The Wave! : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

bigbadal wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Wave!

Is anybody out there tired of waving at everybody you don't know just because we all ride two or three wheels?

I used to ride in the sixties and seventies and we never did that, that I can remember. Started riding again five years ago and all of a sudden everybody started pointing and waving at me/us. Well, that kinda made us feel good, so we started waving back and I thought it was a cool thing, doing the comaraderie wave.

So, this past year I slowly just started getting tired of it, and now I'm sick of it. Now, if I feel like it I will leave the hand on the bars and just lift my elbow (a half wave). Or, I just don't wave nothing. Then, sometimes I feel guilty, like I'm being rude to fellow riders. It's a real delima!

What do you think? I need some support here so I can feel good about myself again.
bigbadal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

guydoc77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have exactly the same sentiments bigbadal. Exactly.
When I do wave, it's because I also feel guilty.
Even then I wave in the same way I would if driving a car.
What gets me is the wave on the byways around a rally.
Are you kidding me?
I'm not going to constantly ride with one hand on the bars.
Which is what I'd have to do if I literally waved to every bike on the road during Sturgis.
Clearview windshield
CP flat tops
R&R Stage 3 heads, .030 gasket, 82cc chambers
Trued, welded, and balanced crank by Hyperformance
TMan 590 cams
SE AC
HPI 54mm TB
Supermeg with open cap and 15 discs
TTS tune by BVBob

2003 Indian Scout Deluxe
Aspen White (got it for my wife)
S&S "SuperStock" 88"
12" apes
Scary fast!
guydoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

pjciii wants to know Dino or Syn?
i dont wave. if i am at a gas station or a HD dealer someplace like that i will talk all day to ya. i have better things to do like looking at the road, the traffic or the scenery. if i have a passenger they can wave..gives them something to do. just my 2 cents

patrick
Old 10-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Not to worry Al, I'm not a 'wave guy' either and I never feel guilty about not "throwing down the wave" just because someone riding the other way thinks they're my "Bro".
All in all it's pretty silly - made even sillier by those that post a complaint because another rider didn't wave back. Makes me laugh.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

FLHTDan wants to know Dino or Syn?
If I'm in the middle of nowhere and see another bike a will probably wave. Otherwize I'm tired of it and will not wave
FLHTDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadal View Post
Is anybody out there tired of waving at everybody you don't know just because we all ride two or three wheels?

I used to ride in the sixties and seventies and we never did that, that I can remember. Started riding again five years ago and all of a sudden everybody started pointing and waving at me/us. Well, that kinda made us feel good, so we started waving back and I thought it was a cool thing, doing the comaraderie wave.

So, this past year I slowly just started getting tired of it, and now I'm sick of it. Now, if I feel like it I will leave the hand on the bars and just lift my elbow (a half wave). Or, I just don't wave nothing. Then, sometimes I feel guilty, like I'm being rude to fellow riders. It's a real delima!

What do you think? I need some support here so I can feel good about myself again.
The answer is in the question.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
After 45 years of riding, I still wave most of the time and always have. Anywhere near a motorcycle rally or similar is excepted, as is when I am in heavy traffic or in a turn that would make it dangerous. To me it is an act of friendship. I learned the American Sign Language for "I love you" (thumb, fore and pinky raised). I often use that although I don't think many understand what I am communicating.

I remember when the wave became politicized. It was during the Vietnam War when some riders (myself included) started waving with the "V" sign (for peace). Some riders would wave back until they saw the V and then pull their wave back. That was a tragic time for our country. I'm glad that is long over and the wave is back to just being a wave.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Rickstar321 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I guess I'm still in the green horn "bro" stage lol...

I wave and I'm genuinely glad to do it... and yes it's partly because of the "connection" thing...

"I LOVE to ride and I see that you do too!"
  • 04 Custom built Stretched/Raked Daytec Frame, Stretched tank, Deuce front end, 21" Front tire, Evo 1340, S&S Shorty E, Supreme Legends Fwd Control, 2 1/2" Samson Pipes, Oil Cooler... (My Pretty Weekend Cruiser) + more!
    My Custom Thread
  • 04 Vstar 1100, lowered, Dragon's Breath pods, Cobra Dragsters, (Daily rider 90 mile round trip to work where it gets covered in slag dust!)
Rickstar321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

SAFXDL is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I wave because when I'm riding I'm happy...don't care if they don't wave back.....I wasn't waving FOR them anyway.

Proud Parent of a Son serving his country

'08 FLHPI, 103, SERT, Fatcat 2/1 Black, Reckless Fairing w/tunes.

Last edited by SAFXDL; 10-25-2012 at 01:19 PM.
SAFXDL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Brew61 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The wave has been around for a long time. I started riding back in the early seventies and all the bikers waved to each other back then. It’s just like truck drivers wave to each other and bus drivers do the same.

I look at it as just a little friendly gesture, which I think now a days we could use a little more of.

Bruce

2004 Road king FLHRCI
107 10.5-1 Flat top Pistons
S&S 4 3/8 Flywheels
Timken Conversion
Heads, Serdi Street port by Vee Twin Racing
S&S 585 gear drive Easy Start cams
S&S Quickee pushrod kit
Throttle body ported to 48mm by Dan Vance Racing
SE Air Cleaner kit with Zippers Filter
S&S Power Tune duals
Vance & Hines Basic Slash Slip-ons
Burly Lite Clutch Kit
HD Reduced Clutch inner/outer ramps
AIM Corp 480Lb. Clutch Spring
Baisley LMR-004 Oil Pump Spring
ThunderMax Auto Tuner
Brew61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

baggerman11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
if it's an old ugly fart like me I usually don't wave, if it's a good looking female on a scoot will always wave unless the boss of the house is with me. will usually wave back if waved at, depends on what I'm doing at the time, stopping, avoiding a dumbass 4 wheeler, etc. just my 2 cents worth. Don't wave much while in Sturgis or when I'm at a bike rally. have to save the arm for lifting the cold ones at the end of the day. and one more
Old 10-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

huskerbob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggerman11 View Post
if it's an old ugly fart like me I usually don't wave, if it's a good looking female on a scoot will always wave unless the boss of the house is with me. will usually wave back if waved at, depends on what I'm doing at the time, stopping, avoiding a dumbass 4 wheeler, etc. just my 2 cents worth. Don't wave much while in Sturgis or when I'm at a bike rally. have to save the arm for lifting the cold ones at the end of the day. and one more

oh yeah, nothing makes a "good looking female" hot n' horny for "an old ugly fart" like a quick 'biker wave'. bet a lot of them pull off the road and 'drop trou' for ya right there!
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

huskerbob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
The answer is in the question.
You been re-reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanence", G Man???
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm kinda lazy when it comes to waving. I usually wait to see if the other person waves. If they do then i'll lift a couple of fingers off the grip or give them the ole head nod. If you go out to Sturgis or one of the other big rallies you'll notice that hardly anyone waves. I guess because there are just too many bikes around.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
I got NO problem with waving. I initiate some and return some.

I have to admit though, after I hit that tree I quit doing THE wave.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.