Got Nailed - $458 Fine from Local Dealer - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

DueceDog wants to know Dino or Syn?
My local indy charges me right at $200 to replace my rear tire (Metzler). Drop the bike off in the morning and pick it up that night.

Vietnam Vet
PGR rider
DueceDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Iron Butt

Bronxhog wants to know Dino or Syn?
the dealer charges around 220-245 for a tire plus one hour labor(105) plus tax.

Indy charges 175 plus one hour labor(75)

Internet charges 140(no tax) for same tire but you have to find someone to mount it.(motorcycle superstore.com)
Bronxhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

hdrider82 wants to know Dino or Syn?
cost me about $450.00 for both at an indy shop.
Stuff
More stuff
hdrider82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

blubyubusa wants to know Dino or Syn?
Tire replacement

Not safe and other responses I am sure will follow this but I currently have two plugs in my rear tire, a Continental Race Attack on an 09 Vrod. All I did was pull the nail, and insert a plug, both times in my basement. I do not tour any, just a lot of local riding, to the tune of about five or six thousand a year. The plugs have held up for more than several thousand of those mile and those include several trips to the local eight mile drag strips. My local indy has plugs that pull thru from the inside that I would trust, of course I have had good luck with these. Best to everyone.
blubyubusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

Chart wants to know Dino or Syn?
A thread on a different forum dedicated to long distance riders asked about plug experiences, and all who posted, about 2 dozen or so, had good experiences using plugs for thousands and thousands of miles. Don't recall any who had bad experiences with plugs.

Only plug I've had was in a front truck tire, and it lasted tens of thousands of miles, FWIW.
Chart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
'07 Roid King

CheezyRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey Wizard,

What part of AZ?
Check the Wheel Store or Cycle Gear (hafta bring in the tire/ rim assembly @ CG).
I'm in Gilbert near Queen Creek. Got a jack and pretty much whatever we might need to pull the tire and rim.
Lemme know what you figure out.....

I don't care if you lick windows,
take the special bus
or sometimes pee on yourself....
you hang in there sunshine,
you're friggin' special!

CheezyRider
CheezyRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have also had good experiences with plugs ....
The one thing that I wouldn't do is to run a tube in your tire. If you get nailed again, you have a blow-out which is a different can of worms than a slow leak in a tubeless tire. Once the tube is punctured, the valve stem wants to come out of the rim. When I was a kid, I had a blow-out on the back of my worn out Indian ..... terrifying situation.

As others have said, remove your wheel and do your own work ..... it can be very satisfying ....
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

hungryeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sounds like you went to one of the "Ride Now" HD dealers, they are famous for bending the customer over.
hungryeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

tdlowrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubyubusa View Post
Not safe and other responses I am sure will follow this but I currently have two plugs in my rear tire, a Continental Race Attack on an 09 Vrod. All I did was pull the nail, and insert a plug, both times in my basement. I do not tour any, just a lot of local riding, to the tune of about five or six thousand a year. The plugs have held up for more than several thousand of those mile and those include several trips to the local eight mile drag strips. My local indy has plugs that pull thru from the inside that I would trust, of course I have had good luck with these. Best to everyone.
I agree, I had just bought a new rear tire and picked up a nail 2 years ago , Then took a 2200 mile trip to Maine. The plugs I used were shaped like a mushroom. Pushed in and pull back to seat. After 2 years, 10k still no issues. tdlr
tdlowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

The Wizard wants to know Dino or Syn?
Smile Got Nailed -

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezyRider View Post
Hey Wizard,

What part of AZ?
Check the Wheel Store or Cycle Gear (hafta bring in the tire/ rim assembly @ CG).
I'm in Gilbert near Queen Creek. Got a jack and pretty much whatever we might need to pull the tire and rim.
Lemme know what you figure out.....
Thanks for all of the responses and help.

HD in Chandler AZ = $458
HD in Mesa AZ = $305
Independent (HD Certified Techs) in Tempe AZ = $195

All for the exact same Dunlop 401 150/80HB16 Tire installed.

The choice was clear ... Live Fast Cycles in Tempe AZ ... It still had air so I rode it in and dropped the bike off this morning ... and got a free ride to work!!! It will be ready later today.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
JLH
FNG :)

JLH wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don't use the harly shop for anything but as parts chasers for that reason. I have seen a couple of guys pay over 2g to get tires, bearings, and a general service and tune up. I get the tire from an on line source usually on sale in mid winter for right around $100. Then take the wheel off and bring it to a small time privately owned cycle shop and have it mounted and balanced for 35bucks. Put some grease in the bearings while it is apart and away I go for another season. You need to get a jack and have very basic tools and common sense with mechanics.
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #27 (permalink)

whoof wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lesson learned eh? for tires:
https://www.denniskirk.com/harley-davidson/

http://www.americanmototire.com/ This is an Arizona company so you will have to pay sales tax

If you need an OEM part not available aftermarket : http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....mc.asp?Type=17
whoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

hungryeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
HD in Chandler IS Ride Now owned, I knew it, those thievin low lifes. Prices are up on everything now, just a few yrs ago I would never pay more than $200 for any pair of tires, I do install them myself but still...
hungryeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #29 (permalink)

gaspasser wants to know Dino or Syn?
is that even fookin possible????? i just replaced my rear tire...had it mounted at the suzuki dealer which is dying biz....the tire???? 95$ and the labor???? $40....boom done
gaspasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #30 (permalink)

gaspasser wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
I don't use the harly shop for anything but as parts chasers for that reason. I have seen a couple of guys pay over 2g to get tires, bearings, and a general service and tune up. I get the tire from an on line source usually on sale in mid winter for right around $100. Then take the wheel off and bring it to a small time privately owned cycle shop and have it mounted and balanced for 35bucks. Put some grease in the bearings while it is apart and away I go for another season. You need to get a jack and have very basic tools and common sense with mechanics.
had mine mounted balanced and they did the remove and replace for $40......and my finger nails are gorgeous lmao
gaspasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.