Battery Tender - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 04:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

FLSTFI Dave wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDWG03 View Post
So you guys leave it on the tender for months at a time?
I leave the battery in the bike. I leave the tender connected to the battery for months.

A tender is much different than a charger. It's output is much less. The tender also monitors the state of charge and will turn on and off the charge as needed.

13 CVO Road King Anniversary, #162
12 CVO Road Glide, White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black
03 FLSTFI Silver and Black, now has real fire radical paint set. 95", S&S 570G cams, V&H Big Shot Longs
11 FLHX Street Glide, Purple and black, wifes ride
09 FLSTC Heritage Teal and Antique White, wifes ride
FLSTFI Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Once you discover just how good a Tender is for a lead acid battery,it will become apparent batteries can stay in place.All I ever did after seeing this, was make sure all the corrosion was gone and use a spray to prevent it.All batteries stay in place.
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

Galdog wants to know Dino or Syn?
That's basically what I've done, left battery in bike and ran the permanent connections. Just a matter of plugging it in. Oils are changed, stabilizer has been added, and getting a lift soon to get the tires off the ground.
Then just watch the weather and hope for a decent day every so often to go for a ride around town.

2006 Street Bob
Galdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

dtroll wants to know Dino or Syn?
Some really good prices on the Tender...Plus and Jr. Ordered one of each at Amazon. $66.00 total with free shipping and no tax. Some of my Christmas shopping is done.
dtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thanks! I needed that.

Scabbydoo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoBetz View Post
Yes.
Battery tenders have a regulation circuit built in. They will not over charger like a normal battery charger. They have a float circuit that maintains a full charge. Set it and forget it.
What he said.

95" Bore by Zippers - Wiseco 9.5 Pistons - T-Man StageII Heads - Andrews 37G Cams - Stock Crossover Dual Headers
Samson Fishtail SlipOn's - TTS Mastertune - Build and Dyno by JD's Cycle Works

HP=98.03 - TQ=102.14 Uncorrected
HP=93.36 - TQ=97.27 SAE Corrected

Cost of build, about right. Value of grins, PRICELESS!

Scabbydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

dickey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdog View Post
That's basically what I've done, left battery in bike and ran the permanent connections. Just a matter of plugging it in. Oils are changed, stabilizer has been added, and getting a lift soon to get the tires off the ground.
Then just watch the weather and hope for a decent day every so often to go for a ride around town.
I wouldn't bother putting the bike on a lift. You chance it falling off, or doing some underbody damage when it is totally unecessary. just move it an inch or so once a month. Besides--it seems really anal!
dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

Dickey, makes sense. Never used to put my other bikes on lifts. Move the bike around the garage quite a bit so probably skip the lift.

2006 Street Bob
Old 12-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
FNG :)

Hwawonyu wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just bought Tender JR on Amazon for $22. Came with the pigtail that you install and leave on. Now I just roll in the garage and plug in.
Easy!!
Hwawonyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Been using the batter Tender Jr for many years. Put the supplied pig-tails on for permanent connection. Plug/unplug takes all of 5 seconds. My last battery for the softail lasted nearly 7 years.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Sturge wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bought a 'supersmart' Battery Tender model about 6 years ago. Just a 'wallwart' you plug in to an outlet and a small harness you rig up to your battery connections. When not in use, stow the harness under the seat somewhere...when winter comes just plug it in. Couldn't be easier...as stated above, the 'smart' Tender senses degree of charge and ramps down the amperage as needed so you are not 'over charging' and shortening the life of your battery. I leave battery in bike and Tender connected all winter.
Andrews 37 cam
SE camplate/HO oil pump/tensioner upgrade
Dan Vance Ported TB (48mm)
SE II Slip-on's (soon to be 2-1 ST SuperMeg?)
Built by me with help from VTF
Sturge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

Yea, have the pigtails installed and the tender is plugged in. Probably a good thing as it's been colder than hell. Did I say I hate winter.
Now I'm gonna get some highway pegs installed and some other goodies while the bike is in hibernation.
Thanks people!

2006 Street Bob
Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #27 (permalink)

Mike5380 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I almost passed this thread by, but now I'm glad I opened it up. Been using a cheap charger for years that I bought from Sears and in my experience, my batteries only last for a couple of years. So, I have just always planned on replacing the battery every couple years.

So, you're saying that a tender will not overcharge the battery? and you have batteries that have been useful for ... how many years using a tender? What is the best quality battery tender you can buy and about how much?

A new battery will cost upwards of $100. Does it make more sense to nurse an old battery for several years with a tender, or to just plan on replacing it every couple of years?
Mike5380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

dtroll wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5380 View Post
So, you're saying that a tender will not overcharge the battery? and you have batteries that have been useful for ... how many years using a tender? What is the best quality battery tender you can buy and about how much?
I've had batteries last 7 years and never on a tender but a good tender will keep it maintained without overcharging it. Keeps it in it's prime as long as it should last...some longer and some probably shorter.

As mentioned several times in this thread the "Battery Tender Jr. or Plus" is a good one. Amazon has the Jr. for about $22.00.

http://batterytender.com/battery-ten...-at-0-75a.html
dtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
Premium Member

Tsani wants to know Dino or Syn?
From another site:

Just a heads up on a battery tender for a Christmas gift.
Battery Tender - Battery Tender Junior Charger
Price: $17.95 + shipping.
www.jafrum.com
Mild Porting
K&N 3909 Filter Kit
Cycle Shack Tapered Slip-ons
Progessive 422's
Progressive Springs Front Forks with Heavy weight oil
Roller Chain Conversion
Andrews TW21N cams
Tsani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #30 (permalink)

HogLeg1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have 3 Tender Jr's... 1 for the Quad, 1 for the dirt bike, and 1 for the Harley. They work great! no more replacing batteries and they always have a full charge. The best price I have seen on the Tender Jr. was at Jafrum for $19.95 ea. on sale, my local bike shop wanted $39.95 for the Tender Jr.
Advertisement