Riding on Terceira Island, Azores? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

fixins wants to know Dino or Syn?
Riding on Terceira Island, Azores?

I have orders to Lajes Field, Azores, anyone ridden there? I have a some reservations on bringing my softail Custom over there. Is it worth bringing it over? How is the support? Ie mechanic's, shops, and laws?

Thanks
fixins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Maybe see if the command there has a website, or call your new unit's DSN? Have the base cops where you are look up the base cops' DSN there? Do you have a PoC there?

I'm just trying to throw some ideas out in case you don't get anything better. I had about a 2 hour layover there on my way to Kuwait once. It's real pretty.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Ashley wants to know Dino or Syn?
You would run out of new places to ride to pretty quickly. Road laws are the same as for mainland Portugal. You'll find mechanics, I doubt many (if any) have seen a Harley, but they should be able to keep any bike on the road.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Maybe see if the command there has a website, or call your new unit's DSN? Have the base cops where you are look up the base cops' DSN there? Do you have a PoC there?

I'm just trying to throw some ideas out in case you don't get anything better. I had about a 2 hour layover there on my way to Kuwait once. It's real pretty.

joe
Yes I have a sponsor and have looked on line and talked to people that have been stationed there but no one I have talked to is a rider. I wanted to get a point of view from some one that has ridden there.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

jammerx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixins View Post
Yes I have a sponsor and have looked on line and talked to people that have been stationed there but no one I have talked to is a rider. I wanted to get a point of view from some one that has ridden there.
What the harm in taking it? I just wouldn't ride it with straight pipes over there. I was stationed in Spain and again in Italy in the 90's and the best thing I ever did was bring my bike. Maybe you can take leave and ship it to Portugal and ride Europe!
jammerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixins View Post
I have orders to Lajes Field, Azores, anyone ridden there? I have a some reservations on bringing my softail Custom over there. Is it worth bringing it over? How is the support? Ie mechanic's, shops, and laws?

Thanks
I spent 20+ yrs in the Air Force with lots of assignments. Never stationed at Lajes though. My advice is...if it's a nice bike and something you want to keep looking nice then don't ship it over there. I've known guys that did ship bikes to places like that and they were pretty beat up by the time they got there and back. You can expect a few broken/dented parts by the time it gets there. Then you have to deal with claims and trying to get parts to fix it...not to mention local laws for tag, insurance, etc. Either put it in storage or sell it before you go. If you want to ride then buy a local beater while you are there. You'll be able to enjoy the island experience better without worrying about your bike. The island probably has a lot of unpaved roads so i'd probably lean towards an enduro type bike.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq

Last edited by MilesToGo; 10-12-2010 at 04:04 PM.
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah it has V&H Long Shots on it so It is pretty loud. Also in the process of getting fresh paint due to an encounter with a deer. Probably have my Step-dad, the original owner, store it for me. He will get to enjoy the new paint if I can ever get my damn painter to call me back.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't know how to contact this group but they may be able to answer some of your questions.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0863037&ref=mf
Advertisement