How many miles is too many? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

NHFree1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Buddy of mine had about 100k on his. Still ran good but needed a stator then couldn't stop at just that. When he got into it, he decided on dropping in a used Rev-tech with about 4k miles on it.

When was the last time you saw someone junk a Harley just because it had a lot of miles or something broke? I don't think that happens. Seems we can buy EVERY part for most models in a catalog or online to keep them rolling strong.

"To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will." Ronald Reagan
NHFree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ucbruce wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had 78,000 on my '05 Ultra and almost 33K on my Dyna Lowrider when I traded them in on my 2011 FLHTK. Plenty of life left in both bikes, I just wanted a newer bagger. Harley has made so many improvements since 2009 I just had to have one. I don't think it's so much how long they will last, because with proper maintenance and a good honest mechanic, they will last a long time. Much longer than they used to and without a puddle of oil on your garage floor. A lot of folks just want to take advantage of the newer technology, and quite frankly you can't even compare my '05 Ultra Classic TC88 to the '11 FLHTK TC103, as they are completely different bikes in so many ways. Now that I've upgraded to the Stage IV kit I don't EVER want to hear anybody knock Harley again. I've got it all now, the complete package, perfect for a day in the mountains or riding cross country! And made in America!!!

2011 FLHTK
SE 103 Stage IV Upgrade
SE Pro Super Tuner
SE Heavy Breather
Yellow Band High Flow Injectors
V&H Power Duals
Rush Slip-ons

Last edited by ucbruce; 11-17-2012 at 10:20 PM.
ucbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

RKC-Charlie wants to know Dino or Syn?
I solidly agree with ucbruce post, the newer bikes are much improved.
His comment: you can't even compare my '05 Ultra Classic TC88 to the '11 FLHTK TC103- is smack on the money.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
FNG :)

RaSh wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
My 92 evo is still running strong with 104,000 miles on it.. I had a compression test recently and it came out close to perfect, almost like a new bike. I expect the engine to go 150,000 miles at least before needing any engine work. The bike has had the proper maintenance since it was new. Oil has been changed about every 2,500 miles.
Michael,
What do you consider "Close to perfect" on your EVO?

I now have just over 60k on a previously owned 1989 EVO.

I now know that at 125 PSI for both cylinders, mine is O.K., but on the low side. I'm debating when to rebuild, don't want to do so unnecessarily soon, but likewise do not want to wait too long either.
RaSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSh View Post
Michael,

I now know that at 125 PSI for both cylinders, mine is O.K., but on the low side. I'm debating when to rebuild, don't want to do so unnecessarily soon, but likewise do not want to wait too long either.
The results of my compression test at 104,000 miles was "Leakdown F4% R8% Compression F140 R140". They told me that was close to perfect.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #21 (permalink)

boss hoss bill wants to know Dino or Syn?
how many miles is too many

I just sold my 87 FXLRC with 42K, I figured it was halfway headed to 100K, which is my feeling of too much.
I know many more miles are possible, that's just my personal feeling.
boss hoss bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Michael,

125 is low?? Are you sure?

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #23 (permalink)

RaSh wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
125 is low?? Are you sure?

joe
Last year when I first got the bike I thought 8.5:1 compression, x 14.7 PSI atmospheric pressure at Sea level approximately = 125PSI , GREAT!!!!!!!!
But have since been advised that due to cam/timing overlaps, etc, that the numbers that Michael reported are more normal, and that 125PSI indicates some wear.

However it's just low on the acceptable range, but not yet a real concern.

My bike starts, runs, and behaves just fine. No real big complaints at all. It's smooth, seems to keep up with the newer bikes, get's reasonable MPG, etc.

But there are other SMALL issues and concerns that need attention, and I'm of two minds on the subject.
There are times that my thinking is that "while it's apart I might as well....."
And other times that I fall back on my "If it ain't broke" mind set, and believe that I should just clean up these small issues and wait.

But maybe a compression boost with new pistons and rings, a well behaved cam, Port Flow the heads with a rebuild.........

You get the idea.

In all honesty I am having a lot of trouble weighing this one out.
And in the meantime, while it's getting cold, and at night pretty foggy at times, I am still riding, so nothing is going to happen soon anyway.

And Michael, thanks for the real world numbers, much appreciated.
RaSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
20 or 30 years ago I and all of my buddys were all poor and broke from all the partying and non-stop riding we did so we all rode used bikes. We routinely would get a couple six packs, pull the jugs, ball hone/deglaze the cylinders, throw in a set of rings and be riding the same night. Every time we did it the compression came right up to new specs and we put tons of miles on our bikes. Our operative saying was "parts is parts". 650 Yams, 1100 Yams,Triumphs, 900 Kaws, 750 Hondas, and yes, Snortsters. All it ever cost was a set of top end gaskets and a few bucks for rings and we never had one bike burn oil after. A lot of people on the forums are motorcycle fanatics and nothing wrong with that but few have EVER held a set of rings or bearings in their own hands. They have no problems spending your money because they don't have to put in the labor to earn it. The real truth is you can find someone to "throw a set of rings in it" because Harleys, especially Evos, are stone simple to work on, and parts are cheap. Plus you get the benefit of upgraded base gaskets and maybe a thinner head gasket. I personally know a guy who did this to a 30 year old 84? heritage and put it on a mobile dyno that night and pulled 69 horsepower out of his 100,000 mile stone stock motor with just a K&N airfilter and a drilled out baffles. They were only good for mid fifties new! His "secret"? He tops off his oil with STP LOL. If you're not burning oil and fouling plugs you can probably get off cheap.
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Last year when I first got the bike I thought 8.5:1 compression, x 14.7 PSI atmospheric pressure at Sea level approximately = 125PSI , GREAT!!!!!!!!
But have since been advised that due to cam/timing overlaps, etc, that the numbers that Michael reported are more normal, and that 125PSI indicates some wear.

However it's just low on the acceptable range, but not yet a real concern.

My bike starts, runs, and behaves just fine. No real big complaints at all. It's smooth, seems to keep up with the newer bikes, get's reasonable MPG, etc.

But there are other SMALL issues and concerns that need attention, and I'm of two minds on the subject.
There are times that my thinking is that "while it's apart I might as well....."
And other times that I fall back on my "If it ain't broke" mind set, and believe that I should just clean up these small issues and wait.

But maybe a compression boost with new pistons and rings, a well behaved cam, Port Flow the heads with a rebuild.........

You get the idea.

In all honesty I am having a lot of trouble weighing this one out.
And in the meantime, while it's getting cold, and at night pretty foggy at times, I am still riding, so nothing is going to happen soon anyway.

It's been a looong time since I was tearing motors down, and those were Chevy, but that number was a shocker to me. I think the Puddle Pirate (Coastie) has the right take on it. Wish I could be more help.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #26 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
This is good question we have all asked on our trucks, snowmobiles, ect. At what point do you not feel comfortable voyaging out by yourself.

I sorta go on feel, when I get sick of fixing it, I go out less, and start thinking about a new machine.

I have thought about taking 5k and replacing, stator, volt reg, clutch, ect, you could have new bike. But who is going to spend 5k out of now where.

I have piecemealed replaced parts that were working, if I had it apart, or was chasing some problem.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
You are quite welcome. Glad I could help.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

wodensworn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie56 View Post
20 or 30 years ago I and all of my buddys were all poor and broke from all the partying and non-stop riding we did so we all rode used bikes. We routinely would get a couple six packs, pull the jugs, ball hone/deglaze the cylinders, throw in a set of rings and be riding the same night. Every time we did it the compression came right up to new specs and we put tons of miles on our bikes. Our operative saying was "parts is parts". 650 Yams, 1100 Yams,Triumphs, 900 Kaws, 750 Hondas, and yes, Snortsters. All it ever cost was a set of top end gaskets and a few bucks for rings and we never had one bike burn oil after. A lot of people on the forums are motorcycle fanatics and nothing wrong with that but few have EVER held a set of rings or bearings in their own hands. They have no problems spending your money because they don't have to put in the labor to earn it. The real truth is you can find someone to "throw a set of rings in it" because Harleys, especially Evos, are stone simple to work on, and parts are cheap. Plus you get the benefit of upgraded base gaskets and maybe a thinner head gasket. I personally know a guy who did this to a 30 year old 84? heritage and put it on a mobile dyno that night and pulled 69 horsepower out of his 100,000 mile stone stock motor with just a K&N airfilter and a drilled out baffles. They were only good for mid fifties new! His "secret"? He tops off his oil with STP LOL. If you're not burning oil and fouling plugs you can probably get off cheap.

Who in the hell says they were only good into the mid fifties new?

My 97 road king has 84000+ right now. I have never been onto the top end past a manifold/carbuerator change to an s&s job 30000 miles ago.
wodensworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #29 (permalink)

brofactor wants to know Dino or Syn?
Miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijack22 View Post
How many miles can you put on a bike before it just gives up?

I've heard the 75,000 is alot is that true?
I have 93000 on my 1990 flhtcu . It have it's little quirks but with proper oil changes and yearly maintenance I hope to get a few more years out of it.
brofactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #30 (permalink)
BigMo

Mohead1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
None of em........
Advertisement