Indian vs. Harley : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2003, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

VA Dyna wants to know Dino or Syn?
Post Indian vs. Harley

I’m thrilled there’s another American Motorcycle Co. I’ve always loved Indian motorcycles. No other motorcycle outshines a Harley like an Indian. Dispute it if you will but we all know…Next time a bottle topped Indian pulls up to you at the stop light, you might consider tucking in your chest back and wipe that smirk off your face. You've just been outshined.

I’m going to ignore the latest marketing ploys by Indian. After all, most of us remember the crap H-D fed us during the AMF years so H-D fans should be the last to cry foul about marketing ploys. I’m also going to ignore all the crap I hear about “clones”. We all know a Softail is a clone of a Hardtail. So what if the early Indians had S&S engines. It got the company up and running until they could produce their own stuff. Let’s not be hypocritical either. Is a Harley still a Harley if you put an S&S engine in it and market it as a Harley?

Most people know that back in the day, H-D triumphed over Indian NOT because they produced a superior motorcycle. While Indian was making motorcycles for the enthusiast, H-D was making bikes for the masses. H-D did a better job of marketing their product. Besides, if it weren’t for AMF, we’d all be scrambling to the local Indian dealer for the only American made motorcycle.

It’s great we have another American made motorcycle and it’s even greater that the name is Indian. I love my FXDL but it just ain't an Indian.
42mm Mikuni
Jims Hydrasolid Lifters
S & S Adjustable Push Rods
Vance & Hines Straight Shots
SE Ignition
VA Dyna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2003, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Boismier

Re: Indian vs. Harley

Quote:
Originally posted by VA Dyna
I’m thrilled there’s another American Motorcycle Co. I’ve always loved Indian motorcycles. No other motorcycle outshines a Harley like an Indian.
You really ought to think about buying one then ...

Quote:
I’m going to ignore the latest marketing ploys by Indian.
Mighty magnanimus of you ...

Quote:
We all know a Softail is a clone of a Hardtail.
Uhhh, not really. A clone is a duplicate with no added function. A Softail is a motorcycle with a hidden rear suspension that kinda looks like a hardtail, but rides better.

Quote:
Is a Harley still a Harley if you put an S&S engine in it and market it as a Harley?
No it isn't, and if you try to do that H-D will have their lawyers all over you like flys on dog-doodie.... where did this "S&S makes H-D motors" crappola come from anyway? Internet urban legend? Indian and Victory conspiracy? Alien invaders?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2003, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

95 FXST wants to know Dino or Syn?

Quote:
Besides, if it weren’t for AMF, we’d all be scrambling to the local Indian dealer for the only American made motorcycle.

No, we'd be scrambling to the local Kawasuki dealer. Indian's rebirth, Big Dog, Mil. Iron ect. are results of Harley's success.
95 FXST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2003, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Boismier

Personally, I'd be scrambling to a Ducati dealer ... Make mine a Monster please ...
Old 08-13-2003, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

MountainMan wants to know Dino or Syn?

Quote:
I’m thrilled there’s another American Motorcycle Co. I’ve always loved Indian motorcycles. No other motorcycle outshines a Harley like an Indian. Dispute it if you will but we all know…Next time a bottle topped Indian pulls up to you at the stop light, you might consider tucking in your chest back and wipe that smirk off your face. You've just been outshined.
UhOh...

Take it back...right now

I've been in the market for a new bike for some time and I have looked at the Indian models. I am not impressed by what I have seen. Go to some of the Indian forums on the web and read what they have to say about reliability and quality. Then go to an Indian dealer and check out the price tags. I don't think so....

Now if you want an American motorcycle that is not a Harley go look at Victory by Polaris. Their new Vegas cruiser is not only good looking, it performs exceptionally well. I had to make a real effort to walk away from the Vic dealer without buying after my demo ride
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2003, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
DHARMA Initiative

jockeyshift wants to know Dino or Syn?

Quote:
…Next time a bottle topped Indian pulls up to you at the stop light, you might consider...
Laughing

Quote:
We all know a Softail is a clone of a Hardtail...
I disagree. If you can't tell a hardtail from a Softail.... Oh wait.. All the *** bikes are looking like HD too. Ooohhh.. A rigid Yamaha V-Star..

God Bless Our Troops.
"So you have a sixty thousand dollar car, eh? Well, I'm real impressed. I have a quarter of a million dollar combine that I only use two weeks a year."

jockeyshift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2003, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SteveE9C6 wants to know Dino or Syn?
ha ha ha......

ploink! good one. d'ya think the hook is set good yet?

Steve
Central Texas
SteveE9C6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2003, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

medicinewoman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Re: Re: Indian vs. Harley

Quote:
Originally posted by Boismier

No it isn't, and if you try to do that H-D will have their lawyers all over you like flys on dog-doodie....
I did'nt realize it but Boismer I LOVE when you say dog-doodie

Looked at Indian's a few years ago. Like the looks but not the price tag. So I bought the HD Sportster.

Cheri
medicinewoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2003, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Boismier

Re: Re: Re: Indian vs. Harley

Quote:
Originally posted by medicinewoman

I did'nt realize it but Boismer I LOVE when you say dog-doodie

Cheri
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
DOG-DOODIE!

Ready for that cigarette now, Cheri?
Old 08-13-2003, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

medicinewoman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Re: Re: Re: Re: Indian vs. Harley

Quote:

dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
dog-doodie
DOG-DOODIE!

Ready for that cigarette now, Cheri?
YEP
medicinewoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2003, 04:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

95 FXST wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Personally, I'd be scrambling to a Ducati dealer ... Make mine a Monster please ...
yeah me too, I don't know what I was thinking.
95 FXST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2003, 04:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

tomv wants to know Dino or Syn?
well i guess we are all entitled to our opinion regarding what we like and why. but enough pc chat.
i love the old indian name and believe some of the old stuff is desireable as hell. the new stuff however seems lacking in many ways to me. stuffing a big set of skirted fenders on a bike and calling it an indian doesnt do it for me. thats pushing the brand recognizing lemming thing a bit too far in my humble opinion.
i also believe that amf for all they did wrong was a godsend for harley-davidson. similarly as others have stated harley-davidson is the reason indian could be resurected. the indian brand could never have achieved the success it has without h-d growing that market.
so when an indian pulls up at a stoplight i'll keep the smile and if i can manage to get my chest to stick out farther than my stomach, thats where it will be. i'll show them the same respect i show anyone regardless of their ride and pass a compliment if the moment permits it.
most of all though i'll just say what i usually do...great day for a ride isnt it? and hope for the response...isnt everyday?

oh...and....dog doodie

its all fun and games till someone gets hurt...then its one of americas funniest hime videos...
tomv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2003, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Ratdog wants to know Dino or Syn?
All I can say about this, is you need to buy what you want and see how long you keep it
Old 08-13-2003, 04:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

Zadok wants to know Dino or Syn?

Quote:
Dispute it if you will but we all know…Next time a bottle topped Indian pulls up to you at the stop light, you might consider tucking in your chest back and wipe that smirk off your face. You've just been outshined.
First of all I dont have some SMIRK on my face....
I personally dont give a **** what you think
about my ride.

Second of all I dont care about what kind of
bike pulls up next to me at a stop light...
I personally dont give a **** what kind of
bike YOU have.

Third of all I have not been OUTSHINED as
you put it.....I personally dont give a ****
if you think spending that much money on
an Indian is better than buying the greatest
american legend of a motorcycle which allows
Indian to even have a chance at success in
the 21st century.

If you havent got the point yet.....
I DONT GIVE A ****!!!!

Gotta go.....I have to take a
bathroom break now after not
givin a **** so much.

Just Ride....
Zadok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2003, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ol Rob wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am sorry, but indian bikes are cheap looking. The fit and finish on them don't even campare to a Harley. I have a friend with an early 1999 indian/cmc bike. Nice looking bike, but he has had so many problems with it. And the chrome controls are not holding up. Billet looks nice, when polished. But Harley goes to the trouble to chrome everything and it really looks better, and lasts longer. I am glad there is more than one American bike company. But only one can be the best, sorry, it's Harley hands down.

2006 Street Bob--mine
2001 XL883---hers
Ol Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.