Ethanol fuel history - interesting - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcruiser View Post
True, I think E10 has a 2% negative affect on power. If 2% is worth jumping through hoops for, by all means jump. For me, I'll just pump the E10 in and ride.

Diesel is about 25% better than pure gasoline. Maybe a 120 inch diesel is the answer for all of us!
E10 has the effect of lowering your MPG by 10%. E10 has lower BTU per qubic inch, thusly less power. Diesel by Federal law has 10% ethanol add to it also. The Nuclear Regulator Agency has mandated that all nuclear power plants upgrade thier emergency power generator fuel storage by a minimum of 10% more gallons of fuel and also to upgrade thier diesel motor generator performance horse power by a minimun of 10% .

Corn is food. You don't burn your food.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

Topgeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a Flex Fuel engine in my 08 pickup and I know about the mpg vs cost trade off. Even though I live in one of the largest corn producing states and third largest ethanol producing state in the nation, I can drive 75 miles in any direction and find only one E-85 pump. There are two places close to me listed on a site that says they have an E- Free pump but I can't attest to that. All the rest are E-10.
Here is something else I ran across which I have never seen. It was labeled as a warning to not use E-20 or E-85 in that vehicle. It don't say what make of vehicle it is.

Willie G mods in some places
American Custom Bomber slip ons
Topgeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDRYDR View Post
Squirrels are viscous little fukkers.
They're oily?

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

SteveB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Noones mentioned the cancer causing effects of burning ethanol with its by-product of acetyldehydes.
H-D Passenger backrest and luggage rack
Doherty PowePacc Kit with crank vents
Cobra fi2000 O2
H-D oil cooler
Synthetic oil
Patriot Defender exhaust
dunlop 401F
Michelin Commander II rear
XLC handlebars and 2" extra rise in Risers
10.5" shocks
1" lowered seat with memory foam added
Chrome
Superchips Vigilante
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

cata5803 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesToGo View Post
I have nothing against ethanol fuel as i'm sure it has it's place as an alternate fuel. The problem i have is the way it's forced down our throats like so many other government regulations. There are a lot of engines out there that are not designed to run on this fuel mixture. Sure they tolerate it but at what expense? I would like to see more stations that offer a choice. Here where i live (IL) there are no stations in my area that offer ethanol free gas.
Here in N.Florida ethanol Free 89 octane is $4.29/gal. www.pure-gas.org Perhaps this site can help locating ethanol free fuel for you..
Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

sportcruiser wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by webco2 View Post
E10 has the effect of lowering your MPG by 10%. E10 has lower BTU per qubic inch, thusly less power. Diesel by Federal law has 10% ethanol add to it also. The Nuclear Regulator Agency has mandated that all nuclear power plants upgrade thier emergency power generator fuel storage by a minimum of 10% more gallons of fuel and also to upgrade thier diesel motor generator performance horse power by a minimun of 10% .

Corn is food. You don't burn your food.

I am no ethanol fan, but how can E10 lower your mileage by 10%, when it's only 10% of the fuel (by volume)? According to your numbers, the ethanol has no energy in it at all. Please explain.
sportcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
They're oily?

joe
The ones in my barn are.

I found a place that has 89% ethanol free. I was getting 1-2 mpg at times. Is it due to the higher octane, I usually do 87 in SUV. But that is 5-10%.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU

Last edited by berserker; 10-30-2012 at 06:42 AM.
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcruiser View Post
I am no ethanol fan, but how can E10 lower your mileage by 10%, when it's only 10% of the fuel (by volume)? According to your numbers, the ethanol has no energy in it at all. Please explain.
The Feds figured it out, I did not!!!!!!!
Thusly the rule to increase the fuel storage and horsepower requirements for back up power generating at nuclear power plants.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
The ones in my barn are.

I found a place that has 89% ethanol free. I was getting 1-2 mpg at times. Is it due to the higher octane, I usually do 87 in SUV. But that is 5-10%.
87, 89, and 91 corn-free are pretty common here, at about a $.10-$.15 premium.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I have only found couple places here that have 89 corn free, Fleet Farms. Corn free premium is getting more common.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
FNG :)

SteelHorseRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
My ride runs great on E85. Smells like deep fried corn dogs when parked but no issues so far. I have 1100 on it so far during break-in. There are many posts on the Web by people that lack the fundamental understanding of this fuel and its uses. There are so many misconceptions. At the end of the day, one must do the research and make the choice. I chose a proper build assisted by my son, an engineer that understands fuels. The only issue in the long run would be to not let the bike sit dormant to attract moisture, which can cause corrosion. However, there are additives to prevent this from happening. I prefer to go out and twist its tail to keep that from happening.

2003 FLHTCUI
Rev Perf 124/10.5 Cyl Kit
Solenberg and Smith SE Heads Ported and Polished
Ferrea 2.100 x 1.615 valves
Comp Valve Springs
Johnson HyLift Roller Lifters
S&S 640g Gear Cams
Evolution Clutch
CVO Trued/Welded Stroker Crank
Jims Main Upgrade
Timken Bearings
HPI 58mm TB and Red Band Injectors
T-Max Closed Loop ECU
High Volume Oil Pump
TwinTec Coil
HPI 62 psi fuel regulator
Thunderheader
Tuned to E85
RevTech CR 6spd down a cog front
SteelHorseRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #27 (permalink)
Premium Member

rickr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHorseRider View Post
My ride runs great on E85. Smells like deep fried corn dogs when parked but no issues so far. I have 1100 on it so far during break-in. There are many posts on the Web by people that lack the fundamental understanding of this fuel and its uses. There are so many misconceptions. At the end of the day, one must do the research and make the choice. I chose a proper build assisted by my son, an engineer that understands fuels. The only issue in the long run would be to not let the bike sit dormant to attract moisture, which can cause corrosion. However, there are additives to prevent this from happening. I prefer to go out and twist its tail to keep that from happening.
So your running E85 in your new bike by choice?
rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #28 (permalink)
FNG :)

SteelHorseRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes sir. I designed it with E85 in mind and found a builder that understood ethanol with racing history.

2003 FLHTCUI
Rev Perf 124/10.5 Cyl Kit
Solenberg and Smith SE Heads Ported and Polished
Ferrea 2.100 x 1.615 valves
Comp Valve Springs
Johnson HyLift Roller Lifters
S&S 640g Gear Cams
Evolution Clutch
CVO Trued/Welded Stroker Crank
Jims Main Upgrade
Timken Bearings
HPI 58mm TB and Red Band Injectors
T-Max Closed Loop ECU
High Volume Oil Pump
TwinTec Coil
HPI 62 psi fuel regulator
Thunderheader
Tuned to E85
RevTech CR 6spd down a cog front
SteelHorseRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #29 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
E85 is great for a Bar bike, but impractical for a long distance touring bike. Here towards the eastern part of the country we don't have E85. The only time I see E85 is when I get farther out west where the Government is trying to get something going by subsidizing the industry. The availability isn't good enough for much more than a round town play toy.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

SteveB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cata5803 View Post
Here in N.Florida ethanol Free 89 octane is $4.29/gal. www.pure-gas.org Perhaps this site can help locating ethanol free fuel for you..
Thanks cata5803. Cruising across Florida in Febuary of 1979 0n my 19781/2 FXS I was getting 72 mpg. When the gas here in Indiana later had 5% ethanol in it mileage dropped to 62 mpg and required a retune, at 10% mpgs dropped to 55 with alot of coughing and sneezing. With carb adjustment to make it run right it dropped to50mpg. Not only does ethanol have lower energy content it requires a richer jetting to run properly. My current bike made 62 mpgs heading south out of Mammouth Hot Springs in Yellowstone National Park to Jackson with a couple stops, one at Old Faithful for coffee and a break. National Parks do not allow oxygeanators of any kind because of the cancer causing pollutants they generate this includes alcohol (God bless Steve Mcqueen). The best mileage I can get with this bike on ethanol is 51mpg. That's closer to 20% loss from 10% alcohol added. The alcohol is costing us by susidies and mileage loss. Using it was a misguided attempt to escape foreign oil and which time has passed with current IC efficiences in my honest opion. I quit smoking tobacco to avoid Lung cancer only to see a future possbilities of Brain cancer from burning ethanol.
H-D Passenger backrest and luggage rack
Doherty PowePacc Kit with crank vents
Cobra fi2000 O2
H-D oil cooler
Synthetic oil
Patriot Defender exhaust
dunlop 401F
Michelin Commander II rear
XLC handlebars and 2" extra rise in Risers
10.5" shocks
1" lowered seat with memory foam added
Chrome