upstate NY : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

coronetracer65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
upstate NY

Planning a ride the end of May through the Adirondacks and on to Maine . Does anyone have any input or suggestions about this ride , ( weather , routes , traffic , etc. ) . Starting in Indiana ! Thanks
coronetracer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
From the Adirondacks through Maine there are four seasons, winter, winter, winter and construction. May will be just about be the beginning of the construction season. There may be some cold nights and days, but it should be a nice ride, particularly in the later parts of May. If you stay off the Interstates, just about any route you choose will take you through beautiful green areas that contain a lot of pre Revolutionary War houses, churches, etc.. Traffic should not be an issue. My suggestion, look at a map before in case there are particular places you want to visit and then just head east on any road that looks interesting to you. Eventually you'll find up in Maine.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Route 9 route 9N, route 8,route 73 and 74 are some nice riding, you can kind of link them together and go back and forth over the lower mountains... done it 100s of times, some of the best riding in the country, I would be more inclined to do it in June or July tho.
I have also done it in the fall, that is great riding as well.

Route 22 between Whitehall and Ticonderoga
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...wrestarea2.jpg

off of route 9N near Elisabethtown
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...litrock001.jpg

Near Mineville
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...ondRoad004.jpg

View of lake George just below Silver Bay
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture003.jpg

Puts Pond (Chilson)
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r..._b4/ride08.jpg

Last edited by Nitram_b4; 11-11-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

nmaineron wants to know Dino or Syn?
Coming from Maine and going south and west...New England offers great riding,I always enjoyed Eastern NY coming through some of the routes Nitram had to offer.I liked the Lake Placid area in NY coming east through to Vermont via ferry or up around the lake.However the Hudson Valley into western Conn. and Mass. offer some great rides also.If you plan late May into early June,Laconia NH could be a good destination.It is great riding however you choose.Enjoy...
Ron
nmaineron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

DueceDog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Any of the above routes and suggestion are right on the mark. If you do nothing else, bring rain gear. LOL It's quite possible you'll hit some. All three times that I've been to Laconia it's rained the whole weekend.

The riding is fantastic, you'll enjoy it.

Vietnam Vet
PGR rider
DueceDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
WideGlide Rider

Scotykid wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with all above. Make your way up 9N along LG or get a little south and head north up the east side of LG through VT., equally great riding country. Or up 9N and get to the other side of the Lake at ferry or bridge(if its finished yet). Prepare for wet weather. Rain comes over mountains quite unexpectedly... unless you expect it.

Sometimes there's Justice...
and sometimes, there's Just Us!
Scotykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

fourhour wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lake George and the Adirondacks area is an annual must for me. And 105 across the top of Vermont to New Hampshire, then south to Lincoln to pick up the Kangamangus Highway to North Conway, leaving you with many choices into Maine.

There is nothing going on in Lake George until July 4th so you wont miss anything if you stay north through the Adirondacks. Another choice is the 1000 Islands area north of Ft Drum for an overnight stay before heading through to Adirondack lakes.
"Let the world know you as you are, not as you think you should be, because sooner or later, if you are posing, you will forget the pose, and then where are you?" - Fanny Brice, American actress and singer (1891-1951)
fourhour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Spent a few weekends in the white Mts on labor day. It can still get pretty chilly but the traffic is usually light.

Myself, I am not a fan of rt 9 across VT, too "highwayish" for me (4 lane rd).

I would say come into MA on rt 2 (ride up mt greylock), then take rt 2 to 112N to VT and then take rt 100 to rt 4 west to rt 118 which takes you to rt 112 in NH. I have not done rt 4, not sure how busy white river junction would be. Then 302 into ME. Not sure where in ME you are going, Bar Harbor?

rkc
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

coronetracer65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the many responses , you guys are super ! If it was totally up to me I would rather do a July or August . I used to live in Rhode Island and from experience I think May will be iffy in the weather department. My wife and I are in our mid to late 60's and I don't like being cold or wet for very long ! LOL
coronetracer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

brassman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Head up adirondaks to placid to port kent and grab the ferry to Burlington VT. The boat ride is amazing to V.T then hit Ben & Jerry's for a tour and ice cream. Also Cabot cheese is there too for a nice tour and tasting......... Food and fun on the bike in the summer head to N.H from there
brassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement