Warranty Work : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

fatboylofreak wants to know Dino or Syn?
Warranty Work

Do I absolutely need to have an HD shop do my first 1000 mile service or can I do it myself without voiding the warranty?? They want $345 to do it, I can't afford that!
fatboylofreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Kokomo wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 1,000 mile service is more than just a fluid change. If you have the experience to wrench on it, have at it. Bolts and fasteners need checked with a torque wrench, bearings in the wheels and neck should be inspected, the list is in your service manual.
If you can afford to buy a new bike, you may not WANT to pay for the service, but you can afford it.
Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Kokomo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here's the link to Harley where you can enter you VIN and mileage and get the printout on what you need to do for the service:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/...bmLocale=en_US

Good luck with whichever you choose.
Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

HarleyLance wants to know Dino or Syn?
You don't have to have the dealer do the 1K service. The requirement is that this service be done. It can be done by you or another mechanic. Save the work order/receipts - you will need them if there is a problem that may result from this service

This is just me, but I will have my dealer do the 1K service. It's good IMO to have the bike looked over by the place I bought it from.

"Born to be wild, and then to take a nap."

Last edited by HarleyLance; 03-20-2011 at 01:50 AM.
HarleyLance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

NJ Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought my 08 SG new in January 09. The dealer did the first service, but I've done all the services since. I was an auto mechanic for 25 years so I have mechanical ability, just not a lot of experience on a Harley.
Get yourself a shop manual. It tells you what you need to know, and more importantly what you don't know. If it's your first Harley, the learning curve is a bit steep, but doable.
NJ Rider is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

cata5803 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Like others have said get a service manual from dealership and take it slow,you can do it.. I have a 2010 Limited and have done all services my self, saved a bunch of cash... You can do it.. I have over 30,000 miles now..
Old 03-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

pigrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
My problem with scheduled maint. at the dealer is that we all know what is supposed to be done, but do they actually do all that they are supposed to. I had to take my bike back after having maint.done on my bike once to have steering head bearings adjusted because they were too loose. The maint. that I just had done by the same shop they were supposed to have adjusted those bearings, there was no charge but then made me wonder what else hadn't been done. If you can do it you're self that's the way to go, then you'll know it was done & done right.
pigrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

fatoldfool wants to know Dino or Syn?
As long as I am physically and mentally able to do my own maintenance on everything, bikes, cars, trucks, house, tractor and equipment, I will do it so I KNOW it is done right. Not saying any dealership will short you, but I have watched car dealerships short checklists, and I suspect other places do it also. Buy the service manual and do it yourself if you have the capability.
fatoldfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just save the receipts showing you bought the filter, oil, etc..

They are *not* required to do it for your warranty, that is the law. That's the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

They actually taught us this when I was at MMI, that nobody should go around saying "the dealership has to do your service".

For them to require that they do it, they have to pay for it. And they ain't doin' that, are they ? LOL

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

LACOUNTRYHICK wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperDude View Post
Just save the receipts showing you bought the filter, oil, etc..

They are *not* required to do it for your warranty, that is the law. That's the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

They actually taught us this when I was at MMI, that nobody should go around saying "the dealership has to do your service".

For them to require that they do it, they have to pay for it. And they ain't doin' that, are they ? LOL
So work performed by an INDY or any other shop other than an HD dealer will NOT void your warranty?

2008 HARLEY DAVIDSON ROCKER C
LACOUNTRYHICK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
My first service is free. I priced three dealers around me before buying, and all of them included the first service free.
Thermodyne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

lonslo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACOUNTRYHICK View Post
So work performed by an INDY or any other shop other than an HD dealer will NOT void your warranty?
That is absolutely correct. The dealership only does warranty work for me , i do everything else and never a problem with the warranty.
lonslo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

04ctd wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
My first service is free. I priced three dealers around me before buying, and all of them included the first service free.
I keep a three ring binder for all my vehicles, and put all the crap in there: receipts for oil, tires, services,

you just have to have receipts, like if you change your own oil, write the Mileage on it, and throw it in the binder. if you are OCD, rip the top of the oil filter box and put in there.

that shows at xx mileage, you had it serviced.

FWIW, i think the "look over" of the 1k mile service is just peace of mind, for you, the Dealer, and the MoCo. think of it as a final "quality check"

and when you go to sell the scoot, you have all the labels, instructions and all that jazz to make it look like you babied it. it lets a new buyer know what is REALLY on the bike, by part number, too, like the Kurakyn brake light modulator and stuff like that.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.