent price. None of us have ever been to Laconia so any input is welcome.
IrishStash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I saw your previous post. But, can offer no recommendations. I happen to live about 45 minutes away from Laconia, so I just go there and then go home...a couple times that week.
Connect with the Laconia or Meredith Chambers of Commerce. They have a lot of good info to help plan for a bike week vacation.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

huskerbob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Irish,

Google is your friend

http://www.laconiamcweek.com/Lodging-and-Camping/

don't cost nuttin'
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

I've been to the website, scoured the lodging/camping link. Was just looking for some first hand feedback, only so much google can tell me.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishStash View Post
I've been to the website, scoured the lodging/camping link. Was just looking for some first hand feedback, only so much google can tell me.
understood...............hope you find something good. i don't blame you for not wanting any 'surprises'!!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Yeah, so far it looks like Pine Hollow will be our choice, but I was hoping someone could give me info like "yes they welcome obnoxious drunk Irishmen" or "they have a special hanging tree for drunks with big red mustaches"
Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
"drunk Irishmen"
isn't that redundant???
Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
My buddy and I went to Americade and he proceeded on to Laconia solo. Said it was a great rally and was so up on it I want to hit it next year. I'll try to get him to post up on where to stay.
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Are you looking for a spot where they won't bust yer chops for good ole drunkin debauchery? I haven't missed a Laconia since like 86 and for a good 10-12 years , b4 I got older and civilized and wanted a bed n shower , I camped (never heard it called tentinng ) behind the race track over in Louden.To say that spot was drunkin biker friendly is an understatement. It was an anything goes situation. If your interested in watching the races it's perfect
It is prolly 45ish minutes to Weirs Beach though which is ground zero for the rally. I've heard from friends that they've kinda worked towards making it a little more civilized back there since I used to camp there but that could be a good thing depending on your point of view. I've also heard good things bout camping at Gunstock MT, again, not right down at the Weirs but they have the hillclimbs there every year, I think on Wednesday if I remember right
Of course there's all kinds o camping spots closer to the Weirs but then you have more traffic n cops n such to deal with.

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

nmaineron wants to know Dino or Syn?
I`ll second the track camping.It certainly was crazy but that is back when the show was at the track.I would think that camping there is still allowed seeing how the RV world needs a place to plant their rigs.You wouldn't be so tangled up in traffic there and there is some really good riding.Personally I would rather be away from Weirs and go in when I felt like it.
nmaineron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I googled that campsite as it sounded familiar. It had a picture of the entrance.

Good news:

I have stayed there for a Laconia Weekend so I can give you some first hand feedback.

Bad news:

oh, crap...that must have been 25 years ago.

I came with a club and we stayed in a field area, however they had some nice camp sites further back. Don't recall anything bad about the facilities, but I am not picky. Don't recall any issues with the staff tolerating hoards of drunken bikers (however the "club" I was with was mostly sober except for a few of us). But again that was 25 years ago, things may have changed. However, being bike week, I would think most facilities are prepared for and tolerate hoards of drunken bikers. Just try to keep that "Irish thing" in check cause we all hate the Irish up here... Ok, seriously you think there could be a problem being Irish up here? Have you had issues? perhaps it wasn't the "Irish thing"

I thought the location was good, nice ride down to Weirs beach and a good shot to the white mountains. If you are there to see the races, than you are on the other side.

rkc
Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks For feedback

Thanks for the feedback guys, this is exactly the kind of help I was looking for. Never knew there was camping at the track, or there was a track. This will be the first big bike week I have been to, just sounded like fun. So any other tips you got up your sleeve I'm all ears. Where to go, what to see, what to miss.

Street G- I never heard it called tenting either, till I moved from TN to NY, come to think of it the only people that call it tenting that I know are from upstate NY? I guess it is a way to distinguish between sleeping in a tent vs an camper or rv?

RKC-I never had any problems from anyone anywhere due to being Irish, I am really several generations off from the boat. But between the beer guzzling, and the red mustache/beard I live up to the stereotype. I was actually thrilled when I moved Western MA and learned that the number of people of Irish ancestry is greater in the greater Boston area than in Ireland. Also hope your finger is feeling better.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
One year a bunch of went out through Ossipee NH end of week headed for the beach bad news bumper to bumper for near 10 miles.Coming up from down south you should be Okay.
East Longmeadow, Ma is not that far south should be a good ride.
Whizzer motorbike

Last edited by dog155; 11-29-2012 at 08:05 PM.
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, this is exactly the kind of help I was looking for. Never knew there was camping at the track, or there was a track. .
Lots o folks don't realize it but the whole Laconia thing was originally about the races. Pretty sure it's the oldest motorcycle racing event in the country. They rebuilt the old track a while back and put in a world class facility. They have NASCAR up their a couple times a year too. Maybe more, I don't really follow it

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.