Best handlebar bushings to negate vibration : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Forum > V-Twin Forum General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

TonyJ wants to know Dino or Syn?
Best handlebar bushings to negate vibration

For some reason, since she was first created, my bobber with its S&S 113 has always had a very anoying vibration in the handlebars. It it only felt in the grips. After about 10 miles it can make your hands fall asleep. None of my other bikes have this problem, even the ones with more stroke. Nothing is vibrating off the bike and no bolts are coming lose. All mouting bolts are tight and primary chain is adjusted correctly.

I currently have some black polyurathane bushings in there and was considering trying something else. (I actually went to HD and bought a set of the stock rubber ones, but of course this proved to be to difficult of a task for the counter person, and instead of the bushings for the Softails, he gave me the smaller ones that fit the FLTs, so back I go tomorrow)

Anyhow, has anyone had a similar vibration and what seemed to be the cure?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

JustDave71 wants to know where he is and how he got here
I don't think riser bushings are gonna fix that.

are you dead solid certain your motor mounts are properly torqued? over-tight can be just as much of a problem as under.

is the engine running right? timed properly? etc...

I would say stop and think if something might be a little out of line?

real experts will be here in no time with some deeper suggestions
JustDave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Anti-RUB

petrock wants to know Dino or Syn?
If the riser bushings are worn out or lose, then it could cause excess vibration. I'm using the HD poly bushings in my ride and don't have a problem riding for hours at a time.

Could be weak/flexible risers or handle bars. If the risers or handle bars are made from thin tubing, they will tend to vibrate more then those with thicker tubing. Note: by thick/thin tubing I mean the thickness of the tubing wall, not its diameter.

Have you also made sure that your steering head bearing is adjusted properly? If it is too loose, it could lead to excess vibration in the trees and up into the handle bars.

Another reason for the hands gong numb could be your riding position on the bike. From the pics of your bike, you may be leaning to far forward resulting in you leaning on the handle bars. This can easily make your hands go numb in a short period of time. If thats the case, then a seat that pushes you forward an inch or two could make a big difference.

Good luck...
Python Staggered Exhaust w/ Quiet Baffles
HD Primary Chain Auto-Tensioner
SE Hydraulic Cam Plate & High-Flow oil pump
SERT

Wish List (in order of "Gotta Have It"-ness):
14" Ape/Gimp Hangers (have, but needs install)
Black Braided Throttle/Fuel/Brake/Clutch lines
Black Powdercoated Fork Sliders and Triple Trees
My Two Front Teeph
petrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

Wasabi wants to know Dino or Syn?
Anyone have the part # for the HD poly bushings handy? I'm putting new handlebars (HD Bombay) on my 2007 Deuce and want to change the bushings at the same time.

Thanks.
Wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrock View Post
If the riser bushings are worn out or lose, then it could cause excess vibration. I'm using the HD poly bushings in my ride and don't have a problem riding for hours at a time.

Could be weak/flexible risers or handle bars. If the risers or handle bars are made from thin tubing, they will tend to vibrate more then those with thicker tubing. Note: by thick/thin tubing I mean the thickness of the tubing wall, not its diameter.

Have you also made sure that your steering head bearing is adjusted properly? If it is too loose, it could lead to excess vibration in the trees and up into the handle bars.

Another reason for the hands gong numb could be your riding position on the bike. From the pics of your bike, you may be leaning to far forward resulting in you leaning on the handle bars. This can easily make your hands go numb in a short period of time. If thats the case, then a seat that pushes you forward an inch or two could make a big difference.

Good luck...

Good idea with the leaning over. Im going to pull the oil filter today and check all the mounts again. Ill also change up the seat a bit and see what differance it makes. After that Ill have to take it to my shop for the timing. (I pulled back the timing about 3 degrees on Sat, and it didnt seem to make a diff.,)

Do you know if I pull the filter off, if all the oil will try to drain thru there?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

murphdog wants to know where he is and how he got here
I've tried the H-D polyurethane bushings on two different Dynas and they caused more handlebar vibration in both cases. Get the correct rubber bushings and see if that doesn't help. If you had real high bars, the polyurethane bushings would help with keeping the bars from flopping around, but it looks like you have low flat track bars or something similar.

p.s. Also make sure your bushing washers aren't touching the triple tree, this can negate the purpose of the bushings.

Last edited by murphdog; 04-05-2010 at 07:01 AM.
murphdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

LOHAWG wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you can find or make something that doesn't look to gawdy bar end weights will help.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphdog View Post
I've tried the H-D polyurethane bushings on two different Dynas and they caused more handlebar vibration in both cases. Get the correct rubber bushings and see if that doesn't help. If you had real high bars, the polyurethane bushings would help with keeping the bars from flopping around, but it looks like you have low flat track bars or something similar.

p.s. Also make sure your bushing washers aren't touching the triple tree, this can negate the purpose of the bushings.
Im pretty sure they are touching.
What to do then? Put a small washer between the sleave and the bushing washers to keep them off the trees?

Thanks
Advertisement