Too cold for a ride? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
FNG :)

JakePoppa wants to know Dino or Syn?
yes, it's too cold

...and I'm a wuss.
JakePoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

semw wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
At around 30 degrees the heat vest and gloves go on .
When it gets colder other layers are added.
The rain suit really works well when it get down to single numbers it blocks out the wind and allows you to trap the heat.
Riding single digits - wow, I'm impressed. Watch out for the black ice!
semw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I put on a set of Heat Demon heated grips recently. I haven't had a chance yet to get full benefits of the heated grips in real cold weather but the little I've been able to use them have been nice. I wonder why I didn't have them put on years ago.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by semw View Post
Riding single digits - wow, I'm impressed. Watch out for the black ice!
hate when I have to use feet for outriggers....worse in the snow.I don't ride in those conditions either!

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Ironworkers #86

Hillbilly2009 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Harley's FXRG with the electric gear and I,m fine. Would like to find those over the bar things that you slip your hand into. Other then that I get hot in just my jacket liner.
Hillbilly2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
FNG :)

panman69 wants to know Dino or Syn?
staying warm

the thing that really helps me is a leather bib sort of looking thing, it goes overmy nose and under my glasses, around my neck and under my jacket, it keeps the air off my neck, they have something like this that covers the head with holes for eyes but I have never tried one of these,however, I could not ride without something around my neck.
panman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly2009 View Post
Harley's FXRG with the electric gear and I,m fine. Would like to find those over the bar things that you slip your hand into. Other then that I get hot in just my jacket liner.
Don't forget about the possibility of heated grips.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Poser

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
My take:

Heated grips: Good for cool weather.

Heated gear: Good for cold weather.

My heat demons just don't heat up enough when it is very cold...maybe cause of the apes, don't know. I also had harley heated grips which did heat up better (when then worked).

I do like the heated grips for those nights when it cools off and you don't want to stop to get your gloves...

rkc
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

DK Custom wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've ridden for 40+ years by layering up. Last year I got a gerbing jacket liner.

Wow, what a difference. No more fighting the cold with layer after layer. Should have gotten this years ago.
DK Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

semw wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by panman69 View Post
the thing that really helps me is a leather bib sort of looking thing, it goes overmy nose and under my glasses, around my neck and under my jacket, it keeps the air off my neck, they have something like this that covers the head with holes for eyes but I have never tried one of these,however, I could not ride without something around my neck.
Full face helmet will keep you warm too, plus it'll block the bugs.
semw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #26 (permalink)

TXlandman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am currently on a work project in WY. The cold is not the only problem. It is that damn wind gusting up to 60 mph. I have all the electric heat stuff but that just wont stop the wind.
TXlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

Chart wants to know Dino or Syn?
x20 on the heated gear. You should be fine with just the jacket and the gloves. Keep your core warm, and you don't really need to heat your legs. BUT, as has been said, you have to keep the wind from exposed skin, especially your neck. Wear a wind proof neck gator that comes up over your chin and mouth, a full face helmet or a 3/4 with a face shield, and windproof outer pants and jacket. You'll probably want insulation for your legs, and to keep the wind from coming up your pants.

I rode three days in Canada in late October going from Detroit to New Brunswick, and then a few more heading south through Maine and New England, only stopping for the "Storm of the Century" last year. Had to let the snow plows do their work that one day. Any way, with heated jacket and gloves, only my feet finally got cold. So I bought cheep snowmobile boots, big bulky things filled with foam, and that fixed that.

Here's what worked for several days and a couple thousand miles of riding in the 30s: 3/4 helmet with face shield, neck gator from Cycle Gear, mesh riding coat with wind/rain liner, First Gear electric jacket, too small fleece jacket over it to hug the heated coat to my body, long sleeve wicking tee shirt. Heated gloves. Wicking long johns and underwear, non-cotton sweat pants, First Gear brand HT Over pants with quilted liner. These are mostly waterproof and wind proof, and worked great for this 12,000 mile 4Corners ride I was on. Unlined riding boots, replaced with warmer boots. And, I used the soft lowers on the front crash bars too. They were nice.

That's all I needed to be comfy for several days of 30s at highway speeds.

Two more points: Get a dual controller, as you'll want the gloves cranked, and the jacket at about 40%. And, some gloves, at least mine, don't have heat in the palms. So, consider heated grips if you need to.
Chart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

ultra103 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I ride down to 25* F, that's my mental cut-off. I use a ski mask, thick down coat, rechargeable heated ski gloves (worth every cent - no wires!) and throw on a pair of sweat pants over my jeans. The heated grips that came on the new bike are nice with the gloves too, but not needed.

Warm and toasty!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
My mental cut off is 40. but yeah Gerbing is the way to go.

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

spyglass wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think the biggest factor is the amount of wind protection your scooter itself offers. Do you have fairing, lowers, windshield only......?
spyglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement