Good Beginner Bike for Woman - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I'm looking for a Rebel myself at the right price for my daughter. I told her it isn't a good bike for the interstates, but a new rider has no business on those type roads anyway.
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
The obvious answer is a Sportster if you are dead-set on a Harley. You can find a nice used 883 for around 3-4 grand all day. If you could afford a Soft tail slim, that is another good low bike.

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

Flexin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just a suggestion, have her take the Safety Course to get an idea if she likes it. I've seen people walk away during or after taking the course deciding its not something they want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
FNG :)

ForgeThe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Beginner Bike

I think the older honda shodows or honda rebel are easy and cheap bikes to start with.
ForgeThe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrvp View Post
When customers come intot the shop and ask me what we have that is a good beginners bike I tell them nothing. I don't recommend anything Harley makes for a true beginner. (someone who's only riding experience is or will be the MSF beginners course) I recommend a used metric until they improve their skills and confidence levels. A few customers are offended but most appreciate the honesty and come back to me when they are ready for a Harley.

One thing I get a lot and don't like to see are women looking for Harleys because their husbands or boy friends insist if they ride they ride Harleys. I try to point out the dangers of riding a bike she is not comfortable or confident on. I let them know my job ios to sell them a Harley but I would prefer she purchase a bike she can handle until her skills and confidence are where they should be to ride an 883 or larger bike. Being in this business I see it too many times where a customer bought a Harley for their first bike and within a few weeks were injured because they were not ready for a big bike. A Rebel of 600 VLX are good beginners bikes for short riders. There are others for longer legged rider to choose from but I always recommend true beginners to get a metric in the 500cc -600cc range to learn on before moving up to a Harley.
All I am going to say is ... well stated & well worth the wisdom.
And we rolled...... clean out of sight

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I would almost always steer a new rider to a bike that is "too small" vs a big bike especially when they are of smaller stature. The basics are learned much easier on a small bike without having to muscle the larger bike when something doesn't go as planned. A Honda Rebel is a perfect bike for her to learn on.
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #22 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Some great advice on this thread. I have always agreed with getting the small cheap metric for beginners. Anyone that would disparage a new rider because they are learning on metric instead of a Harley is an idiot.

I had girlfriend drop her brand new 883 low in front of my house. I picked it up and walked it to the driveway. It felt heavy\top heavy and seemed like it would be difficult to steer with the narrow bars. Thus, I disagree with sporty's being a good first bike.

rkc
Old 11-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

Thundermug wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King Cole View Post
I had girlfriend drop her brand new 883 low in front of my house. I picked it up and walked it to the driveway. It felt heavy\top heavy and seemed like it would be difficult to steer with the narrow bars. Thus, I disagree with sporty's being a good first bike.

rkc
I've been saying this for years.
I have picked up a road king and a heritage, and they were easier to pick up than my sporty.

Anyhoo....as for a new rider? once they get their lowspeed manuvers learned and are comfortable (most riders never learn lowspeed manuevers) can get ANY bike they want. It doesn't matter if they are a man or a woman...It only takes a few short hours practicing ....and as for those manuvers? they can be learned on a bicycle....

Why waste money on a cheap metric?
I have seen grown men drag there feet at a stop light and need to duckwalk in a parking lot...and they have been riding 5 to 10 years.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
My wife's first street bike back in the mid 90's was a Kawasaki 454 LTD. It was perfect for her to learn to be street-wise and she loved it. Rode that thing along side my EGC on several long road trips to Canada and Montana.
After that she was ready for a Harley and she got an 883 Sporty that she rode all the way to Hollister and back. If there's one bike I wouldn't ride at 80 mph for 2900 miles its an '92 - 883 Sportster. She r-e-a-l-l-y wanted to ride.
Then I got her an '01 SuperGlide and she now has an '07 Heritage.
An obvious progression that worked well - she's a great rider, safe and aware of her surroundings. And she was never intimidated by any of her bikes.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

04ctd wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger View Post
... And she was never intimidated by any of her bikes.
she has to be TALL....

my wife is 5'0, and she HATED her sporster.
sporties are TOP HEAVY and TALL.

Twin Cams have that huge clutch cover, that gets HOT. on a TC, her leg will lay on the pipes or the primary cover.

this was the best bike my wife ever had:
yamaha 950

she quit her job to babysit Gkids is only reason to sell,
but she LOVES it.

pro's: NEW bike/frame (not ten year old technology)
fuel injection,
disc brakes.

cons: hard resell, cheaper buy old crappy 650 or 750
expensive parts: metric parts are NOT cheap.

FWIW, i would not hesitate to tell you to duplicate my bike for her.

sportsters are crap for girls.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ctd View Post
sportsters are crap for girls.

What ?! Blasphemy!!!!
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
[QUOTE=04ctd;2194208]she has to be TALL....

my wife is 5'0, and she HATED her sporster.
sporties are TOP HEAVY and TALL.

Nope - 5'4" from her head to the ground (as the song says).
I lowered her Sporter, SuperGlide, and Heritage so she could put both feet down flat.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

brother wants to know Dino or Syn?
A 250 yamaha vigaro is a perfect starter bike for someone that small. It's a V twin,light and will jip along and keep up with traffic and bigger bikes. You can also fine a older model 550 that's still not too heavy.
brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

TaylorMcStrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
She's 5' 0" and 110 lbs?

Maybe this.

TaylorMcStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #30 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMcStrat View Post
She's 5' 0" and 110 lbs?

Maybe this.

Those are nice bikes, but they vibrate like crazy unless you use synthetic in all three.
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement