Water cooled in 2014 - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

tmd11111 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ever since the introduction of the V-Rod the same stuipd rumor floats around, "Next years bike are going to be water cooled." Well I guess after 10 years of the same story we now have to skip a year to make it sound more believable.
tmd11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

werdna65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
wow here we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMcStrat View Post
The guy at my HD dealer CONFIRMED IT. He's the lot boy, but he knows his stuff. He said it's time to trade/sell your old air-cooled sled NOW, because once the water cooled line-up shows up next year, it will be too late. By then, EVERYONE will be trying to dump their old a/c models. Prices for your used bike will fall off a cliff.

Do yourself a favor and take it from me. SELL NOW! The 2014s will be water cooled. I have it on solid inside intel. You can trust me. Sell, sell, sell....
The same thing was said in 2012, No show on water cooled. I will say that a friend that works at H-D said there will be changes for 2013-14 models, but he didn't say it was with the engines, just styling. He don't work where the engines are built, just hard parts.
Saleman is there to make money and would say whats needed to make a sale.
werdna65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMcStrat View Post
The guy at my HD dealer CONFIRMED IT. He's the lot boy, but he knows his stuff. He said it's time to trade/sell your old air-cooled sled NOW, because once the water cooled line-up shows up next year, it will be too late. By then, EVERYONE will be trying to dump their old a/c models. Prices for your used bike will fall off a cliff.

Do yourself a favor and take it from me. SELL NOW! The 2014s will be water cooled. I have it on solid inside intel. You can trust me. Sell, sell, sell....
If you know anything about HD owners and riders.
A large number do not nor will not be the first in line.
Two there are many that do not want the extra cost or issues with liquid cooled heads.
Even if they do release a mid year or 2014 with them it will not have a major effect on the market.
Third if HD did release it it would not be on all models on the floor just not the way they do things.
I am the type to try something new how ever I will not allow a rumor to stop me from buying my 2013 RGU this week when it shows up.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think it will drive up the costs of used bikes, who wants an add-on water-cooled headed bike? Be different if they made a V-Rod touring bike...
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

wndchsr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Same stupid BS every year about this time. Heard it from a guy who really knows, who heard it from a guy who knows even more, etc, etc...........

Patriot Guard ID #181788
US Navy Veteran
wndchsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Evil Clown

luvstoride is reading this now saying WTF is this? luvstoride is reading this now saying WTF is this?
It's true everyone! I talked to the teenage boy who takes out the trash on the weekends at my dealership. He confirmed he heard the lot boy talk to the bike washer, who overheard it when the junior mechanic was talking to the shirt saleswoman. She heard it while hiding in the salesman's office under the desk when the manager walked in on them. The Manager found out while at the bar slogging down a few cold ones. The drunk who told him has an uncle that works at the plant in Milwaukee. So, it IS true. 2014's (all of them) will have water cooling, 13 speed transmissions, and come stock with a 155" engine making 166 hp with 178 torque.

You heard it here first!
Helmets: Let those who ride decide.
Stop feeding the trolls!
luvstoride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You got it all wrong there is this guy that works for the company that makes the heads he got drunk last week and told everyone about them putting 50 new people on to make the new heads.
They would have released them with the 2013 model but they could not hire enough new people in time for production
Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
One time in bandcamp I.......
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetg View Post
Even if waterheads do come in 14, judging by how HD has done things in the past, I'd bet it would only be on 1 r 2 models. Then ramping up to the rest after that.
The 1 or 2 models will be their beta testing riders, typical MoCo using its customers as beta testers.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
FNG :)

guarnold wants to know Dino or Syn?
It would add another level of complexity to a nice basic machine. I wonder if the EPA is giving this grief about NOX emissions.
guarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

LOHAWG wants to know Dino or Syn?
A lot hoopla about squat.....again. I think there are some folks being foolishly optimistic about water cooled heads being the end all to EPA mandated tuning requirements. First the current batch of V-twins is doing a pretty damn good job. They have reasonable performance (for what they are) and are reliable. They haven't been grenading themselves due to heat issues. Do they get hot....absolutely, so does a water cooled BMW. When it's 95 out and your sitting in traffic you going to be hot no matter what you ride. For you touring guys the option to remove your fairing lowers will be gone. So not only will you still be getting your nuts roasted at slow speed but your knee caps and shins will be well done as well. If you think a M/C with water cooled heads is goin to perform significanlty better and be cooler that what your riding now...think again. Oh and do you really believe that HD is about to even consider giving up or substantially reducing it's custom tuning market for the good of the customer. Not likely. Carefull my friends of what you ask for...you may actually get it. Right now the EPA mandated emmisions requirement for HD is the goose that laid the golden egg, and water cooled head........a can of worms.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #27 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
If the heads that may or may not be coming are like the ones in the diagram early in the thread, then it will be a lot of added on water cooling stuff that will only fix one issue that exists now. That tiny water port will only lower the temp of the exhaust valve and seat area. It won't really do much for cooling the engine as a whole. What it will do is help with the warm weather pinging that has so affected the heavy scooters the last few years.

As a personal observation, I can say that my 103 loves water cooling. I was out in the 100+ heat this summer and the scooter was pinging and running poorly. At stop lights it would go into temp management and just ping like it was running on kero. A shower blew in and fixed it right up. Scooter ran fine all the way home.

So if you want water cooling right now, ride in the rain.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

T.W.Dustin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Boy, the fish are really biting today, eh Taylor?

T.W.Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

DK Custom wants to know Dino or Syn?
S&S currently makes v-twins that meet EPA standards and do NOT have the heat problems of the HD TC's.

HD will probably go water-cooled eventually...it is less expensive than making a quality air cooled engine...since most HD customers nowdays don't ride enough miles to need a quality long lasting engine.
DK Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

TaylorMcStrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.W.Dustin View Post
Boy, the fish are really biting today, eh Taylor?
heh..heh....big fat ones jumping right in the boat. I don't even have to reel 'em in.
TaylorMcStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement