Too cold for a ride? - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
IronButt

Richard001 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cold?

It has been in the 60's and 70's in Georgia for the last few weeks.
A light jacket and leather gloves works for me.
Richard001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #32 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
During my girling days used to ride an old Flathead it always started no matter the temp.Once after a night of romping in the hay rode 15 miles with just a Tshirt on under leather, frost covered everything,like to froze to death.
Another time same bike tried to ride bike home from work in a snow storm.Wrapped rope around tire and wheel to act as tire chains,it worked great.Stopping was another whole story ended up pulling a muscle in the groin area trying to keep the bike from falling over sliding with brakes on.So only rode after that on dry days,those things can happen when newly married and almost no money.
Whizzer motorbike

Last edited by dog155; 12-11-2012 at 07:40 AM.
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cold today but dry as a bone..Going for a ride later .

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #34 (permalink)
IronButt

brother wants to know Dino or Syn?
I also think wind protection means alot. Here in New Orleans it seldom gets below 40's ,so I just wear chaps and layer a few shirts with a leather shirt with a top coat. Also on a diffrent subject why would you own a motorcycle and put only 500 miles in 2 years?
brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #35 (permalink)
FNG :)

koko3052 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog155 View Post
During my girling days used to ride an old Flathead it always started no matter the temp.Once after a night of romping in the hay rode 15 miles with just a Tshirt on under leather, frost covered everything,like to froze to death.
Another time same bike tried to ride bike home from work in a snow storm.Wrapped rope around tire and wheel to act as tire chains,it worked great.Stopping was another whole story ended up pulling a muscle in the groin area trying to keep the bike from falling over sliding with brakes on.So only rode after that on dry days,those things can happen when newly married and almost no money.
AH! those good ol'days!
koko3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Blacklinebrett wants to know Dino or Syn?
Any thing under 50 sucks, but I'll do it if its sunny in 40's but not so much fun

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Blacklinebrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Real bikers don't need to stay warm, or so I've heard.
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding." -Louis D Brandeis
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #38 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog155 View Post
I hear ya! Had an old Kawasaki years ago and rode that thing no matter what the weather was. It saw it's fair share of snow and ice an yea, I pulled a groin muscle a couple of times, but never went down on it. Not so much worried about temps, but I certainly prefer dry roads these days. Looking back though I still had a good time getting around.
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding." -Louis D Brandeis
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
Premium Member

ed gray wants to know Dino or Syn?
I got on three buses and a train to ride my bike today and bring it back home to put it on a trickle charger. It was beautiful, sunny, and 47! Nothing else clears the mind fromall ills and maladies of work, family, and natural disaster than a wide open trottle. I was grinning for about four hours straight today. When I finally put it on the bike jack, and turned it around , pushing the car around behind it in the garage, I couldn't believe how cold I was. I hadn't noticed that at all while I was riding. I was amped up. Now, go out there and ride!
ed gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #40 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

talon0930 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I picked up a few pairs of flannel lined jeans from Old Navy, well worth it. I ride as often as I can even when it is cold, and they allow me to ride in the 30's without chaps. While your there, pick up their skull caps, the cheapo one size fits all ones, come in black blue grey, for @ 7 bucks, on sale they are like 3-4 bucks. Again, I wear only that on my head, and never have an issue with cold air, and I have a shaved head. Only bummer, their one size fits all seems to only fit small heads. Ok theres my .02.
talon0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #41 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Tourmaster insulated jacket and pants to go over my Gerbing electric liner. If it's really cold I can add a full face helmet. Really hesitated to spend the money on the gear but it's been a couple years and I don't even think about the cost now, just glad to be warm. Its hard to explain to someone without electrics but you can be 100% comfortable. I personally try not to ride at all below 40 degrees but only because of the black ice in Michigan and the lung issues. I have never needed electric gloves or grips but I may get the gloves some day. The jacket liner was 200 bucks. best money I ever spent and it is on the bike most of the time. Agree with the lined jeans, cheaper at Sportsmans Guide catalog. Fleece lined is better than flannel.
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #42 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

jsvt184 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've been using Carhartt coveralls and they work well but I think I'll save up for the Gerbings. Everyone seems to recommend them.
jsvt184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #43 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The electric liner is very thin so you can use it under the Carhart or any riding jacket. You'll be very warm before you hit the end of your driveway. Amazing technology. I also used to ride and hunt in a grey carhart coverall until the kid borrowed it. If I still had it I wouldn't have spent the bucks on the Tourmasters but the fact that they're waterproof so you don't have to pack rain gear makes em well worth it in the long run. My coat has a removable outer shell that converts it to a mesh coat for the summer and a removable inner liner for colder riding. Also it has "armor" that's removable. I am not sure if I've even worn my leather in the last year or so that I've had it. They make it in an all black LE version too that the motor cops buy.
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement