Does anybody use their CB Radio? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

forace2009 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Does anybody use their CB Radio?

I have a 2009 Ultra Classic and a friend just bought a 2012 ultra classic. I have tried to use the CB and now want to so we can talk as we ride on our trips. Should our radios work pretty good or do they need to be tuned? So far I cannot get anyone to answer me if I hear them talking. What do we need to do to get them to work as well as possible? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
forace2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

vindex1963 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I've tried mine and have never heard a thing even channel 19 out on the highway.

Please vote for Ride of the Month

Have a question about the site look here.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 Ultra
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by forace2009 View Post
I have a 2009 Ultra Classic and a friend just bought a 2012 ultra classic. I have tried to use the CB and now want to so we can talk as we ride on our trips. Should our radios work pretty good or do they need to be tuned? So far I cannot get anyone to answer me if I hear them talking. What do we need to do to get them to work as well as possible? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
They are only good for line of sight and about 1/4 mile. Ground plane being ultra small is one of the reasons.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Once or twice a year maybe
Old 11-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

1rusty1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mine works fine within range. Just need to pick a channel.
1rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
I use mine all the time. I used to drive a truck,so I can talk the talk with the drivers on #19. they just call me driver and I let them LOL. a lot of fun in the right situation.
I have ran with the trucks at night when doing IBA rides or just a hard ride. on a good night I can get out decent 3-4 miles ,and receive way farther than I can transmit. the big riggers have some serious amplifiers ,that makes it easy to hear. if you know what your listing to and how to use the squelch,you can listen for quite a ways.I usually find a big radio driver going the same way and get a good back door ,even when I cant get back to him I can hear him if somin is slipping in behind me.
Durwood and I rode to the dragon and back ,we were talkin a couple miles away from each other at times. when the "skip" wasent in.
where you at guydoc??? moannnnn back..... you got a copy on stroker ?
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ibc
IronButt

Ibc wants to know Dino or Syn?
I use mine occasionally. One thing I did was to tune my antenna. I hooked it up to a tuner, and to get the best signal, I had to loosen up the allen lock screw, and raise my antenna rod about 1/16'.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
I use mine all the time. I used to drive a truck,so I can talk the talk with the drivers on #19. they just call me driver and I let them LOL. a lot of fun in the right situation.
I have ran with the trucks at night when doing IBA rides or just a hard ride. on a good night I can get out decent 3-4 miles ,and receive way farther than I can transmit. the big riggers have some serious amplifiers ,that makes it easy to hear. if you know what your listing to and how to use the squelch,you can listen for quite a ways.I usually find a big radio driver going the same way and get a good back door ,even when I cant get back to him I can hear him if somin is slipping in behind me.
Durwood and I rode to the dragon and back ,we were talkin a couple miles away from each other at times. when the "skip" wasent in.
where you at guydoc??? moannnnn back..... you got a copy on stroker ?
I wouldn't have thought they'd talk that far. Not bad.

As far as antenna tuning goes, do it guys. Any CB shop can do that for you in minutes.

And those stubby or hidden antennas will kill your range.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I use mine somewhat often. I am not much on talking but like to be able to let others know what is going on or let the leader know if I need to stop for one reason or another.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

forace2009 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the replys

Thanks for the replies. Will work on mine asap. I am putting on quick detach trunk on mine right now so I am probably gone to hurt it even more with the extra coax used to put ant down lower when trunk is off. Just have to see.
Anyone have detach trunk and use cb? Im sure range is even less like this.
forace2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

bill corkey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Used to use mine a lot for bike to bike com when i rode with the Raleigh NC Hog in the 90's.
Not much since then.
2006 sportster roadster
bill corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

alexlivetoride wants to know Dino or Syn?
It's year 2012, bluetooth technology lol.
I have been using Sena for a while, great product, I can talk to passenger and a few riders while I am riding. Crystal voice, I can even talk at hwy speed.
http://wingstuff.com/products/32906-...?sitesync=done
Old 11-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlivetoride View Post
It's year 2012, bluetooth technology lol.
I have been using Sena for a while, great product, I can talk to passenger and a few riders while I am riding. Crystal voice, I can even talk at hwy speed.
http://wingstuff.com/products/32906-...?sitesync=done
But you can't hear where the bears are.
Or that there is a back up , the road is closed.
I don't know how many times the c.b has kept me out of a backup.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Iron Butt

DAKSY wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I ride with the local HOG chapter, we generally ride with at LEAST 2 baggers tuned to Channel 18, sometime 4 or more. If we've got more than 20 bikes we'll split up & make sure there are at least two in each group. We try to keep the Squelch at about 3 & that seems to work well for us...YMMV

14 Limited Charcoal Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
PGR # 492
PGRNY-5 Ride Captain

DAKSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

laserp wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
I can hear it now... comonnn stroker... wait up!
02 FLSTCI 117, Darkhorsed, Baisley Pro-Street Heads & corrected geo. roller rockers, Axtell kit 20 deg. rev. dome pistons 11.5:1, HPI 55/58mm MaxFlow tb, Tman TR-662-2 & 3 stage pump, Boarzilla, Barnett Scorpion clutch, Jag 10 row oil cooler, tuned w/ Twin Scan II+/WEGO IIID

10 Ultra Limited 103, Andrews 54 cam, SEAC mod breather, Bigboyz ported heads @10.2 comp, Jackpot 2-1-2 header and Dyno tuned muffs, TTS, tuned w/ Twin Scan II+/WEGO IIID
laserp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement