What's common regarding fuel gauge : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

perrypogue wants to know Dino or Syn?
What's common regarding fuel gauge

I think running out of gas is possibly the most stupid thing I could ever do....I haven't and don't want to...but Sunday I pushed my luck. The last town on my way home has one gas station and it was shut down for repairs. I was sitting on about the edge of the red mark and had 30 miles to go. The liow fuel light came on...then it started counting down from 25 miles. It was on 6 miles left when I reached the other filing station. BUT....it took only 3.7 gallons to fill it....my owners manual says my capacity is 4.7 gallons.

It appears to me that although the readout showed me almost out of gas, I actually had a gallon left.

Is it common for Harley to be that conservative with the guage setting?
perrypogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

High Torque wants to know Dino or Syn?
My light comes on anywhere between just under a 1/4 tank to just under 1/8th tank, depending on the time of day (just kidding). Makes no sense as it varies all the time. I set my trip odometer every fill and use it for reference when the light comes on as I know I can go 50km (30 miles) more.
High Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

perrypogue wants to know Dino or Syn?
Low Fuel

I have to force myself sometimes but I think it's good to get off the bike about hourly...so I think I'll just start topping off my fuel tank after it passes half.
perrypogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

HDSickness wants to know Dino or Syn?
My idiot light will come on with about 1 1/2 gallons remaining in tank.
HDSickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Geoff of NV wants to know Dino or Syn?
09 Ultra. When my idiot light comes on it takes somewhere between 4.5 to 4.9 gallons to fill the tank. With my 6 gallon tank I figure I'm guaranteed another 40 miles and yes, I always reset my trip meter at fill ups.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

alexlivetoride wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sometimes the idiot light comes on when the bike sit on an angle even you have enough gas, never reliable. I always go by odometer trip count, almost dead on every time.
alexlivetoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Although I have a gas gauge on my Ultra I rely more on the trip metmeter than on the gauge.
y low fuel ight is pretty consistant. When it comes on I have one gallon left so I know I am good for at least 40 miles. I pushed it one time to about 45 miles and it took 4.925 gasllons. I have an 07 with a 5 gallon tank so I had gone about as far as I could go.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Last edited by utrvp; 11-03-2012 at 12:52 PM.
utrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

fourhour wants to know Dino or Syn?
After my stock gauge quit I bought one of the pretty blue light upgrades that failed as well. I rely on my trip meter and at 175 miles or so I start to think about gas. Can go to 190+ and still put in just over 4 gallons. Other times it takes 4.5+ to fill. I think it has to do with atmospheric conditions.
"Let the world know you as you are, not as you think you should be, because sooner or later, if you are posing, you will forget the pose, and then where are you?" - Fanny Brice, American actress and singer (1891-1951)
fourhour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Lefty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
On my 2011 Road Glide I usually require five gallons to fill it when the miles to go reads 40 as the low fuel light comes on and the odo is between 200 and 220 depending on altitude, atmospheric conditions and wrist action. Pretty accurate and has been dead on consistent. Do I trust it? No, absolutely not. Being neurotic I usually fill up at about 150 miles, every other stop when traveling (no I'm not an iron butt).

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Last edited by Lefty; 11-03-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
On my 2011 Road Glide I usually require five gallons to fill it when the miles to go reads 40 as the low fuel light comes on and the odo is between 200 and 220 depending on altitude, atmospheric conditions and wrist action. Pretty accurate and has been dead on consistent. Do I trust it? No, absolutely not. Being neurotic I usually fill up at about 150 miles, every other stop when traveling (no I'm not an iron butt).

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Depends on where I am. Locally I am never far from gas so I can push it 200 more or less. If I am someplace like West Virginia I get gas at any stop at 125 miles or more. Out west like in Arizona or Texas about every 100 miles.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

brwk wants to know Dino or Syn?
The HD fuel gauge on the batwings only have 1 thing in common...they all fog up nicely.