Too cold for a ride? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

BikerOptix wants to know Dino or Syn?
Too cold for a ride?

I'm thinking I need some good cold weather riding gear...anyone have any suggestions on some good gear?

Specializing in prescription and non-prescription sunglasses for bikers

Click to shop-------> www.bikeroptix.com
BikerOptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Harley's FXRG stuff is great.
RGRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Markk9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Gerbing heated gear is the way to go.

Retired Eagle Driver.............Long Live the Eagle.

Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Markk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
Gerbing heated gear is the way to go.
I agree. Go electric. The primary market for that kind of gear is snowmobilers. They are out in the coldest temps. It is real easy to stay WARM on a motorcycle with electric gear. And what a pleasure it is to ride in cold, clear weather warm to the bone.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
heated gloves,I have some oxo I got on sale...tall windsheild and lowers help tremendously,as well as hand shields,keep the wind off the fingers.I have those on both bikes.

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Thundermug wants to know Dino or Syn?
It really depends on what cold is to you, and what the temp AND humidity is where you are riding.

If you go with leather, get the thick leather that has a thinsulate liner, That includes jacket and chaps. The gloves should be gauntlets and wear thin cotton gloves inside them (absorbs any sweat) Make sure to treat the leather at least once per year with a good leather conditioner to avoid the leather drying out and allowing the wind to get thru the seams.
If you don't want that "new leather look, go rub them in the driveway and scruff them up...OR go out to a sand pit or something similar while wearing your leather, and start running and pretend you were tackled. Do that several times.....but keep them treated, even the cheap ones will last for years and years...but the heavier leather will last longer. It doesn't need to be stiff, but don't get it too supple either.

One thing to remember is, leather by itself is not warm. You need a liner for warmth.
If you live in a high humidity area, good luck...low humidity doesn't feel as cold. I.E. 60 degrees in Florida @90% humidity feels like 40 degrees in Michigan @ 50% humidity....I've been up north when they had 2 feet of snow and felt warmer than I do down here....

Back in the 80's in Atlanta, I had insulated coveralls, but only had short trips, down to around 40 degrees...and was miserable...Now I have some decent leather, and ride as low as 40 and feel not as miserable.....

If your bike can handle the heated gear, and your waqllet can handle heated gear, go for it. If you can justify the expense. Or if you are a rub and will only use it once every 3 or 4 years... However if your bike is your ONLY transportation and you need it? do it!

Last edited by Thundermug; 11-07-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Thundermug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

semw wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a full face helmet, Fox Creek Leather jacket and Chaps. When it gets into the 50's I install the liner in the jacket and chaps. In the 40's I use a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves with a heat controller. When it gets into the 30's I also use thermal bottoms and socks. I've also riden in the teens with that setup and had no problems.
If its raining I take the car.
semw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

RK05 wants to know Dino or Syn?
No heated gear although I would love to have some. I just layer my clothing and have been good to ride down into single digits. Of course I have to stop every so often to usually warm my hands but that's a given with no heated gear.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Wind wants to know Dino or Syn?
This might be the last weekend for a ride for me. Supposed to be mid to upper 60's here
Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

1egc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
I agree. Go electric. The primary market for that kind of gear is snowmobilers. They are out in the coldest temps. It is real easy to stay WARM on a motorcycle with electric gear. And what a pleasure it is to ride in cold, clear weather warm to the bone.
I agree, nothing like riding on a cold, clear day. Allthough I only use the Gerbing electric gloves and layer the rest and top off with leather. Lowers and a faring really help also.
1egc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

TaylorMcStrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermug View Post
If your bike can handle the heated gear, and your waqllet can handle heated gear, go for it. If you can justify the expense. Or if you are a rub and will only use it once every 3 or 4 years...:whistle: However if your bike is your ONLY transportation and you need it? do it!
I had the Harley dealer outfit me with the whole heated gear thing for my CVO. I don't ride very much (417 miles in two years), but if I feel like it, I can spend the time to put on the electrics and get out there for the 4 mile trip to the bar and back if it's below 65 degrees.

I was initially disappointed with the fit, so I had my tailor take in the sides of the jacket and flair out the pants a bit. Now it's much more flattering to my athletic figure. I also had him sew on a couple extra large Harley logos, so I could make my neighbors envious. Too bad you can't see them under my leather Harley jacket and chaps.

Once my CVO goes over 500 miles, I'll be looking to get a new one. Did I mention I have a CVO?
TaylorMcStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

semw wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK05 View Post
No heated gear although I would love to have some. I just layer my clothing and have been good to ride down into single digits. Of course I have to stop every so often to usually warm my hands but that's a given with no heated gear.
The nice thing about heated geat is that you can eliminate all the bulky layers and feel comfortable and warm on ice cold days. Having warm fingers will actually make you smile.
semw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

RK05 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by semw View Post
The nice thing about heated geat is that you can eliminate all the bulky layers and feel comfortable and warm on ice cold days. Having warm fingers will actually make you smile.
I totally agree but with only putting about 100 miles on my bike this year I can't justify the cost for a pair of heated gloves when I may only use them once this winter.

Maybe if I get a chance to ride more this winter I will break down and buy a pair.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
At around 30 degrees the heat vest and gloves go on .
When it gets colder other layers are added.
The rain suit really works well when it get down to single numbers it blocks out the wind and allows you to trap the heat.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

sportcruiser wants to know Dino or Syn?
Go electric if you want to go far... eventually the cold will siphon off your body heat without it.
sportcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement