Cruiser bobtails - love em' or hate 'em? - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
IronButt

tunnelrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
LOL gator....

That isn't my drive. That is just one of the roads around here. About a 50/50 mix of broken asphalt and dirt/gravel. Did you notice the trees laying at a 45 degree angle? I had stopped to take pics of the tornado damage on either side of the road and got one of the bike too. My private road and then my drive are dirt/sand and about 1/2 a mile long too. My bike stays dirty since I ride rain or shine year round. I even fashioned a mudflap hook on the downtube to keep mud out of the front cylinder fins. I drop it where I hit the public paved road and pick it back up on my way back in.
tunnelrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 06:08 AM   #47 (permalink)
bike peddler

Scrubs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahar View Post
what the hell you running for a rear tire on that ducks ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by green machine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelrat View Post
That is a car tire.
Guys,
I'm not saying BoomerBob was the 1st to use the Falken passenger car tire on his FXST, but I will say the idea's catching on:
VTF permalink to Who Has a Night Train - post#1805820

------------------FURY is a 2006 FXSTBi Night Train-----------------

A favorite quote: "You were born an original, don't die a copy."
Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #48 (permalink)
IronButt

gatornapper wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelrat View Post
LOL gator....

That isn't my drive. That is just one of the roads around here. About a 50/50 mix of broken asphalt and dirt/gravel. Did you notice the trees laying at a 45 degree angle? I had stopped to take pics of the tornado damage on either side of the road and got one of the bike too. My private road and then my drive are dirt/sand and about 1/2 a mile long too. My bike stays dirty since I ride rain or shine year round. I even fashioned a mudflap hook on the downtube to keep mud out of the front cylinder fins. I drop it where I hit the public paved road and pick it back up on my way back in.
We must be twins....cept I hadn't yet come up with the great idea of the removable mud flap. Mine stays dirty all the time too for the same reason....I never put it up for the winter. Friends suggest I have a 24" strip paved from my house in the woods to the paved road, but I think even that would be too expensive. Some friends will NOT ride their newer bikes down my drive.

Since the WG has the bobtail fender, both my plate and tailight are quickly covered with mud. I will certainly imitate your idea for the front. Remember - 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...'

Need to come up with another one for the rear......

Which reminds me -the snow/ice freeze/thaw cycle tears up my gravel road somethin' terrible and I need to put my special grave road grading blade on my tractor and get rid of all the potholes.....having a large family who loves to hang out here the road gets a lot more traffic than it's built for......wouldn't have it any other way tho.....

gatornapper

'97 FXDWG, Stage II, fully tricked-out AND '09 CVO 'Screamin' Eagle' FLTRSE3 w/Rinehart slip-ons, WindSplitter shield;
Restored Triumph's: '71 T100C Trophy 500; '72 T120V Bonneville, '73 T150V Trident

Patriot Guard Rider/Member For origin of "gatornapper", refer to Kosciusco County, Ind. court records, Walter Cronkite, Huntley/Brinkley evening news, & Indianapolis Star paper.
gatornapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #49 (permalink)
Clueless bitter old man

Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club Ahar joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubs View Post
Guys,
I'm not saying BoomerBob was the 1st to use the Falken passenger car tire on his FXST, but I will say the idea's catching on:
VTF permalink to Who Has a Night Train - post#1805820
I got to see if I can get me a 4x4 tire to fit the Uly, that should make it a better dual sport

I'm only responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.

I used to think I was overreacting, then I realized it was just a normal reaction to an abnormal amount of bullsh!t.
Ahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #50 (permalink)
IronButt

tunnelrat wants to know Dino or Syn?
I used a 1/4" eye bolt, cut short, and cut part of the eye off to make a hook. There is a pre-existing hole in the brace under the neck and I simply bolted it there. I have used several different flaps but the best I have found is an empty 24 pack soda case laid flat to make it double thick. Poke a hole at the top and instant disposable mud flap!
I just wipe off the tail light as needed.

I do give it a good scrubbing about 4 times a year but if I tried to keep it clean everyday I'd never have time for anything else.
tunnelrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #51 (permalink)
IronButt

jonny oz wants to know Dino or Syn?
you're missing nothing...the bobtail looks great!!
I was seriously considering changing the fender on my '03 sporty to a bobtail, but then I was lucky enough to find my current ride.

I will comment, however, on the newer style bobtail, for example, on the fat bob. They smoothed it so its not as curvy...I really like the original...too bad they did this, or the newer bikes with this fender would look much better IMO.
Big Boyz street heads
V&H Hi Lo Straightshots, black heat wrapped
Ness Big Sucker
PC3
07 style camplate and oil pump
Andrews 26N conversion cams
Hippo VPC
SE quick install adjustables
Homemade paint (flat/gloss flame job)
100 TQ, 89 HP, tuned by R&L Motorcycles
jonny oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #52 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Gold Digger wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
I got to see if I can get me a 4x4 tire to fit the Uly, that should make it a better dual sport
I like the bob tail... its a matter of personal taste tho'... it would suck it everyone liked the same thing... be kind of a dull world..

<<<<<<<<<<<<
I've got a couple extra 40" Toyo's laying around if ya would like to give'em a try... there a little wide 15" or so....

by the way...hehhe, I like yur glasses... 'specially the mirror part!!
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #53 (permalink)
FNG :)

chevypilot wants to know Dino or Syn?
My 02. Also currently rebuilding a 96
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-20 13.47.02.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	74888  
chevypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 AM   #54 (permalink)
Seasonably Uncool

Sponk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Iīve always loved the bobtail fender (duckīs ass). It is an iconic, unmistakeable look. Now, a "bobbed" (as in shortened) or simply short fender CAN look good if itīs done right and the lines flow, but most of what I see people do and especially what Harley is putting out looks like a backyard hack job. Here in Germany many aftermarket companies offer those short tails that just make the bikes look unbalanced. Click this for an example.

Take the Blackline: a great looking bike, many nice details- but the tail end? That hacked fender looks plain at best and the narrow 144 tire ridiculous.

Bobtail fans: Check out what this guy here on the forum is doing with Blacklines!

Sponk

crashing sucks
Sponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #55 (permalink)
IronButt

grndpndr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like the rear duck tail fenders. I still had to mess with mine tho. I just can't help myself! lol... I carved the lower front edge out to match my wheel pattern somewhat. Its hard to tell in a pic but you can see it when the light reflecks off of it a little. I tried not to go overboard with it.

grndpndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #56 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nice touch Grndpndr ...
And we rolled...... clean out of sight

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #57 (permalink)
IronButt

Hot Sparks wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have always liked bobtail fender's.
Hot Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #58 (permalink)
Seasonably Uncool

Sponk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did you notice, that they gave the short (bobbed) fender on the CVO Breakout a little flip- kinda like a bobtail? Itīs not a full blown bobtail, but at least they didnīt go with the hacked look and it shows that that ducks ass may have some friends yet in the MoCoīs design team...

Sponk

crashing sucks
Sponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #59 (permalink)
IronButt

Thundermug wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
what the hell you running for a rear tire on that ducks ass
YEAH! pull the tire off your ole ladies Kia Rio!
Advertisement