screaming eagle plugs - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
You can't beat perfect. I've run the regular plugs for the last 10 years and my bikes run perfect all the time. Why spend more. Repeat after me. Perfect.
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie56 View Post
You can't beat perfect. I've run the regular plugs for the last 10 years and my bikes run perfect all the time. Why spend more. Repeat after me. Perfect.
very well said. I have to agree. This is my first Harley, but with all the Japanese bikes I've owed over the past decades, a version of the same goes. Put the correct NGK plug in and ride it like you stole it. They run "Perfect" like that.

Last edited by Rendell; 11-28-2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Had to spell out Japanese, *** must be a cus word.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bugkiller70 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrock View Post
Just because the box states its preset to .035 doesn't mean they actually are. I very rarely get a set of plugs that are in their pre-gapped state. So double check with a good gapping tool before install.

If your talking about a diff in performance depending on the gap, I don't see how. If your talking about a diff in performance based on indexing, I also don't see how. Both are controlled by the laws of physics.

You won't see a performance difference with SE plugs over standard. Only difference will be in your wallet. I've used Autolite spark plugs in my bike for over 50k miles without issues. A lot cheaper, and better quality then HD's.

I seriously doubt a 60 mile difference in milage was caused by changing your spark plugs. That would be a 50% improvement. Or 24 mpg before the SE plugs and 36 mpg with the SE plugs (with a 5 gallon tank). More then likely your old plugs were just shot or you aren't drag racing from stop light to stop light as much anymore. Just sayin'...
Call it what you will my wallet disagree's with you period it is what it is. My last plugs had 4000 miles on them. And I don't drag race anywhere.

The reason the plugs are gapped to a certain spec is because the heat range for optimum performance for that motor set up. That could be the reason your not getting the mileage.

I was the engine builder for a camel pro flat track racer and you might be surprised what kind of work goes into spark plug correctness if you will. IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
bugkiller70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo1 View Post
I am changing screaming eagle plugs on my hi compression motor. (#32186-10). I was told to gap them @ 040. however the box stated they were preset @ 035 for that particular part number, Other than the difference of 005, what would be the difference performance wise?
This could be an interesting thread, kind of like the oil threads, to see what reasons people have for making the decisions they do.

I have a couple of curious questions.

WHO told you to gap them at 040? Is it someone whose advice you trust?

For plugs that come preset at a particular gap, does that mean they are intended to always stay at that gap or is that just a "default setting"?

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bugkiller70 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
This could be an interesting thread, kind of like the oil threads, to see what reasons people have for making the decisions they do.

I have a couple of curious questions.

WHO told you to gap them at 040? Is it someone whose advice you trust?

For plugs that come preset at a particular gap, does that mean they are intended to always stay at that gap or is that just a "default setting"?
G MAN pretty sure it is a default setting. Even if your motor is suppose to be set at .035 and the box of the new plug says .035 gaped from the factory its still a good idea to double check them.

The wider the gap the more "force" the coil has to put out to "close" the gap. The smaller the gap the coil doesn't have to work as hard. Also this would be for stock coils.

Now the 64 thousand dollar question is "will the other plugs work?" Of course they will and as stated before perfect. I just choose the SE plugs. Yes they do cost more but I'm willing to pay the extra. Just MY personal choice.
bugkiller70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

jgc89 wants to know Dino or Syn?
they seem to burn cleaner and last longer. i have run other plugs but i like the se
jgc89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

Gaff wants to know Dino or Syn?
SE plugs are NGK's.
There is alot to say about plugs, gapping, indexing and much more, but waiste of breath on here.

But it's interesting if you mention plug wires, oh wait a minute thats a whole different story, bahahahahaha.
Grow up....
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
FNG :)

gomiller2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
got a 99 road king i use champions from advance auto 1.99 each gap at 40 runs best there at that price i can change them 3 times a year for 6 bucks .
gomiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomiller2 View Post
got a 99 road king i use champions from advance auto 1.99 each gap at 40 runs best there at that price i can change them 3 times a year for 6 bucks .
Do you only change one at a time?

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

Tynker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohead1 View Post
My opinion is that your wasting money on the name for these plugs. Im sure the Mothership gets them from another brand company. I have used NGK and others with the platinum or irridium centers and have had no issues....they burn well, last a long time

All Harley plugs are made by Champion.
Tynker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #26 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

Quote:
I am changing screaming eagle plugs on my hi compression motor. (#32186-10). I was told to gap them @ 040. however the box stated they were preset @ 035 for that particular part number, Other than the difference of 005, what would be the difference performance wise?
Quote:
how critical is indexing when installing plugs. is performance affected.
Due to my own ignorance, I did a little research about this stuff and found:

As a rule of thumb, higher compression engines may want a larger gap. Smaller gaps can lead to preignition. Too large of a gap can lead to mis-firing. I would guess the reason would be that the larger the gap, the more charge must build up to jump the gap (i.e. fires slightly later) but if the gap gets too big, the spark may not jump. Likewise, upgrading the ignition to higher output will allow the spark to jump the larger gap. So this is why a higher compression engine should include a higher output ignition system.

As far as performance, indexing will produce a negligible difference in an engine that produces less than 200 HP. To even get the slight, unnoticeable gain you would need to do quite a bit of dyno testing and experimenting to determine where to index to (pointing toward intake or exhaust valve) since the results can vary between different engines.

It seems the main benefit of the SE plugs is due to the fine core electrode and V ground. The theory is that there is less restriction to the flame front and less buildup of carbon allowed due to the decreased surface area. This would theoretically increase the life of the plug and discourage fouling. Is it enough to justify the cost?

Nightrider's web site has some good info on this subject.

I think the answers to your questions may be that you want to stay closer to the .040 gap with your high compression engine and don't expect any real performance gains by using SE plugs or by indexing. The SE might give you a longer usable life on the plugs.

Sometimes the best way to "gain" is just to avoid losses.

Indexing:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...s_indexing.htm

Plug gap recommendations:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdsparkplugs01.htm

Guidelines for fine tuning gap:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/t...k_plug_gap.htm

Old 11-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Fred1369 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I was going to get iridium plugs just so I could brag on them but then I found out they were about $12 each.

Seek the truth. Only then will justice and mercy be yours. Do not make religion your trade nor piety a profession.
Fred1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

RKC-Charlie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Harley states 38-43 gap (40 is my gap) and torque that plugs to 12 to 18 foot pounds (15 foot pounds). Where did this 35 gap come from?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
Premium Member

High Torque wants to know Dino or Syn?
Indexing was generally done on high compression engines to keep the ground electrode from kissing the piston, not to point it towards the incoming fuel/air mixture.
High Torque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

rayo1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have se hi performance plugs. The box said gap at 035. hd mechanic said gap at 038 another said gap at 032. what experience suggestions would anyone have? Is the 032 too small a gap. 124hp/127tq
rayo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.