Midnight Pearl or Black? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Nubwagon wants to know Dino or Syn?
Midnight Pearl or Black?

Ok so I pretty much have my mind made up that I'm going to trade in my 11 Heritage for what I REALLY want...a new street glide.

Question is...do I get the midnight pearl with no ABS or security? Or do I get the black with all the bells & whistles?

I looked at the midnight pearl. It's a nice color...but that was in the showroom. I didn't get a chance to see it out in the sun yet. That's spoda happen tomorrow. But based on the other online pics I've seen of the midnight pearl, it looks to have sort of a purple hue to it. Ehhh...not really interested in a purple bike, especially if it's gonna cost $500 more. But then again, I need to see it for my self in the sun.

So I think it's gonna come down to either going for the pearl & losing the ABS & security cuz the price would just be too much. Or go with the black & get the ABS, security, cruise control, etc.

Which one would you go with? I'm kinda leaning towards the black, but I'm not counting out the pearl.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Enjoying a great Ride.

jeffsglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
I thought the abs came standard on all the touring bikes no matter what color. If Im wrong and you like the midnight pearl better go for the 500$ for the ABS. You"ll have the peace of mind of never locking your back wheels up again, and besides its only 10$ a month more in your payments, well worth it. And they may just save your a**
jeffsglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
How can anyone dispute the presence of pearl paint. Kinda like Boredom black & a cut above youll never regret.

But then again thats just MHO
And we rolled...... clean out of sight

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsglide View Post
I thought the abs came standard on all the touring bikes no matter what color. If Im wrong and you like the midnight pearl better go for the 500$ for the ABS. You"ll have the peace of mind of never locking your back wheels up again, and besides its only 10$ a month more in your payments, well worth it. And they may just save your a**
That is precisely why I don't like ABS on a bike.
It is OK for the average rider (not professing to being a great rider) But I have many miles and a lot of years of riding in all conditions. There has been times I intentionally locked my back brake to start a slide in order to add power and re-direct the bike, I can think of at least 2 times this saved my ass
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitram_b4 View Post
That is precisely why I don't like ABS on a bike.
It is OK for the average rider (not professing to being a great rider) But I have many miles and a lot of years of riding in all conditions. There has been times I intentionally locked my back brake to start a slide in order to add power and re-direct the bike, I can think of at least 2 times this saved my ass
Ya know .... now that I read your post ... It brought a to think back when that was just the case. Without getting into the descriptive details there is one very vivid recollection that if I had ABS I may not be here typing tonight.

Thanks for the nighmare ...
And we rolled...... clean out of sight

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
bike peddler

Scrubs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsglide View Post
ABS is standard equip only on FLHTK - Ultra Limited, as an inclusive component of the $1195 Security Package, which BTW doesn't include the chirping alarm...add another $295 for that accessory. ABS is cost-effective when a rider considers that the price to replace a fuel tank is $1500 for FLs.

The FLHTK has several features that are offered as options on the FLHTC or FLHTCU. Touring models besides the Ultra Limited can be had without said Security Package, Cruise Control, etc.

Nubwagon, my math isn't computing the figures in your OP. The $500 (actually $510) is for the color option, yeah? The base model Vivid Black FLHX's factory-installed Security Package w/ABS is tabulated $695 greater than the FLHX in Midnight Pearl. Meaning the black one is gonna cost you more. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/street-glide.html_specs&pricing

Warning - shameless sales pitch coming: Color might be your main decision point, I can't really tell. Has your bike salesman offered to display the Midnight Pearl in the bright Houston sunlight? If it means getting the sale, that's what I would happily do for my customer. Coming 8 hours north toward Wichita Falls, TX soon?

------------------FURY is a 2006 FXSTBi Night Train-----------------

A favorite quote: "You were born an original, don't die a copy."

Last edited by Scrubs; 08-29-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Basically what I'm saying Scrubs is that it's gonna cost me $500 more for the pearl coat. If I decide to go fully loaded which is what I originally wanted, the pearl is gonna be more. So if I go with the black fully loaded, that's -$500. But if I do the pearl without ABS & security, yes it might be less. But I'd be missing out on the options. And to me, the security is the important one.

So while I might be paying about $600 more for the black with everything, I believe it's worth it.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poser

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Determine what options YOU want and color YOU want, THEN look for THAT bike even if you have to travel or wait for it. Have no regrets.

rkc
Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Scooter66 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'll quote my wife here, " Get the color and options you want because you sure as hell aren't telling me in a year you wish you had gone with the other bike because it's going to be tough s***." That being said this bike was my first ABS bike and I have no regrets... stopping a 900lb beast in rain or loose surface is a lot less panic inducing. I have had to break the ass end loose with previous bikes but it only works if you can right the bike in time. When it goes beyond that point of no return you get to check out the paint on that Camry's hood up close and personal...ask me I know. I love the security feature also. Kind of nice to just walk away from the bike and know it is locked even though I still lock the ignition out of habit most times.

2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Scooter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Flexin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sounds like you made your decision. Good luck..
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

danno1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Do the pearl.
danno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
bike peddler

Scrubs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubwagon View Post
Basically what I'm saying Scrubs is that it's gonna cost me $500 more for the pearl coat. If I decide to go fully loaded which is what I originally wanted, the pearl is gonna be more. So if I go with the black fully loaded, that's -$500. But if I do the pearl without ABS & security, yes it might be less. But I'd be missing out on the options. And to me, the security is the important one.

So while I might be paying about $600 more for the black with everything, I believe it's worth it.

Hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense and I applaud your practicality by placing security as priority over "beauty is only skin deep" paint options. I do favor the Midnight Pearl myself and, like you, I'm considering a 2013 bagger (Black Denim or Chrome Yellow Pearl FLTRX) loaded with cruise and the security package for the ABS.

You can probably have your cake and eat it too (that never made sense to me; who wants to have cake if you can't eat it?) by shopping around on line and on the phone. Calls like that are an everyday routine where I work. A few H-D sales folk are willing to help, even over the phone.

Realizing Street Glides remain a very popular H-D model, I'm certain there will be plenty of various FLHXs in the coming months throughout TX and LA that are within a day's drive.

------------------FURY is a 2006 FXSTBi Night Train-----------------

A favorite quote: "You were born an original, don't die a copy."
Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

kustom_flames is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Just my two cents, but if the black bike has what you want...get that. Down the road you could do some paint work to that black base....you could add some ice pearl (flake) into some kandy cobalt and it would turn that base into a deep navy blue that would almost look black until the sun hit it...since you would be keeping your existing base it wouldn't be as much as a full blown custom paint job to do so...

Sold!
kustom_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Well I stopped by the dealer to look at the pearl in the sun. I REALLY like this color! It's not purple at all. It's a very deep dark blue metallic color and it looks great in the sun!

So we sat down & crunched numbers. I feel as if the dealer I am working with is nickel & diming me to death. I mean these guys are charging full price for everything! I wasn't asking for too much to add on (pipes & air cleaner, grips, and a fairing bag set) & they just added up everything as if I was just gonna fork over the money no questions asked. I mean I'm ready to plunk down over $20k for this thing...the least they can do is throw in something to sweeten the deal or move a little bit on the pricing. It seems to me that it's a battle to even get them to think about freebies or bending a bit. But I think their inability to be flexible is what's going to cost them the sale in the end. I made some relatively minor sacrifices on my end to show I was willing to work with them and sent them my absolute final offer. I am waiting to hear back but I'm fearing the answer's gonna be no & I'll wind up moving on to another dealer.

We'll see...I'll keep you all updated.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Go buy one from Scrubs!
Tim

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After...approaching completion.
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement