REMOVING Kuryakyn hand grips : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2003, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

scottsf wants to know Dino or Syn?
REMOVING Kuryakyn hand grips

I've seen lots of threads on the topic of removing stock grips and installing Kuryakyn grips.

I'm about to do just that with Kuryakyn premium ISO grips.

BUT, IF I don't like them, how do I get them off, particularly from the left side (03 dyna)? TIA
scottsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2003, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Lightnin wants to know where he is and how he got here
the technique is probably going to be similar (I haven't had to remove any ISO grips yet). Heat up the left grip with a hair dryer or something of the sort to goo up the adhesive and pull...a lot. I guess if you don't want the grip anymore and are just going to trash it you can get a punch and hammer it off but that's the very low tech way to get it off.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

supersport wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've got the Kury Iso Grips on my '99 FXDX and didn't glue the left grip on. It fit snugly enough without it and hasn't moved in 10,000 miles. It has been said that using compressed air will force the offending grip off once the glue is softened by heat or WD40 squirted beneath the grip with the little red tube that always shoots across the garage never to be seen again, but you'd have to fashion an expandable plug with an air coupling to put in the throttle side (radiator pressure testing expando fitting but smaller?). I see no need to glue it on in the first place.

SS
Old 07-18-2003, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Zadok wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree with supersport.....I put new grips on
and didnt bother using and adhesive on the
left one......It fits just snug enough that you
dont even notice unless you try to twist it.

Just Ride....
Zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

ksims1868 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've always used Hairspray to install the left grip. It is sticky enough after it sits for a few minutes that the grip won't slip...AT ALL, but slippery enough when first sprayed that the grip slides on effortlessly. That's my method and has been since my dirt-bike/motorcross days.
ksims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

JOYRYDE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yep same thing I've always used.
Just make sure it's an alcohol based hairspray.
Advertisement