Ethanol fuel history - interesting : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Topgeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ethanol fuel history - interesting

I was reading Huskerbob's post on the use of ethanol in Harleys and got to wondering about the fuel we are forced to use. I didn't want to hi-jack his thread as this is not an answer to his questions. I learned a lot of info I didn't know. I found it a good read. See for yourself.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_fuel_history.html
Willie G mods in some places
American Custom Bomber slip ons
Topgeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

huskerbob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
thanks, good post!
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Some of the timeline entries seem to contradict each other.

The Civil War was definitely not in the 1850s.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
One interesting thing I read is, they can't transport it with ethanol, cause it attracts water. So it is added later by various parties. They claim maybe even a truck driver. The may add more to get more tax credits?? Not sure how it works, but the idea is there could be to much alcohol, which can damage your engine.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

sportcruiser wants to know Dino or Syn?
100% ethanol is used in IndyCar and has been for years. Prior to that, it was 100% methanol. As a racing fuel, it makes a world of sense because it can be diluted with water and therefore fires can be extinguished with water.

I think the ability to make an engine that isn't damaged by it is there, but the greater concern is turning farm lands into fuel lands, if you will. It's got to be the greatest misuse of farm lands I can imagine.
sportcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Corn is food...You don't burn your food...

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

rscalzo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Corn is not used that much for the production. Sugar cane stalks and beets are as popular but right now corn is more abundant.
rscalzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
One interesting thing I read is, they can't transport it with ethanol, cause it attracts water. So it is added later by various parties. They claim maybe even a truck driver. The may add more to get more tax credits?? Not sure how it works, but the idea is there could be to much alcohol, which can damage your engine.
Drivers did blend the product a few years ago, and may still splash blend in very rural areas of the country, but terminals in metropolitan areas automatic blend at the loading rack. I suppose a computer error could occur to over or under blend, but there are backups to detect those errors.
jammer45u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have nothing against ethanol fuel as i'm sure it has it's place as an alternate fuel. The problem i have is the way it's forced down our throats like so many other government regulations. There are a lot of engines out there that are not designed to run on this fuel mixture. Sure they tolerate it but at what expense? I would like to see more stations that offer a choice. Here where i live (IL) there are no stations in my area that offer ethanol free gas.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
One problem is the government is requiring it.

New engines are probably not effected by it the way they were years ago. They may be able to build newer engine that run on even higher percent. But the government is forcing the sale of it, and there are still engine not built for it.

Hell, I got cat converter on my weed wacker. Next thing you know the liberals will require electric chainsaws and weed wackers. We will be over run by squirels.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
One problem is the government is requiring it.

New engines are probably not effected by it the way they were years ago. They may be able to build newer engine that run on even higher percent. But the government is forcing the sale of it, and there are still engine not built for it.

Hell, I got cat converter on my weed wacker. Next thing you know the liberals will require electric chainsaws and weed wackers. We will be over run by squirels.
Squirrels are viscous little fukkers.
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

Eleft36 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesToGo View Post
I have nothing against ethanol fuel as i'm sure it has it's place as an alternate fuel. The problem i have is the way it's forced down our throats like so many other government regulations. There are a lot of engines out there that are not designed to run on this fuel mixture. Sure they tolerate it but at what expense? I would like to see more stations that offer a choice. Here where i live (IL) there are no stations in my area that offer ethanol free gas.
Here's a problem for us in our bikes, mowers, chainsaws etc.:

EPA's new 4-gallon gas rule sparks debate" JSOnline Journal Sentinel, Sept. 18, 2012
Excerpt: "...Without the rule, a motorcyclist who followed an E15 customer at the pump, but who only purchased two gallons of E10, could receive enough residual E15 from the hose and nozzle to violate an engine warranty and possibly cause engine problems..." LINK: http://www.jsonline.com/business/4ga...170272246.html

Al
Stock 110" mufflers Stock Heads Andrews 26 Cams SE103" BB Kit Zippers Cam Chain Tensioners SE Compensator Mustang Wide Touring Seat Stock Bars H.D. Oil Cooler 1990's LeatherWorks inc Saddle Bags with HD Deluxe modified guards H-D Windshield Thunder Max A/T 2005 S E Tour Pack Progressive Shocks & fork Mono Tube kit
Eleft36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Z16Monte wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcruiser View Post
100% ethanol is used in IndyCar and has been for years. Prior to that, it was 100% methanol. As a racing fuel, it makes a world of sense because it can be diluted with water and therefore fires can be extinguished with water.

I think the ability to make an engine that isn't damaged by it is there, but the greater concern is turning farm lands into fuel lands, if you will. It's got to be the greatest misuse of farm lands I can imagine.
Ethanol is also highly boost and compression tolerant. That's how you make real power with it.
Z16Monte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
No matter how you cut it, it's still low power fuel.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

sportcruiser wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by webco2 View Post
No matter how you cut it, it's still low power fuel.

True, I think E10 has a 2% negative affect on power. If 2% is worth jumping through hoops for, by all means jump. For me, I'll just pump the E10 in and ride.

Diesel is about 25% better than pure gasoline. Maybe a 120 inch diesel is the answer for all of us!
sportcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement