So you bought a Road King as your first bike anyway : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

drpcfix wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question So you bought a Road King as your first bike anyway

At my MSF course one instructor advised all the riders to buy a small bike and ride the hell out of it for a couple of years before getting something bigger. The second instructor pointed to his v-twin touring bike and said: "Yeah, I was told the same thing but I wanted a big v-twin touring bike and right after I passed the MSF course, that is what I bought".

He went on to say that if your goal is to ride a big touring bike, once you have learned the basics, it makes more sense to practice on what you want to ride. Go ahead and buy the bike of your dreams, take it to a parking lot and practice everything that you learned in the course on the big bike until you feel comfortable and then move up to riding on quiet local streets.

Many new rider's have asked the same question: What bike to buy. So the topic of this thread is to hear from those that bought a big bike anyway and what their experience has been and would they have done it that way again if given the chance.

I'm mostly interested in the responses from those that have taken the MSF course or something similar since presumably they got a good start to their riding experience.
drpcfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mistert wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'd say it goes with the size and abilities of the rider more than anything...Yes, a lighter (Sporty) might help "break in" a novice rider but again, go with what you feel most comfortable and competent on. Just my thoughts, Good Luck
mistert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

RGRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
I took the Riders Edge course. I don't think I should have gotten a fully loaded bagger right away but I had no problem starting out on a Softail.
RGRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

streetg wants to know Dino or Syn?
We are talkin HD's here, the bigger ones are just bigger, they're not crazy, dangerous powerful.The same balance is required for a bagger as a sporty. My opinion is it's not a bad idea to buy the smaller bike because if you find that riding is not for you, at least yer into it for less money. So, maybe if ya want a big twin, a used one with less investment?? I've known a couple people that got the ridin itch, but, just never got comfy on the street because of fear of gettin squashed. Other than the financial thing, if thats not an issue, get whatcha like.

1988 FXSTC 100" Fatso 68 Bonneville 650
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Wyokaboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you are going to start small and work your way up, buy used. I started small and with in a couple of weeks wished I'd bought what I really wanted to start with. Just my 2cents.
Wyokaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

TaylorMcStrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
My wife took the "Ladies Only" MSF course and got similar advice. Two weeks after the course, she bought a gently used FatBoy with Woods cams, V&H BigShots and a SE air cleaner. She rides the heck out of it.
TaylorMcStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetg View Post
We are talkin HD's here, the bigger ones are just bigger, they're not crazy, dangerous powerful.The same balance is required for a bagger as a sporty. My opinion is it's not a bad idea to buy the smaller bike because if you find that riding is not for you, at least yer into it for less money. So, maybe if ya want a big twin, a used one with less investment?? I've known a couple people that got the ridin itch, but, just never got comfy on the street because of fear of gettin squashed. Other than the financial thing, if thats not an issue, get whatcha like.
I switch between a TRX and FXR several times a week. And while the same skill set will let you ride either, there is a noticeable difference. The FXR corners so well that it will make you lazy. Getting back on the bagger can give you some moments when you forget that it wants more than just a nudge to lay into a turn. And the bagger likes to have the rear brake drug a little in tight spaces, the FXR could care less.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think it depends on the individual...I started on a 450 honda when I was 18.I was a lanky,skinny kid at the time.I'm glad it wasn't bigger,was all I could handle at the time.
I got a lot bigger and more co-ordinated in my 20's,and was on a kawasaki 1100 with a vetter fairing,then went to harley's.
I would honestly not like to see a brand new rider on a touring bike.Too easy for them to lean it over too far at a stop and drop it.

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

It's always weird goin from one bike to another. Different ridin position, foward controls vs mid, whatever, but as long as a newbie is on the same bike they should be OK

Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Iron Butt

Bronxhog wants to know Dino or Syn?
My first "street" bike was a Road King bought it after MSF course..

However i did ride dirt bikes in my early teens;fell la few times.learned lots of lessons
Bronxhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

autoworker wants to know Dino or Syn?
For a large bike a Road King is very user friendly.

Tall bikes that carry their weight high can be a pain to ride.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

RogerDodger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Never took the MSF course. Aced my state riding test on my brand new '95 EGC and never looked back. Before that I just rode without a state endorsement.
If a big touring rig intimidates you, start out on something you're comfy on - you can always trade up.

Last edited by RogerDodger; 09-28-2012 at 01:17 PM.
RogerDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
.A.R.M. RIDER

tleahy wants to know Dino or Syn?
I took the course, passed, and bought my first bike, 2005 RoadKing Classic, while growing up I had spent some time on other peoples dirt bikes etc. but thats all the previous experience I had.
tleahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Do these courses give ya a break on insurance rates or some benefit like that or are all yuou guys just takin them because?? Not saying it's a bad idea at all , just curious, I don't think they were around when I stsarted ridin on the street.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
.A.R.M. RIDER

tleahy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Passing the course eliminated taking the dmv road test, present completion certificate...
receive license.
tleahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement