what does dealer prep entail? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

Markk9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
When I buy a new bike or car, I stop the salesman when he tries to break down the price to me and tell me all the details on how it is structured. The only figure I want I tell him is the amount I need to write the check for to get the bike out of the dealership. I also ask him to include taxes, license, any transfer fees or anything else that might be included. (They seem to hate doing that). What I want to know is what the bike is really going to cost me. The rest is meaningless gibberish.
I'm the same way, just give the OTD price, that is all that matters to me. How they break it all down, I don't care about.

Retired Eagle Driver.............Long Live the Eagle.

Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Markk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

huskerbob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
the only fee that's more bogus than 'dealer setup' is 'doc prep'!

charging that is just like stealing.
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

cruzmisl wants to know Dino or Syn?
What is their rationale for doc prep
cruzmisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Live Free or Die

HiAngle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzmisl View Post
What is their rationale for doc prep
I suppose you're paying for two things--- the convenience of the dealership preparing and submitting paperwork to the DMV on your behalf and the specific DMV fees for the processing of that paperwork.

The King puts the balls where the Queen wants them.
HiAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

Ridewv wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree. The "document" fee is the most blatant attempt at screwing a customer. It can be anywhere from $50-$250 and is almost never disclosed until after the customer has negotiated the price of the vehicle. In the past I simply refused to pay a doc fee telling them "just give me the bike and the certificate of origin and I'll go to the DMV to pay the tax and do my own paper work". Our state now requires dealers to collect the tax at the point of sale so I'll see how it works out next time. No way I'd pay more than $25 for a $15 per hour secretary to do 20 minutes of paperwork though.

2009 FLHT
2004 FXDXI
2012 BMW R1200GSA
2006 Suzuki DR650
Ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fees, fees, fees - everyone stacks on the fees. No getting away from it unless we stop buying their products 'cause there's always those that'll lay down and only want to know that the OTD figure is so they can write the check and be done with it.
BTW: Ya, it's somewhat unrelated but ALL of wireless providers charge a $30-$50 fee just to sign their 2 year contracts.....fees, fees, fees.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

skitz43 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Prep

When i bought my 2008 FLHR i left HD & promptly hit the highway home. As i got off highway & slowed down i heard a rattle toward the front. Figured i pull over just in case it was important i could go back . YEP it was a rattle. My crash bar was not tightened up. I mean it was just put on , mabey finger tight. I made it home. Yeah it was all ready. Probably was lunch time & i came at the wrong time.
Cycle shack slip ons
K&N sucker
Smoke tail lite & signals
Custom made sissy bar
Avon Grips
Saddle bags
Custom cut windshield
skitz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
I understand the general public being skeptical of anything a dealership says.

Guys.... I wrenched in a dealership for 4 years. The bikes don't show up ready to roll onto the showroom floor. Some need more work than others.

They have to fit in a box. Models with taller handlebars are shipped with the bars swung down. They have to be adjusted. The hand controls as well. Most seats are not installed (no biggie, I know). On Electra Glide Standards and Ultras, the windshields are not installed, and the tour pak is installed in a more "forward" position, it has to be moved back.

I won't speak for all dealerships, but at the one I was at, we went over the bike pretty throughly. We checked the fuel levels and the belt tension. We took off the primary inspection covers and checked the primary chain and adjusted the clutch. Checked tire pressures. Took the bike for a ~10 mile ride, brought it back and insured no oil leaks (a few bad o-rings on crank position sensor were found this way). It was an easy hour or more of work.

Then the bike was washed/detailed. There was film/dirt in places.

Definitely not just rolled off the truck and into the showroom.

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitz43 View Post
When i bought my 2008 FLHR i left HD & promptly hit the highway home. As i got off highway & slowed down i heard a rattle toward the front. Figured i pull over just in case it was important i could go back . YEP it was a rattle. My crash bar was not tightened up. I mean it was just put on , mabey finger tight. I made it home. Yeah it was all ready. Probably was lunch time & i came at the wrong time.
All bikes that come standard with a crashbar, that is installed at the factory. That is not done at dealer prep.

We would try to check things such as that when bike was on lift. But it's not possible to check every single fastener on the bike in the time alloted. If the tech didn't touch it and see that it was loose, I can see it getting missed.

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I was out at my dealer (Dudley Perkins HD of South San Francisco) the other day. I looked at the tags on the new bikes. There was a breakdown of all the charges. But what impressed me was that at the bottom of the page was the out the door price, tax, license, prep and doc fees included. So anyone looking at a bike would know what the real cost to him or her would be immediately.

That bottom line was the only line I looked at. I could have looked at the breakdown but it didn't matter to me how it was structured. All I really wanted to know was the out the door price and that is what I got on the bottom line. It was also the only number written big and in bold font. This is what they wanted you to see first.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperDude View Post
I understand the general public being skeptical of anything a dealership says.

Guys.... I wrenched in a dealership for 4 years. The bikes don't show up ready to roll onto the showroom floor. Some need more work than others.

They have to fit in a box. Models with taller handlebars are shipped with the bars swung down. They have to be adjusted. The hand controls as well. Most seats are not installed (no biggie, I know). On Electra Glide Standards and Ultras, the windshields are not installed, and the tour pak is installed in a more "forward" position, it has to be moved back.

I won't speak for all dealerships, but at the one I was at, we went over the bike pretty throughly. We checked the fuel levels and the belt tension. We took off the primary inspection covers and checked the primary chain and adjusted the clutch. Checked tire pressures. Took the bike for a ~10 mile ride, brought it back and insured no oil leaks (a few bad o-rings on crank position sensor were found this way). It was an easy hour or more of work.

Then the bike was washed/detailed. There was film/dirt in places.

Definitely not just rolled off the truck and into the showroom.
I'm quite sure all of that is true however, I believe all of that expense is already factored in to the MSRP price. Adding it on as a line item is simply an attempt to bolster a dealer's profit margin.

There are additional costs to a 10 lb sack of potatoes: washing, bagging, transportation, advertising, paying for counter space, etc. but it's all included in the $3.99 I pay for the bag.

Dealers put "Dealer Prep" into the sale for several reasons.

First, some people actually pay it.....chaaaaaaa-ching!

Second, they can offer to waive it as part of the negotiation of the deal thereby giving the customer the impression they are getting a better deal than they really are.

Call it what you will, it's nothing more than a money grab....and if I owned a dealership I'd charge it too but that doesn't mean it's not bogus!

When I'm looking at a bike to buy I establish my price for beginning my negotiations by taking "dealer prep" and "doc prep" off of the price on the bike.

All that said, I agree with Michael. Ultimately, the only thing that really matters is the final "out the door" price you are able to negotiate with the dealer.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridewv View Post
I agree. The "document" fee is the most blatant attempt at screwing a customer. It can be anywhere from $50-$250 and is almost never disclosed until after the customer has negotiated the price of the vehicle. In the past I simply refused to pay a doc fee telling them "just give me the bike and the certificate of origin and I'll go to the DMV to pay the tax and do my own paper work". Our state now requires dealers to collect the tax at the point of sale so I'll see how it works out next time. No way I'd pay more than $25 for a $15 per hour secretary to do 20 minutes of paperwork though.
I guess it might be different from one state to the other. In Delaware the Documnet fee is the tax the state charges. That is not a dealer charge and we don't get any of that. The Doc fee in Delaware is 3.75% of the selling price minus your trade if you have one. We also do titling for Maryland residents too and in Maryland the Doc fee is 6%. We also charge an admin fee of $50.00 for Delaware residents and $52.50 for Maryland residents. Again that is a fee the states charge, not the dealership.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrvp View Post
I guess it might be different from one state to the other. In Delaware the Documnet fee is the tax the state charges. That is not a dealer charge and we don't get any of that. The Doc fee in Delaware is 3.75% of the selling price minus your trade if you have one. We also do titling for Maryland residents too and in Maryland the Doc fee is 6%. We also charge an admin fee of $50.00 for Delaware residents and $52.50 for Maryland residents. Again that is a fee the states charge, not the dealership.
and we all know that the State wouldn't screw us........
Old 11-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Psycle View Post
I was out at my dealer (Dudley Perkins HD of South San Francisco) the other day. I looked at the tags on the new bikes. There was a breakdown of all the charges. But what impressed me was that at the bottom of the page was the out the door price, tax, license, prep and doc fees included. So anyone looking at a bike would know what the real cost to him or her would be immediately.

That bottom line was the only line I looked at. I could have looked at the breakdown but it didn't matter to me how it was structured. All I really wanted to know was the out the door price and that is what I got on the bottom line. It was also the only number written big and in bold font. This is what they wanted you to see first.
I guess they do things different in California. In Delaware it is impossible to put an OTD price on a bike on the floor. The OTD for one customer may be different than for another. For instance if we have a bike on the floor for say $18,595 the Delaware Doc fee is $697.00. Let's say you trade in a Sportster we give you $8,595 for it leaving a balance of $10,000.00 even. Now your Delaware Doc fee is $375.00! Live in Maryland with the same trade and it is $600.00. Live in any other state and you only pay MSRP and the tax, tags etc are paid when you register the bike in your state. There is no way we can put an OTD price on a bike on the floor because each deal is different and not all the fees are the same for everyone.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

TaylorMcStrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbob View Post
I'm quite sure all of that is true however, I believe all of that expense is already factored in to the MSRP price. Adding it on as a line item is simply an attempt to bolster a dealer's profit margin.

There are additional costs to a 10 lb sack of potatoes: washing, bagging, transportation, advertising, paying for counter space, etc. but it's all included in the $3.99 I pay for the bag.

Dealers put "Dealer Prep" into the sale for several reasons.

First, some people actually pay it.....chaaaaaaa-ching!

Second, they can offer to waive it as part of the negotiation of the deal thereby giving the customer the impression they are getting a better deal than they really are.

Call it what you will, it's nothing more than a money grab....and if I owned a dealership I'd charge it too but that doesn't mean it's not bogus!
It's not factored in the MSRP. See that high-ceilinged building you're standing in? See the folks in the little offices around the outside? See the guys who check-in your bike at the service desk? These people all need to be paid, the building has rent service due, a heating bill, cooling bill, trash pick up, cleaning, window washing, etc. Some months sales are really slow. All that "money grab" is just their way to stay in business. It just so happens the car/motorcycle world, these added fees have become the norm. The lure people in with the low sales proce the can advertise sans fees.

I've seen dudes like you who get all worked up over it, and maybe the dealer will take a small scrape on the deal to keep you happy - maybe they won't. I've watched guys buy bikes hundreds of miles away to save $500, only to pay $280 in gas, $100 in food, and the the rest on miscellaneous travel expenses.

It's like taxes. Florida doesn't have an income tax, but they have very high property taxes. In the same vein, it takes "X" amount of money to run a profitable dealership, and they need to get to "X" each year. I'm more annoyed with what the government does with the money they extort from me than what the local dealership does to run his business.
TaylorMcStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement