possible trip to Montana on brand new bike : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

scottq60 wants to know Dino or Syn?
possible trip to Montana on brand new bike

Question...I'm thinking about riding my brand new Ultra from Kentucky to Montana and back, starting in ~3 weeks...how many miles should I try to get in between now and then before I change the fluids and head out on this trip? I've only got a little over 300 on it now. Should I try to get 1000 on it, change all the fluids then head out, or is 500 miles, then fluid change adequate? Any suggestions?

scottq60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

lonslo wants to know Dino or Syn?
500 is plenty.
lonslo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
keep the rpms down like ti says till ya hit 500...or not,depending on who you ask.stop and get the fluids changed or 1000 mile service done along the way.for instance,Yellowstone harley at Belgrade will do it for like 250,or copper canyon at Butte for 235.It'll cost ya 300 in Missoula.
We were out on my new one when I hit that,I had the oil changed then did the rest myself when I got home.
I put 2000 on mine the first 2 weeks,I would think in 3 weeks,and itbeing new and all,you'd ride it 1000 in the next 3 weeks no problem.

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglide View Post
...I would think in 3 weeks,and itbeing new and all,you'd ride it 1000 in the next 3 weeks no problem.
Especially since I have nothing better to do while the wife's at work!

Actually..she gave me a "honey-do" list today, so I've got PLENTY to keep me busy!

Last edited by scottq60; 07-18-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

utrvp is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonslo View Post
500 is plenty.
Wrong! Read your manual. 1000 miles is the first oil change.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Jefferson’s “Commonplace Book,” 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
utrvp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Though I'm pretty sure you're directing that comment at lonslo since you quoted them, I've read my owners manual and know that you are correct, utrvp. I just don't want to have to stop and pay a dealership along the way to do something I can do myself, MUCH cheaper! I don't have a problem paying for premium products...only with paying someone else for something I can do myself.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottq60 View Post
Though I'm pretty sure you're directing that comment at lonslo since you quoted them, I've read my owners manual and know that you are correct, utrvp. I just don't want to have to stop and pay a dealership along the way to do something I can do myself, MUCH cheaper! I don't have a problem paying for premium products...only with paying someone else for something I can do myself.
Ok, then it's simple. You have to ride the bike 1000 miles before your trip. Start now!
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

thefour wants to know Dino or Syn?
Why does it matter if he changes it 500 miles early? I know what the manual says but the logic fails me. I assume the major worry concerns the full cycle for the break in of the engine.
thefour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Agreed (Michael)! But there's still the issue of her NOT approving of me going by myself Though I reminded her that I've cris-crossed (sp?) this nation a few times by myself over the years, she's quick to point out that was when I was much younger and in better health.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

RG50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Should I try to get 1000 on it, change all the fluids then head out, or is 500 miles, then fluid change adequate?
I would try to get close to the 1000 miles and then do the 1K before you leave.
Besides the fluid change,the clutch and belt would be the only things adjusted that I can think of.

Sitting at a dealership on a trip for hours would not be fun!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

lonslo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrvp View Post
Wrong! Read your manual. 1000 miles is the first oil change.
Your first oil change is to flush out contaminants from manufacturing and wear flakes from parts mating together. The majority of mating of parts should be completed by 500 miles. I have had 6 new harleys since evo days, I ride a lot and dont want to have the oil changed on the road, so I do the initial oil change when it is convenient between 300 and 600 miles. I have put well over 100k on some of these bikes without any issue oil related issues.
I know what the manual says. It is a guideline of recommendations but you can use common sense also.
I also dont change the oil by the book. If i am on the road I dont have it changed, I like to do it myself. I have often been almost double what the book recommends. Hiway riding with little stop and go does not contaminate the oil like short bar hopping trips.
Again , use a little common sense.
lonslo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG50 View Post
Sitting at a dealership on a trip for hours would not be fun!
Exactly... it's hard to say how much of a delay that could be.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonslo View Post
Your first oil change is to flush out contaminants from manufacturing and wear flakes from parts mating together. The majority of mating of parts should be completed by 500 miles. I have had 6 new harleys since evo days, I ride a lot and dont want to have the oil changed on the road, so I do the initial oil change when it is convenient between 300 and 600 miles. I have put well over 100k on some of these bikes without any issue oil related issues.
I know what the manual says. It is a guideline of recommendations but you can use common sense also.
I also dont change the oil by the book. If i am on the road I dont have it changed, I like to do it myself. I have often been almost double what the book recommends. Hiway riding with little stop and go does not contaminate the oil like short bar hopping trips.
Again , use a little common sense.
Your logic makes perfect sense. I tend to be a little anal, especially this being my first brand new Harley, but I don't want to have to have a service done while on a trip either...it's inconvenient, not to mention more expensive than it needs to be.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

mahote wants to know Dino or Syn?
You could always do an oil change prior and then one afterwards, what could it hurt.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Agreed (Michael)! But there's still the issue of her NOT approving of me going by myself Though I reminded her that I've cris-crossed (sp?) this nation a few times by myself over the years, she's quick to point out that was when I was much younger and in better health.
When you were younger you didn't have a new bike, a cell phone and a motorcycle towing service should you need it. That should compensate somewhat for age and loss of ability.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.