Tool kit for on the road : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Markk9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Tool kit for on the road

I want to build a basic tool kit to keep in the saddle bag for basic road side maintenance. I want this for day trips and multi days.

A 3/8" ratchet and extension

-What size sockets, only want to carry what is needed
-What size Hex keys
-an adjustable wrench
-compact channel lock pliers
-small needle nose pliers and cutters
-screwdriver with multi size bits ( flat and philips)
-tire pressure gauge
-assorted zip ties, rubber bands, fuses, etc.

Anything I missed or should add to the list.

Retired Eagle Driver.............Long Live the Eagle.

Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

LoneEagle964 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I read somewhere to do a major service ,5K or 10 k , as your doing it keep track of the tools used and this is what you would need for roadside repair tools. I havent tried it but it did sound reasonable .

LoneEagle
LoneEagle964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I go big. I have a breaker bar, and 1.5" socket, for the comp nut. Plus lots more.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I keep one of those multi size folding hex sets, a second one that has Torx, small and medium crescent wrenches, a small channellock, a 1/4" drive ratchet and extension with a 7/16, 1/2 and 9/16" deep sockets, a multi bit screwdriver and or a ratcheting 1/4 " drive screwdriver with flat, phillips and torx bits stored inside it (Snap on makes a great one)-also works with the 1/4" drive sockets, small Needle nose and vice grips, a knife, zip ties, some electrical tape, random wire connectors and a few generic bolts. Fits inside a velcro/zipper pouch that a bud gave me. It's not light but i've been able to handle almost any roadside need myself or my buddies have had. Works better than AAA! Lol.
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I've got two Craftsman box end ratchet wrenches that will fit 8 different size bolts by flipping over each end. Very handy and doesn't take up much room.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Emergency belt for my 5 speed. Are they making them yet for the 6 speed? I can't figure out the delay.
I fill up about 1/2+ of my hard bag.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 10-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Markk9 wants to know Dino or Syn?
What size sockets do i need? I really don't want to carry a full set of sockets.

Retired Eagle Driver.............Long Live the Eagle.

Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

There are a few threads on this, that should have sizes. Everything that I use on my bike working on it, gets put into the bags in some forms.
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 10-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

XLReturnee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bdBagr View Post
I keep one of those multi size folding hex sets, a second one that has Torx, small and medium crescent wrenches, a small channellock, a 1/4" drive ratchet and extension with a 7/16, 1/2 and 9/16" deep sockets, a multi bit screwdriver and or a ratcheting 1/4 " drive screwdriver with flat, phillips and torx bits stored inside it (Snap on makes a great one)-also works with the 1/4" drive sockets, small Needle nose and vice grips, a knife, zip ties, some electrical tape, random wire connectors and a few generic bolts. Fits inside a velcro/zipper pouch that a bud gave me. It's not light but i've been able to handle almost any roadside need myself or my buddies have had. Works better than AAA! Lol.
Tim
Do you pull a small trailer with your tool box on top?
Harley's have gotten pretty dependable. Who needs tools?

Terry
XLReturnee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLReturnee View Post
I carry a fairly complete tool set that I have assembled over the years. Yes, fortunately Harleys are reliable. And I'm almost incapable of using the tools myself. I have very little mechanical experience (I can change the oil and do minor stuff, but that's about it). I carry the tools because even though I can't use them, it is likely I will find someone who could help me, if he only had the tools. The tool kit is not for me, it's for the bike. I also carry a cell phone and a card for a towing service.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
I guess if your bike is stock and you never lay a wrench on it then maybe they are.....

But..........out on the road sh!t happens. A buddy of mine who had a Street Glide who had somebody run the wires thru the bars and put all the chrome controls on......out there 200 miles from the nearest dealer, one of the wire connectors vibrated/came loose...bike died. Without tools it would have been a tow bill in the HUNDREDS of dollars. Instead, i used my tools and took apart a few things, ended up being under the fairing and found the problem. If you turn wrenches and change things, every now and then you may have a problem. The only thing that has EVER stranded me was a broken drive belt, otherwise my tools have helped me and my friends out many times. Besides, the bag sits in the bottom of my saddlebag taking up maybe a 3.5" diameter x 12" spot. Likely takes up less space than your old lady's purse....and its much more useful.

Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Quote:
I have had bolts come loose. If I didn't have the tools to tighten them on the side of the road, I would be stranded. waiting hours for a toe. Not every place has cell reception.
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 10-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bdBagr View Post
ottom of my saddlebag taking up maybe a 3.5" diameter x 12" spot. Likely takes up less space than your old lady's purse....and its much more useful.

Tim

I call those guys cell phone mechanics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tool kit resize 2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	74361  
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Marky, just remember you're only carrying enough for an emergency, not a complete tear-down.
Skip the ratchet and sockets and carry a couple of adjustables (Crescent wrenches). Then take your best guess at the rest - you only need common sense to fill your emergency tool kit. Tools that can double-up they're duties work the best and save space.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Crescent wrenches don't fit in tight spots. I carry one. But I sure don't rely on it.

I don't put the word emergency in front of my toolkit.
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.